What's new

numbski

Student
Reaction score
I want to be clear about my meaning.

I obviously know that there is a sound test for each game. Totally get that.

What I am asking is the ability to put my multi into a "jukebox mode". We already know how to skip the grunts and sound effects, right? So - pull that into a player, and have the thing play the music back from the games and well? Authentic music. :)

I know, I know. I could get this all into an MP3 player or whatever - but this just seems like something we might all want. Tell it to play the music from all of the VS games stage music, for example.

Surely, somewhere around here, someone might know how to do this? We could cobble together a code bounty, pay the person who does it, and the stipulation that the code be posted to github at completion?

it doesn't work the way you think it does... lol

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4uDzZi6unHVVTNoWXF3NnZfcWM

Download that and put on one game (in the case the current naming in the archive is for being put on Pocket Fighter/Super Gem Fighter) then try the sound test.

Due to how the sound work on the CPS2 is not possible to play music from more than one game at a time.

I wasn't sure - I mean given the tendrils we have into this thing didn't know if any magic could be done to load multiple music roms in novel locations to make it happen.

If I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. :)

I am sure you will like the outcome of the test haha

Edit: Btw I did that because I was really bored... lol

Yeah each game switch would require to rewrite the the sound roms and z80 program roms and even to attempt visualization would also require hacking the z80 roms or hack at least the SF Alpha 3 z80 roms since the volume visualizer is one there.

Hrm. I guess in my head I had this idea of loading just a base program as a "rom", and then load up a "franken-rom" of just the music that is made in advance. Now that I think that through though, that's some serious hacking. There's likely nowhere near enough space, let alone the execution problems.

Oh well, it was a nice thought.

Hrm. I guess in my head I had this idea of loading just a base program as a "rom", and then load up a "franken-rom" of just the music that is made in advance. Now that I think that through though, that's some serious hacking. There's likely nowhere near enough space, let alone the execution problems.

Oh well, it was a nice thought.
I was expecting a reaction from you for the stuff I uploaded... lol

basically the CPS2 supports 256KB of Z80 code and 8MB of PCM data for the sound DSP.

I'm away from my cabinet right now.

I suspect I've been trolled.

Now I'm curious. :P

8MB, huh? I wonder how much we could cram in there if we tried to reduce it to just "interesting" music.

I'm going to wind up learning Z80 assembly, aren't I?

It's not trolling. You will get it once you play with the files lol.

I'm away from my cabinet right now.

I suspect I've been trolled.

Now I'm curious. :P

8MB, huh? I wonder how much we could cram in there if we tried to reduce it to just "interesting" music.

I'm going to wind up learning Z80 assembly, aren't I?
Best way to think of the music format is like tracker music with a simple format. Also drums on alpha 3 are long prerecorded loops(not as long and frequent as 3s) instead of one instrument one sample.

I have been sick as a dog today, so I hadn't looked into this any further.

I appreciate all of the feedback. This might just be an idea that cannot be reasonably done.

Finally getting around to this. I just thought you'd like to know that for lulz I tried opening pcf.01 in VLC. VLC decided it was an mp3 and tried to play it. The result is static, but found it funny that after introspecting the file, it somehow decided it was mp3.

It's a program to be run on the CPS2. I really hope you try it on the CPS2 multi. lol

I know that, I was just messing around, and surprised that VLC tried at all.

Been busy just getting all of my wires sorted today. I have a Jamma cab *and* an XRGB-mini, and working out the details of plugging up to both scenarios, along with maybe doing a simple 2-IC circuit to create YPbPr and another IC to separate out v-sync and create a VGA connection for multisync monitors.

I'm supposed to be in bed resting.

Finally in a place to try this.

So - you want me to put the pcm files in the Pocket Fighter folder, overwriting the originals? (backing them up, of course).

Just overwrite files 01 and 03 with the ones I sent you then flash it to the cps2 multi and enter the sound test in the test menu. play the songs.

Back