What's new

plan9

Beginner
Reaction score
I saw the other thread about needing the Toshiba Enhanced Remote to access those settings but it doesn't appear to be compatible with the one installed in my Blast City.
Is there a pot on the board that can do the adjustments? I took several pictures of the side with all the pots and nothing stood out to me based on the silkscreen labels. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Other than this issue, the monitor looks great. It's very bright and the colors really pop.
toshiba monitor adjustments.jpg
toshiba geometry.jpg

toshiba model.jpg

I just tried it and turned it all the way to both ends and there was no discernible difference in the picture. Perhaps i need to spray it with some deoxit?
Well, you could try making some adjustments via the SPC pot next to PARA.

Well, you could try making some adjustments via the SPC pot next to PARA.
Same results. I even tried adjusting the SPC15 in conjunction.
Thank you for your help so far.
[edit] Don't want to insinuate that this is sarcasm. I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
If the pots aren't working, there's a transistor likely blown on your chassis.

If the pots aren't working, there's a transistor likely blown on your chassis.
Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I'm just now noticing a black goop issue as well. :(
Do you know if there is a service manual for the 2930? I see there is one for 2931 out there. I should probably take it to a professional as I think this is outside my skill set.

Black goop isn't a problem. It's non-conductive potting compound that originates from one of the coils. Most chassis will have it. I have it in all of mine. If it's spread on a really wide area it can make hard to remove the chassis from the tray or components off the board, but otherwise it's harmless.

I don't think there's a service manual available.

The transistor or transistors will be connected to the pots. There's likely going to be resistors in between. Check those and the transistors. You just need a multimeter. Easy enough and nothing to lose.

Black goop isn't a problem. It's non-conductive potting compound that originates from one of the coils. Most chassis will have it. I have it in all of mine. If it's spread on a really wide area it can make hard to remove the chassis from the tray or components off the board, but otherwise it's harmless.

I don't think there's a service manual available.

The transistor or transistors will be connected to the pots. There's likely going to be resistors in between. Check those and the transistors. You just need a multimeter. Easy enough and nothing to lose.
I done goofed. I got all the caps I needed and got started on the crt chassis and on the second one, I tore the pad out. I'm a beginner at this and was hoping for some advice. It kind of looks like the trace runs down to the right side of thing labeled 223 right below the negative lead. Even with a magnifying glass I couldn't tell for sure.
I was able to confirm continuity from the negative lead from C455 connects to C406. I've highlighted the relavent portions of the board. As you can see the positive pad for C455 is MIA.

Am I over simplifying the issue? Thank you in advance.
And as a side note, I was able to successfully recap the power supply and audio amp.

Attachments

• crt chassis underside (zoomed) 2.jpg
    crt chassis underside (zoomed) 2.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 43
It happens.

The negative leg is connected to the right side of the resistor.

Thank you for the feedback. One bodge wire later and it's alive! Not bad work for a n00b if I do say so myself. Still has the geometry issue after blindly replacing the nearest transistor to the pots. I don't think I have the expertise to find the issue so I'll probably replace them all (if possible) and see what happens.
Sorry for the blurry pic. I didn't check it before I put everything back together.

Attachments

• toshiba bodge wire.jpg
    toshiba bodge wire.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 40
  • toshiba after recap.jpg
    toshiba after recap.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back