What's new

Worthing

Beginner
Reaction score
So I'm not holding my breath for a simple/easy solution here, but I'd really like if I could find some way to rotate the screen on my new net city by myself without hurting myself or the cabinet.

Obviously the screen is incredibly heavy so I doubt there's any "easy" way. But it would be nice if I could occasionally play some vertical shmups.

Or if there's some sorta magical kit to shove the rotating mechanism of an egret in there, that'd be awesome! Lol

There’s no simple solution, sadly.

You can seriously hurt yourself moving such a heavy item at such an awkward position as seen here. Additionally, you risk damaging the neck of the tube, etc.

If you have to do it yourself, I would recommend laying the cab down and using a hoist to pull the tube out and reposition.

There’s no simple solution, sadly.

You can seriously hurt yourself moving such a heavy item at such an awkward position as seen here. Additionally, you risk damaging the neck of the tube, etc.

If you have to do it yourself, I would recommend laying the cab down and using a hoist to pull the tube out and reposition.
Thanks the reply! I had tried search the forums, but hadn't come across that thread. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the link.

I'm surprised how cheap an electric hoist is. Seems kinda silly, but that may be the best solution.

Do you really not have any friends who will help you with something every once in a while? Because the way to do it is with two people. It's safer for you, and safer for the tube. It would really suck if you were just impatient and cracked your neck (mostly mean the CRT here) because you didn't want to wait until your homie could stop by.

Do you really not have any friends who will help you with something every once in a while? Because the way to do it is with two people. It's safer for you, and safer for the tube. It would really suck if you were just impatient and cracked your neck (mostly mean the CRT here) because you didn't want to wait until your homie could stop by.
I've got friends who could help (and I'll certainly do that if there's really not a good alternative), but ideally it'd be nice if some afternoon I felt the impulse to play a vertical game I could do that on my own without having to schedule something with a friend.

I do have two cats whose schedules are pretty open (they nap most of the day). One of them is pretty chonky too. Maybe they could help?

I have rotated a net city monitor myself but I don't recommend doing it by yourself. I'm 6'2" and was playing hockey regularly when I did it, so I was in a little better shape than now lol. Anyway I did it with the cab upright, and front/rear surrounds removed. I'm not sure how the logistics of laying a [new] net city on it's back would be. I wouldn't use a lift though, I would definitely use a friend if possible. I'm not sure if new net cities are any easier to disassemble than "normal" net cities, but rotation is more of a pain than a blast city for example, as more parts have to be removed to accomplish it, so naturally I just have 2 net cities and leave one rotated lol. (Seriously, I bought a 2nd one because I didn't want to have to rotate a monitor in one more than once).

I have rotated a net city monitor myself but I don't recommend doing it by yourself. I'm 6'2" and was playing hockey regularly when I did it, so I was in a little better shape than now lol. Anyway I did it with the cab upright, and front/rear surrounds removed. I'm not sure how the logistics of laying a [new] net city on it's back would be. I wouldn't use a lift though, I would definitely use a friend if possible. I'm not sure if new net cities are any easier to disassemble than "normal" net cities, but rotation is more of a pain than a blast city for example, as more parts have to be removed to accomplish it, so naturally I just have 2 net cities and leave one rotated lol. (Seriously, I bought a 2nd one because I didn't want to have to rotate a monitor in one more than once).
A NNC I would not lay on its back, always worry that plastic back case will crack apart. Also, 2 people doing it is much better. Rotating a crt often that doesn't have a mech is just a pain in the ass, I would just get a 2nd cab :) And yeah, I don't have a problem lifting a 29" crt, the problem is doing with enough finesse/smooth enough not to hurt yourself or fuck up the tube.

FE6F2DF9-4C05-41C0-8895-CB35CBE57391.jpeg

I've got friends who could help (and I'll certainly do that if there's really not a good alternative), but ideally it'd be nice if some afternoon I felt the impulse to play a vertical game I could do that on my own without having to schedule something with a friend.

I do have two cats whose schedules are pretty open (they nap most of the day). One of them is pretty chonky too. Maybe they could help?
Rotating a monitor in a cab is a pain in the ass even with two people, it’s not the weight so much as the awkward angle and precision you have to use to ensure safety. If you take it on you’ll realize it’s not something you want to do very often, definitely not for an afternoon of vert games

I personally lay it on its back (putting cushions and stuff to protect the back) then essentially lift off the bolt and then twist.

If doing it like in the picture, I would take the control panel out so you're not reaching over the CP. I did this once and due to the awkward position, my back didn't like it when I pulled it out :)

If you take it on you’ll realize it’s not something you want to do very often, definitely not for an afternoon of vert games
Big facts. I see people say this early in their hobby lives, "oh, I'll just rotate it when I want to play shumps that day", and then they get a little older and wiser and buy another cab that stays vertical.

I had a dedicated vertical cab for a while, but I stole it to link up for fighting games, and now I get by with a bare monitor on a ghetto rig. Better than rotating a cab!

now I get by with a bare monitor on a ghetto rig. Better than rotating a cab!
This is a good alternative to rotating monitor in a cab or getting a second cabinet for vertical games. High end PVMs and other pro-grade monitors that do 480P might be as expensive as a dedicated vertical cab but you can pick up a Blast monitor to fit in a wooden box for vertical 480P games. Or get a PC monitor for free on Craigslist.

hoist.jpg

Ahem... I've only ever rotated one monitor in my life, and it was in a Crown cab. A friend and I did it while the cab was backed up against the wall. It worked out reasonably well.

Seems like a simple enough weekend project if you have any experience working with wood and have the tools.
I've built full cabs, this is just some "Chevy up on blocks" temp rig to run some vertical stuff with a spare monitor. I'm hoping to find a nice Aero City to occupy that space as the vertical cab, but I may be babysitting a friend's Windy there first, see how it goes. I'll rotate that to vertical if it lives here for a bit, and I'll do it with my friend. Especially on a Windy, no frame for the monitor, that's a neck breaking waiting to happen.

Back