What's new
On a side note, do you mean something like this?
Completely different from that actually. I love OA, but their forte isn't necessarily on the project/technical side of the hobby. Their technical documentation tends to be rather static. Rather, what I am suggesting is a sage moderating the discussion and laying out the ground rules that would set the stage for a platform of sorts. I work in the Silicon Valley. I picked up a book discussing the power of a platform. The platform itself builds its value from content provided by its users. Some rules are outlined. But within those rules, the content is provided by the users. Remains focused. Builds value. A few of us on this forum in a short time have reached out to each other IRL and lent a helping hand when needed. So often the discussion simply ends with "Send the board off to this guy." Dangerous for that inevitable time when that guy leaves the scene for whatever reason. I think some attempts have been made. But having a sage at this art helming the effort would really be the centerpiece for the platform to build momentum.

So yeah, a good start is a handbook of sorts loaded with tool recommendations. Techniques. Practical theory. All written in lay-speak of course :)

Another side note is, I live in California which is the mecha, barnyard storage, or sadly even graveyard for many arcade PCB's. I have seen a ton of arcade operators just pile their boards into the corner of their warehouses when they no longer generate revenue. If only there were more people that had these skills, life could be breathed into these arcade boards again. Here is a picture I took of a recent arcade operator visit. See all those bins in the back. That lay across a 40ft wall full of plastic bins containing nothing but arcade PCB's in various states of repair :/

IMG_71151.jpg

As far as I can see from the look of the board, All those EPROMs you see there are either the sound CPU program and data or the bootcode for the MIPS processor. The graphics is entirely loaded from HDD into the huge pile of RAM that is on board. The three FPGAs do the rendering, mixing and other stuff-ing for the graphics. If you have graphics problem I rather really hope you can replace the HDD with a new one containing a dumped image and be done with it. All Alteras have a sticker on them, which makes me fear they are preprogrammed. Unless somebody dumped them, they had better not be the problem! Otherwise you might try replacing the RAMs, but if the board is really that fragile you might end up doing more damage. Of course, mine is all just a shot in the dark. Let's see when you get the board.
So, I took a risk and won an eBay auction for two KI2 conversion boards. These can be de-converted ack to KI1 boards. One board works 100%, the other one has graphical issues (wavy lines). If the wavy lines issue is rooted in a faulty HDD, then that is an easy fix. Will keep you updated and post a repair log in the appropriate forum.

So, I took a risk and won an eBay auction for two KI2 conversion boards. These can be de-converted ack to KI1 boards. One board works 100%, the other one has graphical issues (wavy lines). If the wavy lines issue is rooted in a faulty HDD, then that is an easy fix. Will keep you updated and post a repair log in the appropriate forum.
So no luck after reburning the sound roms. I actually burned the sound roms for KI1. But before doing this, powered the board up to KI2. The same exact graphical issues exist. Started another thread here asking for help. Thanks!

Back