What's new

Gr0und_zer0

Student
Reaction score
9AE2BF63-5752-480C-A860-523E6F5BAC97_1_105_c.jpeg

After years of not using my supergun setup nearly enough (for some reason my wife hated all the components spread across the living room), I decided to commit to a cab build. I had long wanted a New Versus City as my love is competitive SSF2T, but decided CRTs in this day and age have too many downsides. Also given my collection of HAS, OSSC, IscanVP50 and associated wiring/adapters, it seems easier to build off that. I managed to pick up a Vewlix Diamond Orange from @Cereth and upon delivery today, have began its careful partial disassembly while I plot and prepare the setup.

The main goals of my complete build are as follows:
2 Player 8 Button panel + associated wiring. Probably fresh sticks and buttons all around. (I know thats overkill on buttons but I'd prefer to futureproof)
Wire and mount power, adapters, upscalers etc in place in a manner I can reasonably easily swap between my CPS2, CPS3, and NeoGeo MVS boards.
Test and determine the best options to minimize input and video latency so SF2 seems as close to a CRT candy cab as possible.

Presently my top challenge is determining how I am going to wire the controls to the DB15 ports on my HAS. I could use an @Arthrimus vewlix console i/o board (or hadouken arcade derivative) > USB > undamned db15 usb decoder but that seems like its overly complicated and asking for control latency. The 2 upsides are it would be the most immediate turnkey solution, and could make it so I could easily connect my PC if I ever felt like playing SF6 on the Vewlix. Other options are building more manual wiring looms, or if @Crown Arcade Shop completes their Vewlix JAMMA kit and wants to sell the interface board.

Beyond that, I think I just need to locate my OSSC remote and do a firmware update for good measure. I doubt that will give me any issues, and I look forward putting the stock monitor thru its paces.

Thanks to everyone on here that helped me a few years ago getting my original arcade boards up and running. I look forward to their next evolution.

-Matt

Do you have an I/O? If you're planning on using the cabinet for more than just Jamma, it might be useful to have a JVS IO. That way you could use JVS for JVS, a Jammafier for Jamma, and a JVS PAC for PC.

On the other hand, sticks and buttons are just wires, and Jamma (or the db15 connectors on your HAS) are just wires. No need to add a bunch of stuff in the middle. You could ignore the stock controls harness entirely, piggyback in-between the harness side and control panel side, or make an adapter for the 60 pin connector to two db15 connectors.

Do you have an I/O? If you're planning on using the cabinet for more than just Jamma, it might be useful to have a JVS IO. That way you could use JVS for JVS, a Jammafier for Jamma, and a JVS PAC for PC.

On the other hand, sticks and buttons are just wires, and Jamma (or the db15 connectors on your HAS) are just wires. No need to add a bunch of stuff in the middle. You could ignore the stock controls harness entirely, piggyback in-between the harness side and control panel side, or make an adapter for the 60 pin connector to two db15 connectors.
Appreciate your advice. My cab with fastio board. I was going to order new J and K cables from @Lemony Vengeance so maybe he can also build a connectorized splitter cable (I've seen they exist online) so I can connect one side to a custom wired DB15 adapter. It may be slightly overkill trying to keep things modular but I like the idea of not permanently hacking up anything.

Finally getting some progress now I'm back from Japan and have most of the parts assembled. Still waiting on my new 2L16B panel to arrive in a few days from @alberto1225 but the cab is getting close to ready. Separately, I still need to get my CPS2 multi installed in the new @JasenHicks PCB case and wire it up for key writing.

vewlix-project.jpg

Well I am rejoicing today, as I finally got the machine operational. Managed to flash my @undamned USB decoders so they'd work with the brook UFBs. Also diagnosed an audio issue (cable I failed to notice was disconnected at the amp board). More updates to come as I get things cleaned up, cable managed and some polish to the aesthetics, but I think the hardest parts are done.

vewlix_is_go.jpg

Looks really good!

I'm in the middle of doing something similar, and the big issue is just physical space for CPS2 in the cab itself with a jammafier as well. I'm tempted to see how you end up making it work or if you go the same route as me, and just have the board hang outside the cab

Looks really good!

I'm in the middle of doing something similar, and the big issue is just physical space for CPS2 in the cab itself with a jammafier as well. I'm tempted to see how you end up making it work or if you go the same route as me, and just have the board hang outside the cab
I've thought of ways to try and shoehorn my CPS2 (with @JasenHicks enclosure) into the cab, but unless I craft custom front and/or rear panels it's not going to fit and have the game select control panel accessible. Presently leaning towards really cleanly building out the interior with PSU, HAS & OSSC and then using a JAMMA extension harness to connect to boards outside of it. Likely a 1/4 or 1/2 height server rack + shelves would allow for clean storage of my boards and let them be placed right next to the cabinet for easy access + display.

Back