What's new

FrancoB

Champion
Reaction score
I bought a Type X multi system a few years back. I can remember testing it when I got it and it worked and I can remember seeing a games list on screen. I've had it packed away since then and I've just come to test it and I can't seem to get any life out of the thing.

Am I right in thinking that the DB15 'VGA' connector on the video card is for 15kHz and the DVI socket outputs 640x480? I've tried plugging the video cable of my tri-sync monitors (that I tested the system with before) but I don't seem to get any video from either port. My monitors use a 15pin DSUB cable so I've had that directly connected to the DB15 socket for 15kHz and to the DVI socket via a DVI>VGA adaptor.

Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong or is the thing toast? Should there be any post beeps or anything when I turn the unit on? The system/fans look to power up but other than that I don't seem to get any other signs of life.

Got a picture of the unit with the exact type ?

The original Type X does not output any DVI it requires a DVI->VGA adapter on the upper port.

I had an issue with mine where it did not want to start at all, turned out the CMOS battery was dead.

I've uploaded some pictures [here]. If you want higher res photos hover over the three frames 'Sizes' button in the bottom right hand corner and choose a different size.

Yeah I've been trying a DVI>VGA adaptor on the upper port.

Thanks for the CMOS battery idea. Just swapped in a new one though and no dice. I was hoping that would have been an easy fix. :)

Thanks man.

Thanks for the pictures!

If you power it on does the CPU fan start up ?

Do you have a bog standard VGA monitor around the house ?

Try booting it without the CF/HDD plugged in, see if you get an error message ?

As far as I recall, TTX does not output 15KHz.

If I'm not wrong, it either displays 480p or 720p, both at 31KHz.

Thanks for the pictures!

If you power it on does the CPU fan start up ?

Do you have a bog standard VGA monitor around the house ?

Try booting it without the CF/HDD plugged in, see if you get an error message ?
Yes, CPU fan comes on.

I've not got a VGA monitor but I have got a HD PC LCD that displays VGA, just tested it by connecting a Naomi to it. No video with the TTX still though.

I removed the CF>IDE and powered back on, still nothing, no error messages, beeps etc ?( I tried reseating the video card too.

You are right and wrong.

Some units will not output 15KHz.

However my unit will happily output 15KHz on the lower connector, it is labeled as REV. C

edit: The connectors are labeled with 31K and 15K on my unit

Last edited:
Yes, CPU fan comes on.
I've not got a VGA monitor but I have got a HD PC LCD that displays VGA, just tested it by connecting a Naomi to it. No video with the TTX still though.

I removed the CF>IDE and powered back on, still nothing, no error messages, beeps etc ?( I tried reseating the video card too.
Monitor is OK then.

I powered on my unit just now, there is no beep but the JVS LEDs should light up.

If you have another DVI->VGA adapter try that as well.

Thanks for checking for me, much appreciated.

The LED on the front of the JVS card lights up and there is a small red LED on the mobo near that slot that's lit up too so I guess that's a good sign that it's getting power at least.

I've got another DVI>VGA adaptor somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it. Too many boxes of cables syndrome.... I'll order another one to try. Do you think I should go for an actual DVI>VGA cable rather than an adaptor? Something like [this]?

The LED on the front of the JVS card lights up and there is a small red LED on the mobo near that slot that's lit up too so I guess that's a good sign that it's getting power at least.

I've got another DVI>VGA adaptor somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it. Too many boxes of cables syndrome.... I'll order another one to try. Do you think I should go for an actual DVI>VGA cable rather than an adaptor? Something like [this]?

A friend of mine told me that you should try to reseat the RAM maybe CPU as well.

I just use small DVI adapters like you have in your picture.

To determine if your CPU is running, maybe disconnect the cables to the JVS card to see if you still get any activity, the JVS has a microcontroller on it and it might be doing stuff by itself.

There should be 2 RED LEDs lighting up, the second one is on the corner of the RAM chips close to the PSU to the right of a connector.

Last edited:

You are right and wrong.
Some units will not output 15KHz.

However my unit will happily output 15KHz on the lower connector, it is labeled as REV. C

edit: The connectors are labeled with 31K and 15K on my unit
Oh, haha, I did not know that.

My unit only outputs 480p and 720p, there's a label indicating which dip switches should be set to either resolution. No mention of 15KHz anywhere, though.

Oh, haha, I did not know that.
My unit only outputs 480p and 720p, there's a label indicating which dip switches should be set to either resolution. No mention of 15KHz anywhere, though.
You have a regular Type X, not a X2? What Type X game even supports 720p?

I just checked mine and mine has a 15K sticker next to the VGA port.

Oh no, my fault, mine's a TTX2. I thought resolution-wise, they were all the same, though.

I have no idea which games support 720p natively. I do know there are patches available for many games to support higher resolution, many of them can be found at this very forum :)

Yeah, X2 is a different beast entirely. A lot of games support 720p.

The one i had for a while to play around on used a DVI-VGA adapter, and straight VGA did not work on the other (upper?) VGA connector if i recall correctly. Try to set for 640 with the dips and use the lower DVI output with an adapter yet?

Edit: The AO wiki states:

"VGA - ATI - 2 Connectors, HD15(VGA) and DVI. HD15 connector is 15kHz only. DVI connector also carries analog signals, so to connect to a 31kHz CRT - use a DVI-to-VGA adapter."

Thanks guys.

A friend of mine told me that you should try to reseat the RAM maybe CPU as well.

I just use small DVI adapters like you have in your picture.

To determine if your CPU is running, maybe disconnect the cables to the JVS card to see if you still get any activity, the JVS has a microcontroller on it and it might be doing stuff by itself.

There should be 2 RED LEDs lighting up, the second one is on the corner of the RAM chips close to the PSU to the right of a connector.
I've reseated the GPU, RAM and CPU (and applied new paste), I've also bought another DVI adaptor. Same result.

Hmm, I can't see that second LED anywhere, only the one near the JVS card....

I disconnected all of the JVS>Mobo wires, same result still.

I've noticed there is an 'read access' LED on the CF>IDE adaptor which doesn't light up so that's telling me there's no data transfer going on.

The one i had for a while to play around on used a DVI-VGA adapter, and straight VGA did not work on the other (upper?) VGA connector if i recall correctly. Try to set for 640 with the dips and use the lower DVI output with an adapter yet?

Edit: The AO wiki states:

"VGA - ATI - 2 Connectors, HD15(VGA) and DVI. HD15 connector is 15kHz only. DVI connector also carries analog signals, so to connect to a 31kHz CRT - use a DVI-to-VGA adapter."
I've tried 15kHz and 31kHz from both ports. Where are the DIPs you speak of? I had a look but can't seem to see any.

Have you tried booting without the RAM and GPU? The fans should start spinning and the small speaker on the motherboard should beep. Then you know that the motherboard is OK.

Back