What's new
There's no specific game you're guaranteed to get a specific revision, I've seen games on all different revisions because Capcom did factory conversions.

You ideally want a revision 6 or 7 board. I've found most Marvel vs Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter are on rev 7 (but I've also seen MvC on rev 3) if you want a reasonably priced option to look out for.

I also feel like your current board may still be able to function if you reinstate your EXC5 cap.

As Mitsu mentioned the Rev 3/4 can be really finicky but I've never had any problems with DS kits on them apart from stuck keys cleared by shorting the cap.

Decrypted ROMs do also sometimes lock up and the cap needs to be shorted.
Thanks - solid advice 👍

UPDATE 2:

@Darksoft @Mitsurugi-w

I managed to clear the keys by shorting the EXC5 points from underneath the board. I have managed to boot the OLD decrypted ROM set (AVALAUNCH ones still do not work and show a key writing error) and all games are working.

Here comes a new challenge...

Upon flashing the games I have these garbled graphics - one screen (blue one) shows a row of zeros when you flash a new game.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Taken the whole kit apart and cleaned all ROM Sockets with Isopropyl.
2. Reseated and checked for bent pins.
3. Examined the A/B Board connections and used support clips.
4. I even.plugged the B-Board straight into the A-Board without the B-Board shell for a tight fit.

Any further advice would really be appreciated.

DSC_0168.JPG
DSC_0167~2.JPG
DSC_0166~2.JPG
DSC_0165~2.JPG

Last edited:
That looks to me like a bad connection between the A and B boards or more likely a bad connection between the main (large) board of the multi kit and the B board

You may have one or more dodgy sockets in the graphics area and the kit isn't making good contact.

That looks to me like a bad connection between the A and B boards or more likely a bad connection between the main (large) board of the multi kit and the B board

You may have one or more dodgy sockets in the graphics area and the kit isn't making good contact.
I have checked but, perhaps, there is a dodgy socket on the B-Board that I've missed. 🤔

Graphics ROMs are sockets 13-20
Thanks, but the large board doesn't plug into those sockets, only the 2 interface adapters right above them. I have default ROM chips in 13-20 on the Rev.4 - do they need to be removed? Confused?!

DSC_0162.JPG

Last edited:
Oh sorry you have a rev 2

Ok so you're connected to the 2 large IDC connectors at the top.

These could absolutely be dirty and causing bad contact. Try removing and reseating the kit a couple of times and see if it improves (remove the interconnect first so you're not pulling out the main program board)

Oh sorry you have a rev 2

Ok so you're connected to the 2 large IDC connectors at the top.

These could absolutely be dirty and causing bad contact. Try removing and reseating the kit a couple of times and see if it improves (remove the interconnect first so you're not pulling out the main program board)
Sorry, I should have said it was a Rev.2 DSM.

Do you think I should remove those ROMS? I see Scarlet Sprites' video on Youtube has them removed on a Rev.1 DSM and Rev.4 CPS combo.

View: https://youtu.be/Faj3cPKfnNE

Yes they should be removed.
I have removed all 8 chips and will give the entire board a good clean this afternoon. I should have built the consolised CPS2 and installed the DSM Kit myself.

DSC_0170.JPG

Last edited:
Ohh you didn't remove the original ROMS? Please have a look at the instructions. It's clearly stated that this is needed.
I didn't install the kit, but oddly the unit was working fine for the most part. It's bizarre the expert in question didn't remove them, and my limited knowledge suggests this interferes with the data lines passing through.

Anyway, I have given the B-board a deep blast with contact cleaner and will leave to dry for thr rest of the day.

UPDATE 3 to follow 👀

Last edited:
UPDATE 3

It's
fixed!

I'm not sure if it was (1) removal of the 8 ROM Chips between Banks 13-20 or (2) a Deep Clean of the B-board with Contact Cleaner, but all decrypted games are working perfectly.

Thanks to each and everyone who chimed in with suggestions :)

This is truly a great community of like minded enthusiasts.

Hello community!

I'm Martin from Austria and I joined new to this forum.

I purchased my first (a complete) CPS2 Darksoft Kit with A&B-board, 4gb SD-card with roms pre-installed on Ebay Italy. Now I have sound issues (beeps all over the time).

The seller can't help in this case because he bought the hole kit plug & play for his cabinet too.

I opened up the case and saw that I have the last version of the kit (Champion Edition). Because the B-board is an older version (93646B-3) the key writing wires are soldered to CN2 on the B-board.

With the installed roms all games start but have the bad sound. I loaded Smokemonster's last rom base pack for key writing but the roms don't work.

That's also weird for me. I only want to play the original released game roms (no hacks etc.) and so this should be the right pack.

I don't know which roms are used on the installed SD-card.

I'm completely new on this and I hope someone can help me. I've attached a video with the sound issue and pictures of the boards.

I'm looking forward to your replies.

All the best & stay healthy!

p.s.: I tried it without the GAL-chip and booting up without the SD-card in the drive. All the sound issues are happening again.

Attachments

• 5503E692-0096-4156-87BC-F4CEBAA0D448.jpeg
    5503E692-0096-4156-87BC-F4CEBAA0D448.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 63755213-D45E-43AB-895A-62A9116D37D3.jpeg
    63755213-D45E-43AB-895A-62A9116D37D3.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 103
  • DF464EA2-F27E-4FB1-B337-57CBCC479E7D.jpeg
    DF464EA2-F27E-4FB1-B337-57CBCC479E7D.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Hello community!

I'm Martin from Austria and I joined new to this forum.

I purchased my first (a complete) CPS2 Darksoft Kit with A&B-board, 4gb SD-card with roms pre-installed on Ebay Italy. Now I have sound issues (beeps all over the time).

The seller can't help in this case because he bought the hole kit plug & play for his cabinet too.

I opened up the case and saw that I have the last version of the kit (Champion Edition). Because the B-board is an older version (93646B-3) the key writing wires are soldered to CN2 on the B-board.

With the installed roms all games start but have the bad sound. I loaded Smokemonster's last rom base pack for key writing but the roms don't work.

That's also weird for me. I only want to play the original released game roms (no hacks etc.) and so this should be the right pack.

I don't know which roms are used on the installed SD-card.

I'm completely new on this and I hope someone can help me. I've attached a video with the sound issue and pictures of the boards.

I'm looking forward to your replies.

All the best & stay healthy!

p.s.: I tried it without the GAL-chip and booting up without the SD-card in the drive. All the sound issues are happening again.
First of all . The installation look awful ! Sorry for you , Martin ... but that glue looks suspect to me .... in this kind of instalatiobs i didint seen soldered parts with hot glue !

If you have basic solder skills , made yourself again the installation , if not , fir sure can be sorted with a help from someone who knows to do this for you !

First of all . The installation look awful ! Sorry for you , Martin ... but that glue looks suspect to me .... in this kind of instalatiobs i didint seen soldered parts with hot glue !

If you have basic solder skills , made yourself again the installation , if not , fir sure can be sorted with a help from someone who knows to do this for you !
Yes, I‘m unhappy with that hot glue solution too. :(

Yes, I‘m unhappy with that hot glue solution too. :(

Back