What's new

mskhaos

Student
Reaction score
A friend of mine suddenly had their monitor fail. Attached is a picture of the screen. Im not sure the exact monitor chassis but it is a nanao brand. Monitor no longer has neck glow. Failure happened while the machine was on.

Attachments

• 20220311_163818.jpg
    20220311_163818.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 87
The Pop'n Musics that I've seen have all had Toei TC-L292 monitors.

As nem said all DJ MAIN Pop'n cabinets shipped with Toei monitors. It's possible that someone replaced it down the line with a Nanao (probably an MS9) at some point since the Toei tubes have a high failure rate. When you say it's a Toshiba monitor I'm assuming you mean that it's a Toshiba tube?

If the picture you've attached is presently what the machine is displaying, I'm doubting it's monitor failure. MS9s tend to have less neck glow than something like a K7000, and that tube wouldn't be showing an image like that if there wasn't any neck glow. The screen brightness is way too high on the chassis flyback. There are two adjustments on the flyback transformer itself - one for brightness and one for focus. You'll want to turn the one labeled "SCREEN" (brightness) down until the horizontal white lines disappear, and then adjust your colors and check your signal cable from there.

If you don't know what you are doing it is highly recommended that you seek some help from someone who knows this stuff locally. Monitors have lots of high voltage going on when they're powered up, and it's very very easy to make things worse by adjusting the wrong things.

i second darkchao. u have glowing guns if ur getting an image like that. flyback adjustment should fix your issue

As nem said all DJ MAIN Pop'n cabinets shipped with Toei monitors. It's possible that someone replaced it down the line with a Nanao (probably an MS9) at some point since the Toei tubes have a high failure rate. When you say it's a Toshiba monitor I'm assuming you mean that it's a Toshiba tube?

If the picture you've attached is presently what the machine is displaying, I'm doubting it's monitor failure. MS9s tend to have less neck glow than something like a K7000, and that tube wouldn't be showing an image like that if there wasn't any neck glow. The screen brightness is way too high on the chassis flyback. There are two adjustments on the flyback transformer itself - one for brightness and one for focus. You'll want to turn the one labeled "SCREEN" (brightness) down until the horizontal white lines disappear, and then adjust your colors and check your signal cable from there.

If you don't know what you are doing it is highly recommended that you seek some help from someone who knows this stuff locally. Monitors have lots of high voltage going on when they're powered up, and it's very very easy to make things worse by adjusting the wrong things.
My friend has a video of her testing the machine were the image went from perfectly playable to the image shown above leading me to believe there has been a sudden failure on the chassis. I doubt the flyback adjustment would do much at this point since it was displaying just fine prior to this.

It's not uncommon that the screen will look overdriven if there's a problem with video input. I wouldn't touch the flyback since it was showing a normal picture before this.

I would make sure the motherboard is actually outputting video before doing anything. The original Toei is a 15khz chassis, so with that you would need another arcade monitor or a Gonbes to test it.

If it's been replaced with a 31khz Nanao, you can just test it with any older LCD monitor that you can connect a VGA cable to.

Last edited:
Note that Pop’n forces 15khz in software unless someone hacks that out in bootscripts - so chances are the game is pushing 15khz

Reactions: nem
Interesting, I was under the same impression but flipping DIP4 on an untouched Pop’n 18 kit last week forced 15khz on a trisync.. I’ll have to mess around with that more.

Back