What's new

zoggynog

Beginner
Reaction score
What went right:

I have a Vewlix L AMI Cab, no game, everything else intact. When I purchased, the guy who sold it to me had his laptop connected to prove monitor/audio was functioning. To the best of my recollection all was well (this project has sat a few years now...).

I built a PC, added brooks boards/Arthrimus I/O board. Everything works. PC up, monitor up, controllers do things, all good.

Audio problem: When I plug the audio in from the Taito amp only the top and bottom left speakers function. There is also a loud ringing buzz if the amp is turned up from the pot more than say 70%. Other than that, audio is playing out through the PC. Adding to my initial complications, I have a JVS VS Kit board. Originally, I was connecting there for audio and then jumped over to the source.

Anyone have any tips? Do I have to remove the monitor to verify speaker connectivity? Any help getting sound out of all speakers and removing that horrible ringing would be GREATLY appreciated. I can post pictures of whatever might help answer questions.

Keep in mind, while I'm an IT guy Vewlix is new territory for me. This could be something really simple. No dumb answers, possibly a dumb question.

The first thing to do is plug in a source/player directly to the audio amp via a know working cable, etc.. and see how it goes in that solves the problem, if not then you need to verify that the amp and speakers are connected correctly. Post a few pics of how things are connected to the amp now. the are a couple of harnesses attached to the amp, take pics of those. Make sure the headphone jack on the audio didn't get ripped off or damaged.

The first thing to do is plug in a source/player directly to the audio amp via a know working cable, etc.. and see how it goes in that solves the problem, if not then you need to verify that the amp and speakers are connected correctly. Post a few pics of how things are connected to the amp now. the are a couple of harnesses attached to the amp, take pics of those. Make sure the headphone jack on the audio didn't get ripped off or damaged.
Ok Derick, will do. Meanwhile I found this post on another forum and it 1:1 sounds like my issue down to the buzzing and right side being completely out. If it IS a blown tweeter how does one source a replacement?

Do I have to pop the monitor to inspect speakers or will I be able to by removing speakers fronts with a hex key?

Do I have to pop the monitor to inspect speakers or will I be able to by removing speakers fronts with a hex key?
You'll need to first remove the monitor, then you can remove the speakers.
Once each speaker is free you'll then dissemble them.

See this thread I posted for pictures/details about replacement.

You'll need to first remove the monitor, then you can remove the speakers.
Once each speaker is free you'll then dissemble them.
Awesome. Ok, I verified its not an issue with the source or cable. Haven't taken pictures yet but I'm betting dollars to donuts on a blown right tweeter. I've also found your post on modifying the casing and dropping in a dayton. I'm on the fence about that vs shelling out the bucks to keep it original if I can buy stock from Taito....want to scare me with the cost? :)

^THAT^ The monitor needs to be removed to be able to get the speakers out. Its fairly simple, just take your time doing it.

I dont know if the AMI used the flat tweeter type speakers, but still could be a blown speaker. You can replace them with Dayton Audio speakers (which I recommend) with some slight modifications to the speaker box, @jassin000 did this mod to his speakers and it worked out great.

want to scare me with the cost? :)
Its got lots of hidden costs associated with it as well.
Like bank/wire transfer fees, currency conversion fees, EMS international shipping, minimum part order amounts...:S

Honestly I wouldn't worry about changing out the speakers too much.
Yes its not original to the L-AMI, but even Taito made the switch, the entire Diamond line is all rounded speakers.

Not to mention if you get future blow-outs, having done the mod you'll just be dropping in more (assuming we can still get these replacements into the future).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Derick & Jassin. With your help/suggestion I was able to remove the monitor, fidget with my speakers/connectors and get audio back up. One of the tweeters works, but is shot. buzzes at high sounds. Ultimately, I'll be taking your advice and taking all four to Daytons. I have to imagine they will be a sound upgrade.

Last edited:
Back