What's new
36” JVC D series and 32” tate wega
CB45DB4F-2638-490E-B9F2-AE73219DF955.jpeg
I had that same JVC in that same size. I ended up getting rid of it and got a 27in JVC iART. Lifting that thing was brutal.

I had that same JVC in that same size. I ended up getting rid of it and got a 27in JVC iART. Lifting that thing was brutal.
I have been a Sony wega flat CRT guy for years and years until @SNK-NEO-GEO recommended the D Series…I like the bubble screen right now…more “arcadey”….definitely not as sharp as the wega but beautiful picture nonetheless.

@Wraith Very nice setup!

@santa978 I've heard good things about the Trinitrons as well so I've been keeping an eye for any of those too.

No such luck yet with a PVM or consumer TV in my area but hopefully something will come up soon!

Thanks for sharing everyone. I love seeing other peoples setups too. Always cool because no 2 setups are the same.

I have used many CRT TVs for years but the one I kept with me until now is Sony Trinitron 29" with two SCART inputs. It has beautiful picture and scanlines.
The other one I am using now for my MISTER setup is SUPRA Japan ST34AA61S, it's pretty big with curved screen and looks absolutely fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_014519.jpg
    IMG_20210429_014519.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20210503_003626.jpg
    IMG_20210503_003626.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20210511_021901.jpg
    IMG_20210511_021901.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 238
@Paranoid_Andy you ask for 29" and up, but theirs more options if you don't mind a smaller size. I got this Peloc 14" for $100 each and work great for S-video.
you can try a Production plasma monitor, I have a bunch of them, they work great on my neo geo CD, neo geo AES, PlayStation 2, Dreamcast and sega saturn.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/d/tampa-42-panasonic-security-plasma/7337642073.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/d/42-plasma-of-them-make-offer/7328146502.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ele/d/whittier-panasonic-th-50pf10uk-plasma/7331461160.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/d/los-angeles-42-plasma-television/7333712545.html

Attachments

• 20210621_122157.jpg
    20210621_122157.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Before I swam across the sea I was using a PVM-14M4U, an 800-line model. Absolutely loved it. I always sit somewhat close, so the small size didn't bother me and it was easy to move. I owned a BVM-20F1U in the past, and I preferred the PVM. It had more inputs plus a built-in speaker for those times I didn't feel like firing up the old Fisher stereo on the bottom shelf. Would love to get a hold of a 14M4J for over here one day.

Edit: Just noticed you are looking for a bigger one. Your poor back :p

Attachments

• IMG_5546.JPG
    IMG_5546.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Almost any CRT with true RGB inputs is good enough for me.
Let's not be snobs, most people grew up playing in RF or composite at best. :)
That is true, I played my NES on a 12 inch black and white because my mom wouldn't buy me a color TV <X

Before I swam across the sea I was using a PVM-14M4U, an 800-line model. Absolutely loved it. I always sit somewhat close, so the small size didn't bother me and it was easy to move. I owned a BVM-20F1U in the past, and I preferred the PVM. It had more inputs plus a built-in speaker for those times I didn't feel like firing up the old Fisher stereo on the bottom shelf. Would love to get a hold of a 14M4J for over here one day.

Edit: Just noticed you are looking for a bigger one. Your poor back :p
Sometimes good things come in small packages

Attachments

• 20200920_160449.jpg
    20200920_160449.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 72
Pioneer plasma monitor

Attachments

• 20201002_175329.jpg
    20201002_175329.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 118
Sometimes good things come in small packages
I think I had that same one too! I bought it for a school project, then my wife used it for playing Momotaro Dentetsu for a while, then I sold it to another guy who needed it for a school project. Wouldn't mind getting another one of those too, but I think I've pushed my luck about as far it can go in terms of storage.

Attachments

• momotaro.jpg
    momotaro.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 151
When my eyes were young and sharp and my back was strong like an Ox, my favorite monitors were the BVM D32, Sony FW900, NEC XM29 plus etcccc... Today, just looking at anything over 20" and my back says, No F'ing way..

If I had to pick a consumer TV, my number one pick goes to the 20" JVC D.. That TV is amazing, colors, curve, geometry and my back.. I don't like consumer trinitron due to how heavy they are, geometry and Flat but they are harp. I just don't like flat TVs for old consoles.

Favorites -
For PC/Consoles modern 1080p, 480p - I Prefer PC Trinitron CRTs flat (over shadow mask or anything else) monitors but on the smaller size, 16" viewable and 17" advertised.
Gaming 15khz - anything PVM 14" 800 lines for NES, 600 lines for everything else. NES looks super on 800 lines 14".
Arcade - 13" arcade monitor, it feels so great to play arcade games (MiSter) on those mini cabs without my eyes hurting.

I can't for the life of me understand how people drool at PVMs having hundred of lines.
Any random PC VGA monitor can easily match or have more lines. Many support CGA out of the box...
*Grabs random monitor from the garage* Here, 1000 plus lines with geometry knobs for everything you'd like.
Do I get a prize?
This sort of thread is what drives prices to ridiculous levels on some "rare" models with very little benefit if you gamed on a console with RF cables.
I love just crunching the RF/RGB switch on my SCART splitter... Because people's minds are blown by the difference between what they're used to growing up and the clarity of RGB.
Euro guys, any random, decently sized consumer CRT will do fine as you have this amazing thing called SCART that supports RGB. Use it.
US guys, the same but with component inputs. It's practically the same, don't sweat it.
It's fine. Play the games. Enjoy them.
Life can fuck you up real good at any moment.

*rant over*

Euro guys, any random, decently sized consumer CRT will do fine as you have this amazing thing called SCART that supports RGB. Use it.
US guys, the same but with component inputs. It's practically the same, don't sweat it.
I would agree. PVMs are a little excessive if you have a good quality consumer CRT that can take RGB SCART or component, (S-Video on consumer CRTs looks fantastic and should not be discounted). PVMs are good at displaying those thick/dark scanlines but that Is not something driven by nostalgia since consumer CRTs don’t have that.

The differences between composite/S-video/RGB/component are much more pronounced on modern TVs but much less so on consumer versus pro CRTs.

Last edited:
+1 for the JVC D-series consumer tvs. They were pretty cheap before the retro tax madness plaguing the local Craigslist. I really like my current 27" model. For it's size, it's relatively light compared to similarly sized tvs. I've done zero adjustments and it looks great with component video. Even s-video and composite look good. I even gave away another very nice 27" d-series to a friend. However, like any crt tv, your mileage may vary. I have another less than stellar 27" d-series sitting in the corner, plus an inoperable curb picked 20" I hope to salvage.

Last edited:
Back