What's new

PaulWoodpross3r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Just a week ago I picked up a Wave Runner Model 2C PCB, manufactured on Christmas Eve 1998 (thank you Santa! :P), and I plugged my homemade Model 3 racing wheel (hacked Dreamcast HKT-7400) into the Model 2 successfully with the appropriate power!

The game runs fine in a Model 3 cabinet/setup. However, when I enter a course, my jet ski is accelerating by itself unless I squeeze the lever! For anyone wondering, the throttle in waverunner corresponds with the Model 3 brake pedal (pin 9 on CN12). You can also roll the jet ski with the gas pedal (or Harley-Davidson throttle grip)

Before my board arrived, I had contacted Ken Westerfield about the wiring schematics of the game, and he had informed me about this, so I had anticipated the game would play this way when going Model 2 in Model 3 setup.
I've been told using a simple switch to swap the 5v and ground of the throttle may fix this.

Anybody know of a good set of tools I could use to easily swap the potentiometer wires? I tried using a set of these lever nuts (shown in the link below) on my wheel, but they haven't worked for me at all, and damaged my wires pretty bad:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082TLQM8M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

So my goal is to be able to universally play this and my Model 3 drivers by simply swapping the wires, maybe with terminals or a set of wire nuts. If you know such good tools, let me know what you're using.

Thanks and any advice is greatly appreciated here! ;)

I would just do two connectors, one for normal and one for reverse pinout. Then just swap connectors.

Alternatively, choose a connector that you can plug in both ways and just flip the connector to swap.

I would just do two connectors, one for normal and one for reverse pinout. Then just swap connectors.

Alternatively, choose a connector that you can plug in both ways and just flip the connector to swap.
I really think fashioning up Molex connectors and crimping the wires via that would be the easiest. I've got a set of pin extraction tools (can dig up the exact one if one's interested) that work exceptionally well with molex pins.
In the meantime I'm just using a junk harness from a Harley-Davidson machine that I've cut and converted to use exclusively with Wave Runner. You twist the blue and red wires (gas and steering respectively) to tie handle and roll together, and then just swap the 5v & gnd from the front brake connector. Currently I'm playing this game with a Harley LA Riders control panel; awesome and all the fun of the game without the GIANT projector cabinet and hydraulics 8)

A little update. I found the best solution to easily swap between Wave Runner or regular Sega bike games. I've soldered two Dupont cables with a heatgun and self-solder connections on my wiring harness (added more wires so they can easily move around with the stack on the floor), where I can swap 5v and ground without much trouble. Throttle will go to normal in WR. You definitely want to be careful when using these cables for other components on the board though, as I killed a small PCB from a Sega Rally upright by just accidentally connecting ground in the wrong spot. For Sega Model 2A/B/C the start button is pin 5, whereas on M3 it is pin 7. Otherwise, I think I'll end up keeping this PCB in my perma collection as I'd like to have a HotD setup one day.

On the NAOMI, monkey ball and zombie revenge are inverted, and swapping +5/gnd to the pots fixes it. I wired in a DPDT switch on my analog splitter loom to flip between. It's a pretty common circuit:

29d728931bc82f9a414493e2e7c9c07dbea32986.jpeg

Back