What's new

tacobell

Grand Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried running NG (111) for the first time, JAPAN region. After entering 1 Credit, pressed start but got both players activated. The game started but there were minor glitches, specifically the combo text area and lines in the background. I power reset and chose JAPAN again with the same issue.

I power reset again then selected USA. Added in my credits and 1 player only showed up like normal. Everything was fine.

Power reset one more time back to JAPAN and now one player shows up.

I was able to replicate today using another cart @mathewbeall reburned. Same thing as above.

Not sure if this was a fluke, but made sure all ram was seated correctly, the daisy chain wires were on properly.

I tried with coins and freeplay nothing for me. I use NOCD version.

I couldn’t get mine to glitch like that. Also NoCD bios

NoCD UltraBIOS, can’t replicate this issue on two different setups.

Perhaps try erase and reprogram the SIMMS and if possible test on another motherboard?

I can confirm the 1 credit, start = start for both players for me also but in War-Zard. Fresh UltraSIMM install, new Repro cart with nocd UltraBIOS. Initially tried to repro in SF2NG but no go.

Repro’d when I Started up War-Zard JP, 1 coin, start. Loading War-Zard US didn’t repro, reloading War-Zard JP again fixed the issue.

I also have a video recording of the bug above if anyone is interested I can send it over.

Very strange. Will give this a further stress test tonight and see what I can come up with?

I’ve uploaded a video of the issue on youtube here:

My stick has a Brook Wireless Board inside running through the UD Decoder. This exact stick setup was 100% working prior to upgrading to the UltraSIMM & UltraBIOS.

In your settings, how do you configure the chute mode?

In your settings, how do you configure the chute mode?
I can check later but it’s the default settings. Also note, this issue fixes itself after loading the US region and reloading the JP version of the game. All default settings.

View: https://youtu.be/dKA1ILBLuBQ

Warning: long and boring test video.

Tried to replicate issue but got a new one.

Left it alone, unpowered and without jamma plugged in for 6 hours with the custom sh2 cart removed. Put the cart back in, then powered it up. Did not touch the ultrasimms. Loaded it up and graphic glitches on all games I selected. Removed lid and was fine. Lid did not touch the daisy chain nor plugs connected to the ultra simms. There is enough clearance with the highflow.nl cps3 case. Closed lid back up and still works. Will test in another 6 hours.

View: https://youtu.be/dKA1ILBLuBQ

Warning: long and boring test video.

Tried to replicate issue but got a new one.

Left it alone, unpowered and without jamma plugged in for 6 hours with the custom sh2 cart removed. Put the cart back in, then powered it up. Did not touch the ultrasimms. Loaded it up and graphic glitches on all games I selected. Removed lid and was fine. Lid did not touch the daisy chain nor plugs connected to the ultra simms. There is enough clearance with the highflow.nl cps3 case. Closed lid back up and still works. Will test in another 6 hours.
Honestly, I don’t have an UltraSIMM setup but I wonder if your PPU or one of your ram chips (sprite ram at 1D on the motherboard location) is failing. I had the same symptoms on a broken CPS3 motherboard I once had with background and some sprite layers appearing like they were being generated on an Atari 2600 like yours did. I found out later it was due to a failing sprite ram which I was able to successfully replace (carefully) with an equivalent NOS sprite ram & hot air station. Does the memory test in the test menu show the sprite, work and character rams as passing? I would check those first before thinking it’s the UltraSIMMS.

Also: is your PPU or sprite/character rams getting really hot to the touch? I also noticed that being a symptom on an earlier board I have; it’s possible some of the traces between the PPU, the PPU itself, or the rams themselves could be going bad...just a hunch...

Honestly, I don’t have an UltraSIMM setup but I wonder if your PPU or one of your ram chips (sprite ram at 1D on the motherboard location) is failing. I had the same symptoms on a broken CPS3 motherboard I once had with background and some sprite layers appearing like they were being generated on an Atari 2600 like yours did. I found out later it was due to a failing sprite ram which I was able to successfully replace (carefully) with an equivalent NOS sprite ram & hot air station. Does the memory test in the test menu show the sprite, work and character rams as passing? I would check those first before thinking it’s the UltraSIMMS.

Also: is your PPU or sprite/character rams getting really hot to the touch? I also noticed that being a symptom on an earlier board I have; it’s possible some of the traces between the PPU, the PPU itself, or the rams themselves could be going bad...just a hunch...
I’ve ran this before with my original simms with no issues. I never had any issues with the original SuperBIOS besides the region selection. My rams arent hot to the touch either. I also ran these separately with the original simms again and 3s worked perfectly. I’m just reporting what I see. Also, this ran cold, 6 hours unused, and the graphic issues came up.

I’ve ran this before with my original simms with no issues. I never had any issues with the original SuperBIOS besides the region selection. My rams arent hot to the touch either. I also ran these separately with the original simms again and 3s worked perfectly. I’m just reporting what I see. Also, this ran cold, 6 hours unused, and the graphic issues came up.
I would check the pins on the PPU; it’s possible you might have a pin or two that’s gotten loose. I’ve noticed with my CPS3 setups that they hate flex; I had another motherboard’s PPU crap out on me after running it for four years...it showed the same symptoms yours did before it failed. I even encountered game freezes and other random graphic glitches; after noticing corrosion from underneath the PPU chip (no idea how that happened!?), I had to junk that motherboard.

Before any of that though, I would still run the memory test to see if your rams are testing OK.

Indeed. What happens when you run a memory check in test mode? Mine passes until CDROM where it seems to hang. Or I’m impatient. But it checks some ram to make sure those are ok.

I’m checking the simms, only #2 passed on mine. I have 3rd strike loaded. Anyone else have that? Not sure if it should pass or what.

View: https://youtu.be/KyiCm25Mu6o

Indeed. What happens when you run a memory check in test mode? Mine passes until CDROM where it seems to hang. Or I’m impatient. But it checks some ram to make sure those are ok.

I’m checking the simms, only #2 passed on mine. I have 3rd strike loaded. Anyone else have that? Not sure if it should pass or what.
I would check the pins on the PPU; it’s possible you might have a pin or two that’s gotten loose. I’ve noticed with my CPS3 setups that they hate flex; I had another motherboard’s PPU crap out on me after running it for four years...it showed the same symptoms yours did before it failed. I even encountered game freezes and other random graphic glitches; after noticing corrosion from underneath the PPU chip (no idea how that happened!?), I had to junk that motherboard.

Before any of that though, I would still run the memory test to see if your rams are testing OK.

Memory test OK
CD ROM hangs when you unplug scsi2sd

Back