What's new

atrainn

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm sure this is an incredibly stupid question but I figure why not ask. I have a C3129D that I put in one of my Blasts maybe 10 years ago, it's been running fine all that time but recently decided to start blowing HOTs. I pulled it out to replace the HOT and do a cap kit, but unfortunately it still blows the HOT after around 30 seconds and results in the dreaded click of death. I've decided to now go with the shotgun approach and am replacing the majority of the HV section (and some other bits).

The issue I'm running into is with the new flyback I bought. While it is the exact same model (HI3129E), with dual focus; it's physically a slightly different design. There's a plastic tube on the side of the flyback that looks like it has been relocated from the top of the flyback on the old one, this is preventing it from fitting since it hits the metal shielding on the chassis.

I've been collecting for a while and have never actually known what the function of this little tube on the flyback is, but every flyback seems to have it. It's hollow, so I'm wondering if I can just trim the plastic a little bit to get it to fit? If that's a bad idea then it looks like the single focus flyback will also fit this chassis so I can go that route instead, or dremel a notch in the metal.

Edit: Sorry, accidentally put this in general help rather than the monitors forum. I'll see if I can get it moved.

Attachments

• PXL_20240201_193932859.jpg
    PXL_20240201_193932859.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240201_194302727.jpg
    PXL_20240201_194302727.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
It's hollow, so I'm wondering if I can just trim the plastic a little bit to get it to fit?

It's there for support. It's meant to be fixed to the heatsink with a screw.

You can trim it, it's just plastic.

Thanks! I figured it was a silly question but I wanted to make sure before chopping that sucker off.

Reactions: nem
@nem is right. On a similar note, I have seen posts like this for other flybacks for chassis' that incorporate aluminum cages surrounding the flyback on the board. What I have found is that when those flybacks are screwed to those cages, that can cause stress to the junction of the flyback to the pcb itself and can lead to cracking along the solder pads/traces for the flyback on the pcb itself. Further, those cages make for good targets for an arcing flyback that would cause all sorts of issues to the HV circuit if that were to happen. I just leave the cages off if I can help it.

Back