What's new

aerobert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1634232133437.png

As pictured, the intro shows the guy in the door of the drop ship and the text says "mission are you ready? Destroy all of them. Goodluck!!"

There was a good site that describes the differences between the romsets based on this informaiton but I cant find it.

I also have the version with the different intro than the japanese one, so wondering the same :)

I found the following:

-version 1.0/prototype plays music in a different order than the OST (perhaps some music is even missing); ex. the stage 6 theme plays in stage 2
-version 1.1 has the correct order, the game-start message is different, and the other changes mentioned above
-version 1.2 appears identical to 1.1 but harder, this could even be some crazy hack but the MAME team sure seems to think it isn't so I'm just calling it 1.2 anyway

Last edited:
the version you need to sell to me...
lol for any particular reason? I see plenty Outzone for sale. :)

I also have the version with the different intro than the japanese one, so wondering the same :)

I found the following:

-version 1.0/prototype plays music in a different order than the OST (perhaps some music is even missing); ex. the stage 6 theme plays in stage 2
-version 1.1 has the correct order, the game-start message is different, and the other changes mentioned above
-version 1.2 appears identical to 1.1 but harder, this could even be some crazy hack but the MAME team sure seems to think it isn't so I'm just calling it 1.2 anyway
From what I understand the "hard" version starts with second loop settings.

lol for any particular reason? I see plenty Outzone for sale. :)

From what I understand the "hard" version starts with second loop settings.
Yes you can easily see that depending on if the first enemies shoot at you or not at stage 1 apparently

Yeah the first cyborg fires in an instant. However I don't know if that's on standard difficulty setting (the pcb is packed away at this time).

I'm really trying to find this webpage I'm talking about. It went into detail exactly about the differences and how you could identify it without dumping the roms. I stumbled upon it through links but never found it via search engine.

Yeah the first cyborg fires in an instant. However I don't know if that's on standard difficulty setting (the pcb is packed away at this time).

I'm really trying to find this webpage I'm talking about. It went into detail exactly about the differences and how you could identify it without dumping the roms. I stumbled upon it through links but never found it via search engine.
Then you most likely have the harder version if shmups forum is correct

If I remember correctly from the page mentioned above, dip setting easy is the same as normal on the "regular" rom.

If I remember correctly from the page mentioned above, dip setting easy is the same as normal on the "regular" rom.
I think another Swedish person had the harder version, and difficulty settings did nothing so he had to swap the rom for the easier version. Got help from another Swedish person to do that.

The factory conversions can be seen easily by if you have a daughter board or not on the pcb I learned.

And you cannot swap rom for the easier version on those to my understanding.

Well, this adds to the confusion. According to that page Set 1 (OutZone (Harder set / Set 1) - outzoneh.zip / 91 kb) is the more difficult one.
But at the same time this should be indicated by the hero missing from the intro. My PCB is like the one on the right. I guess I have to check my dipswitch settings to start with.

1634300534711.png

Further contact with Guts reveals that there was a lengthy discussion about the versions in the french shmup forum here: http://forum.shmup.com/viewtopic.php?p=562195

One of the posts suggest that set 1 (outzoneh.zip) isn't simply like the second loop of Set2.

TRANSLATED
"But the Set 1, ouh lala ...... you want a challenge? Play on this one, it's simply HARD mode.
From the start the enemies shoot you directly but be careful, not like in the 2nd Loop of Set 2 and the others, no no no, a little faster and they are also a little more resistant. And then the red bonus enemies are less frequent as well.

Further contact with Guts reveals that there was a lengthy discussion about the versions in the french shmup forum here: http://forum.shmup.com/viewtopic.php?p=562195

One of the posts suggest that set 1 (outzoneh.zip) isn't simply like the second loop of Set2.

TRANSLATED
"But the Set 1, ouh lala ...... you want a challenge? Play on this one, it's simply HARD mode.
From the start the enemies shoot you directly but be careful, not like in the 2nd Loop of Set 2 and the others, no no no, a little faster and they are also a little more resistant. And then the red bonus enemies are less frequent as well.
Yeah that's what I heard, and that dip switch settings in terms of difficulty does nothing. Hence people wanting to rom swap to the easier version if they get the harder one

And to add to this misery it seems there are differences between the region versions (which is controlled by jumpers) as well. The french forum mentions the default extend settings are different. Then who knows what else has been changed between regions.

So in that case we have rom+region differences, that’s a lot of combinations.

Back