What's new

XtraSmiley

Legendary
Reaction score
I just moved so I cannot get to my PCBs yet, but I saw this while on the MiSTer forums. Someone has discovered that the arcade sounds are incorrect in a few places.

Can someone confirm on a real PCB and which ROM version. Lets see if this is a MiSTer/MAME error or a real programing bug.

If a real bug, I'm SURE someone here will figure out how to fix it and put out an update, like that cool modern update to Outrun!

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3197

like that cool modern update to Outrun!
But, but... ;( OutRun is PERFECT as it is.
The palm trees scaling bug is unoticeable in game unless driving at 5km/h.
The fixed 1 bit on the sound ROM causing the drums to be "too" present has contributed to the success of the game IMO. The corrected version loses flavour.

@XtraSmiley yeah the attract in freeplay is nice, so as the music playing at the selection screen. But unfortunately it seems you can't get those upgrades without the sound "fix".
(Well I could redo the mods myself...)

But unfortunately it seems you can't get those upgrades without the sound "fix".

It's complete optional.

"opr-10188.71
Fixed audio samples.
Optional, but highly recommended, especially if using the new audio tracks which sound bad with the original, corrupted, EPROM."

Maybe Jotego should use some of his Patreon money, buy the PCB and do some tests himself. Just sayin’

IMO Jotego needs to slow it down and focus on getting things right and engage some serious testers who know their stuff. Releasing a batch of cores every Friday for his cult doesn’t really instill confidence in the “100% accuracy” ethos that MiSTer prides itself on.

Love his work, just sayin…
I've been looking into getting a mister setup after setting up an nvidia shield with retorarch thanks to the help from members here.

I dont know Jotego, dont know the mister community really, but he/she seems to be like the only one actively working on arcade cores, everyone else seems focused on consoles and or systems, etc...

Maybe Jotego should use some of his Patreon money, buy the PCB and do some tests himself. Just sayin’
Didnt know he had a Patreon, I guess this is the reason you say he should focus more on testing cores and not rush to release them every Friday.

This isn't a Jotego bashing thread. Tons of people on A-P own a S16 multi or an AB PCB. It would be a 5 min test.

Honestly, I didn't think we'd have this much discussion on it! MAME has the bug too, it would be nice to know if it's actually a programming bug related to the Sega release or an emulation bug.

This isn't a Jotego bashing thread. Tons of people on A-P own a S16 multi or an AB PCB. It would be a 5 min test.

Honestly, I didn't think we'd have this much discussion on it! MAME has the bug too, it would be nice to know if it's actually a programming bug related to the Sega release or an emulation bug.
The prior multis I had I sent off to friends here. But luckily, I just got another multi in and will give it a go when I get it all set up and I ll post up about it, unless someone tests it before me. :)

Which version is in MiSTER ?

Code:
altbeastbl2       Altered Beast (bootleg)                                  (bootleg, 1988)
mt_beast          Altered Beast (Mega-Tech)                                (Sega, 1988)
altbeast          Altered Beast (set 8) (8751 317-0078)                    (Sega, 1988)
altbeastbl        Altered Beast (Datsu bootleg)                            (bootleg (Datsu), 1988)
altbeast2         Altered Beast (set 2) (MC-8123B 317-0066)                (Sega, 1988)
altbeast4         Altered Beast (set 4) (MC-8123B 317-0066)                (Sega, 1988)
altbeast5         Altered Beast (set 5) (FD1094 317-0069)                  (Sega, 1988)
altbeast6         Altered Beast (set 6) (8751 317-0076)                    (Sega, 1988)
altbeastj         Juuouki (set 7, Japan) (8751 317-0077)                   (Sega, 1988)
altbeastj1        Juuouki (set 1, Japan) (FD1094 317-0065)                 (Sega, 1988)
altbeastj3        Juuouki (set 3, Japan) (FD1094 317-0068)                 (Sega, 1988)
altbeast5d        Altered Beast (set 5) (bootleg of FD1094 317-0069 set)   (bootleg, 1988)
altbeastj3d       Juuouki (set 3, Japan) (bootleg of FD1094 317-0068 set)  (bootleg, 1988)

And which version is in the S16 Multi ?

Last edited:
Awesome @jepjepjep, so now we know the real PCB (at least one ROM revision) suffers from the same error.

So cool, time to get this fixed in the REAL hardware and put out an A-P revision of Altered Beast!!!!!!

Of course, it's easier for me to say as I'm not doing... but I know some of you mad geniuses are up to the challenge!

OK, big brains of A-P, what say you? Something to dig into? Fix this up so it works as well as the Genesis version?!?! (The Mega Drive for those weirdos).

Who wants to be like M2 and create a new version of a S16 game?!?!?

First step is someone needs to see if there is a rom version that is patched already

OK, big brains of A-P, what say you? Something to dig into? Fix this up so it works as well as the Genesis version?!?! (The Mega Drive for those weirdos).

Who wants to be like M2 and create a new version of a S16 game?!?!?
Ah ah, I guess many here are busy with real life.

As for the Genesis name, again, It's a Japanese console launched by a Japanese company with the original name of Megadrive, and it's called like that everywhere but in North America (US & Canada) and a few Central/South American countries. :)

Reactions: nem
Ah ah, I guess many here are busy with real life.

As for the Genesis name, again, It's a Japanese console launched by a Japanese company with the original name of Megadrive, and it's called like that everywhere but in North America (US & Canada) and a few Central/South American countries. :)
Yes yes, we're all busy! :P You don't even LOOK at this, keep your eyes on those multis!

As for Genesis, well, more Genesis' were sold than all the Mega Drives in the world combined!

It's a Genesis! :P

Back