What's new

gamemaster14

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a Simpsons Bowling board complete in cage off ebay. Was sold as not working.

Everything in the initial hardware test comes up as OK except for 11p.

The manual says if any of the flash roms come up as bad you press the test button and it will reprogram them but nothing happens.

All the hardware does is goes through the hardware test report thr 11p bad and resets and does it again.

Can anyone suggest what can be done? I cleaned the board with some alcohol including some spots that didn't look to nice but no change, any help would be appreciated.

how can it re-flash, do es have a cd or something?

Yeah system runs off a CD-rom drive but pressing the test button like the manual says to, does nothing.

I looked through the MAME driver for this board but it didn't teach me much useful for you. That chip isn't mentioned or at least not by that indicator so you may need to get a picture of the chip.

2 things come to mind

Less likely - cd has a scratch or something, causing bad flash, and the rom doesn't pass verification

More likely - bad chip

Check your voltages too. Chips need stable power to flash.

Without knowing what kind of IC is installed at 11p this is about as best I can guess.

Took a couple pictures, one of the full board with 11p circled and a close up.

I have not been able to get this so called flash chip reprogramming thing to even happen let alone succeed. The manual says press the test button, others have said hold test and service. Nothing happens.

Cleaned the cd disc, was able to rip an image of it without errors.

Edit: Upon some further research, the flash rom check is after the main hardware check and will not start unless the main chips are ok,so any help on the 11p chip would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210525_074414.jpg
    20210525_074414.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210525_074451.jpg
    20210525_074451.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
So, I would figure if this chip is replaced, as long as nothing else is wrong, the board should, in theory work again?

Is there anyone I could have do this repair for me as I would not know how to do it myself?

well i would swap it with another ram first to see if the fault changes - if not then you dont want to waste time/money getting another ram.
it could just as well be a bad track or solder joint or a chip linked to the ram.

Had the same error on my Hyper Athlete board.
I ended up replacing the spu chip. Took one off an old PSX motherboard.

Back