What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
A few months back I got a deal on a Midway Strike Force with non-working sound. More recently I had an opportunity to buy another one and THAT one ended up also having non-working sounds... same symptoms

A lot of times I've been able to revive these with simple stuff like replacing the pin header, crystal or a recap... no such luck with this one.

I get no sound at all, if I crank the volume up I'll get a nice amplifier hum so at least I know the amp part of the sound board works.

The caps on this board are all brand new high quality caps, and the solder points look fresh so it's obvious someone else tried to fix it with a recap. I did replace the crystal for good measure but that didn't help.

Fun fact about these midway sound boards you can swap in a board from another game that uses the same sound board and it will play that other game's sounds. So Smash TV uses the same sound board as Strike Force I can install that board and play Strike Force with Smash TV Music and sound FX.

This confirms
-No fault on the Mobo
-Voltages are good
-Ribon cable is good and plugged in the right way
-Volume pot is wired int he right way
-Power harness is good.

I was able to swap ROMs as well as the 3 other socketed chips onto the Smash TV sound board and they all work so that confirms:
- that ROMs are good
- YM2151 at U5 is good
- YM3102 at U1 is good
- MC68 at U8 is good

Searching around I've seen 3 other Strike Forces listed with Dead Sound There has to be a common fault on these sound boards.

Does anyone have any experience fixing one of these up? Searching around I just see the common "check your -5V" and "check your ribbon cable" advice.

how did i miss this thread?

does the board have a pal/gal on it?

Back