What's new

triple_lei

Student
Reaction score
Yesterday I received some immaculately packed arcade PCBs from Hong Kong, one of them being Final Fight. Great seller, no complaints. So I when I hooked it all up, I noticed that there was no sound for the opening sequence no matter what I set the dip switch to. And the "winners don't use drugs" screen was messed up. I haven't had time to play through the whole game yet so I can't say if there are any other graphics errors.

Hopefully it's nothing serious, or an easy fix? Doesn't seem like a faulty A board problem, but what the heck do I know.

Attachments

• image001r.jpg
    image001r.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 110
Was it an original Final Fight board or a conversion?

Do you have another "A" board you can test the B/C stack with?

Could try dumping the ROMS and making sure they're ok.

If its only messed up in a few spots/sections yea try to verify the ROMs CRC.
If you always noticed graphical glitches on specific sections, like the background layer for example... It's more likely a bad custom A or C.

Good to know, but at least I got an A board out of it. I knew at least that much going in from the listing:

Arcade Original CPS Circuit Board

The board 89626A-4 PCB and oscillator 12mhz
Game EP-rom is a Reproduction

Why does it have to be a mod at all? Couldn't they just use the US version and call it a day?

And it still doesn't explain why the dip switch for demo sound didn't let me hear the intro. Otherwise, I'd be totally happy. I'll try another A board, though...

So after a bunch of swapping, I was able to get my Final Fight to boot into test mode with the original A/B/C setup it came with. Turns out the dip switches are finicky. Like, they're too sensitive... or not sensitive enough. Like pushing the switches further in the direction they're already in will change some values. It's making the difficulty adjustment impossible. Anyone got a fix for that?

I would first try electrical contact cleaner/rubbing alcohol. Spray a little and push the switches to the on and off position a few times. Might just be dirty/oxidized.

Back