What's new

guu

Beginner
Reaction score
I have a large number of drivers that we purchased in a warehouse buyout. Every one of them have the rubberized wheels that have just melted and turned to a sticky mess. What are some of y'all doing to recover or restore these? At $60 each for some new ones, it's a hard pill to swallow if there is a cheaper/more efficient route? Thanks in advance.

There is no miracle cure.
Some of them are just a "condom" over a plastic one. its a pain to remove but it can be done.

if you have a bunch of them, just buy a bunch of new ones and move on.

What causes this to happen? I used to think it was leaving the games in the sun and/or heat? But I've seen some that are like that after being stored inside of warehouses. Is it just a factor of time and/or luck? I've seen some 20-30 year old wheels that were played hard and stored improperly and still seem fine?

There is no miracle cure.
Some of them are just a "condom" over a plastic one. its a pain to remove but it can be done.

if you have a bunch of them, just buy a bunch of new ones and move on.
Yeah...I figured we'd have to bite the bullet and buy new ones, but if I was able to save the overhead I was going to. I've cut the rubber off, but I end up gouging the inner frame a lot doing that. I've tried using bedliners, but they don't stick to the rubber well unfortunately.

What causes this to happen? I used to think it was leaving the games in the sun and/or heat? But I've seen some that are like that after being stored inside of warehouses. Is it just a factor of time and/or luck? I've seen some 20-30 year old wheels that were played hard and stored improperly and still seem fine?
I wish I knew. I've got some that are the hard plastic that are great, but it's the rubberized ones that aren't holding up for me.

I remember being at an arcade auction and someone was mentioning that Windex or any of the ammonia based cleaners would make the wheels get sticky. Never really followed up on it but the guy seemed adamant that it was the cause of the sticky wheels.

Depends on the wheel. Some are hard plastic aka indestructible and are fine.
Others are more "soft plastic / simili leather" and they are the ones with the issue. and I've seen them in warehouses as well: you pick 'em up and go "ieeewww!" and leave them there...

it's just the material used breaks down over time.

I have a computer mouse that I love that has some rubber grippies on the sides made of the same material. it starts off as a really rugged rubber then after a few years it's just broken down and becomes this sticky goop that comes off whenever you touch it. Never used any chemicals on it, it's just what happens. I have one on my home computer and one on my work computer and every few years I'm buying replacements... for a $30 mouse that's no big deal but I can see that being a problem with an arcade steering wheel.

the short answer is that these machines weren't mean to last this long so as long as the material had a nice finish through it's useful life, that was good enough.

your best option is to try to find a suitable replacement wheel that doesn't use the same material.

Reactions: guu
I have heard oil and gunk from hands over time cause the breakdown slowly.

I see this issue a lot on console thumbsticks.

It's definitely weird. The slimiest steering wheels I have have come from cabs that have been in storage. However, the ones that have been in use the whole time are OK?

Happ steering wheels definitely get to a worse state than Sega ones.

I once tried putting talcum powder on some of the slimy ones. Yes, baby powder. I guess it kind of works. They just don't look too hot afterwards.

Yeah, I don't buy the "oil and gunk from hands" argument. In my experience they definitely degrade faster from non-use.

there was one item I had with this material on it, I bought 2 of them one sat in storage unused while the other got daily use the one in storage practically melted while the one that got daily use lasted years longer.

This reminds me of some threads I had read on some Porsche forums, the models from 2005-2015ish have issues with the knobs on the dash/radio becoming sticky over time. Many people clean them with isopropyl alcohol but the stickiness returns shortly. Ive seen people paint them with plasti-dip or a matte clear coat, or just buy replacements....

Let us know what solution you come up with!

So I was just messing around with a wheel I had in storage. It's a global vr one. It had a few spots that seemed slightly sticky but not all that bad. I tried cleaning it just now with some simple green and that made it get MUCH stickier. I stopped but it's already pretty bad :|

Super frustrated because I was going to use this wheel. I thought it was better than my other one... but I just ruined it with simple green? I really did not expect that... I figured it's just soap? Lesson learned.

Back