What's new

ShllShockArcade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anybody else have this issue? And is there a fix?

Hard to see in video due to compression but in person it’s annoying as all hell. Can’t tell if it’s the adapter or the board. I have two games running on it. SMB and Castlevania and both show the lines so I think it’s the board and not the games/ ROMS+CPU or PPU. Currently feeding through the PCBJunkie vs. Unisystem to Jamma adapter. Could be this but hard to tell because you can’t simply feed RGB straight off of a Unisystem board due to the video being in inverted without it.

Have attempted Screen on the flyback, brightness and contrast on the remote with same results.

Ps god the compression is annoying as hell and it is so hard to see on the video. Can see it the most when Mario jumps up to get the mushroom.

Thanks guys for any feedback 🤙🏼

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/zpvAhxZpmss?si=a3zAmxKQuXLv8SfE

And here’s Castlevania which is probably a better example. Weird thing is it doesn’t look like it is always present. You can’t see it at all on the title screen 🤔

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/7lzPOrEN4aw?si=A9YBXqOTiznhv7qB

God the compression is terrible 🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_4108.jpeg
    IMG_4108.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Is video ground connected?

Yeah, power supply FG is tied to ground and all of my other PCB’s are flawless … ground issues will give more of a slanted scrolling striping with some grain. This is something else 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
That's commonly referred to as jailbars. It seems like it's always most prominent in blue. You might be able to find something if you search for that. It's generally caused by poor power delivery to some part of the video circuit, I think. It's definitely a common issue with the NES (especially top loaders), though I'm not sure about the VS System specifically.

That's commonly referred to as jailbars. It seems like it's always most prominent in blue. You might be able to find something if you search for that. It's generally caused by poor power delivery to some part of the video circuit, I think. It's definitely a common issue with the NES (especially top loaders), though I'm not sure about the VS System specifically.

I agree now that you say that, it seems most noticeable on blue backgrounds 🤔

I agree now that you say that, it seems most noticeable on blue backgrounds 🤔

Well guys issue resolved -

After some research and comments from the community it appears that the vertical “jail bars” is just a Nintendo thing. It is the way it is and always has been.

I just watched an episode of John’s Arcade where he does a play through of Nintendo VS Castlevania on his official Dual System Red Tent … and sure enough he has the exact same jail bars that I have. After seeing this on an official Nintendo licensed arcade cabinet I can finally put this to rest and just some it up to nostalgic imperfections of the 1980’s 😊

Thanks guys for your help 🤙🏼

Attachments

• IMG_4118.png
    IMG_4118.png
    634.9 KB · Views: 40
Back