What's new

clintcronin

Student
Reaction score
I’ve got a cps3 that appears to work properly except for the player 1 heavy kick P1B6 . In the bios test menu it is stuck with a “1” value. I’ve tried cleaning the jamma edge with isopropyl, I’ve tested the board on two different cabinets with working controls but still no luck. I was able to trace the button to the series of resistor arrays next to the jamma edge , but I’m not quite sure what else I can do to diagnose this after this step.

In looking for broken traces of things out of place in general I saw a small chip that sits next to the “custom” 2929 chip with a broken leg labeled 6103FPJ . Does anyone know what this chip is responsible for ? Could it be the cause of my missing input ? Are there any additional steps I can take to debug this issue ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• D110CD4C-BCFC-4D30-B2BB-BF0884A1183D.jpeg
    D110CD4C-BCFC-4D30-B2BB-BF0884A1183D.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 103
it's most likely that big Capcom ASIC in your picture. That controls all of the inputs and I've run into more than one CPS3 mobo where a button was stuck ON as a result of a fault internal to that chip.

There are a few custom Capcom Resistor networks between that chip and the kick connector that you can verify to rule out, you'll be lucky if that's the issue. More likely than not you'll need to replace that custom.

You mentioned cleaning the JAMMA edge, but that's irrelevant because P1B6 isn't on the JAMMA edge, it's on the kick connector.
Step 1 is to unplug the kick harness and see if it's still stuck on (this will rule out a problem on your harness or control panel).
After that use a multimeter to trace the P1 B6 pin from the connector to every step back to the Custom to see if it measures as stuck ON...

Player 1 Coin 1 was also stuck on initially. Cleaning the jamma edge remedied that input. P1B6 stays on regardless whether the kick harness is attached or not. That was one of the first scenarios I tested for.

What's strange is that I started with two non working inputs but now after cleaning the board a bit with IPA the 1P coin now reports "0" in the test menu and functions properly in game as well now. I checked continuity between each wire in the cps2 kick and the resistor array but I'm not sure what needs to be measured from that point. It seems like all kick inputs connect to either array 8 or 10.

How many wires are required for the kick harness on the cps3 ? Mine has 6 populated but the common ground is not wired up on the kick harness.

My kick harness is attached. Works fine with my cps2, and other pcbs.

Attachments

• 14DC1127-B472-41BD-A186-826AB8255192.jpeg
    14DC1127-B472-41BD-A186-826AB8255192.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 63
hey man, did you managed to fix this? i have the same issue but with 2p heavy kick
No. I replaced the resistor array that coincides with the P1B6 / HK input , but this was not the culprit. It’s perhaps the 2929 custom IC, but I’m not certain. Hopefully someone makes a reproduction ship or is willing to sell me one from a broken board or something at some point down the road. For now I’ve got a third strike kit that I paid way too much money for that is missing a control input on player one. Pretty bummed but I don’t have another path forward at the present time unfortunately.

No. I replaced the resistor array that coincides with the P1B6 / HK input , but this was not the culprit. It’s perhaps the 2929 custom IC, but I’m not certain. Hopefully someone makes a reproduction ship or is willing to sell me one from a broken board or something at some point down the road. For now I’ve got a third strike kit that I paid way too much money for that is missing a control input on player one. Pretty bummed but I don’t have another path forward at the present time unfortunately.
do you think i could be having the same issue? i checked the traces from the harness and they seem to be working

I was never able to fix mine, I tried swapping out the 2929 from a parts board but ended up with further complications

im fortunate to have another full set so the one with the damage at least i can set jojo as it only uses 4 buttons

Back