What's new

Hedonism Bot 2.0

Grand Master
Reaction score
I got this Windy 2 from a buddy of mine. It has been nothing but trouble for him, so I bought it off him and try my hand at it.

qu6TUEWl.jpg

As you can see, its seen better days.

It did not come with the original toshiba chassis, but my friend included a 2931. I already had the chassis from my windy that I replaced with a 2930s, so no big deal.

Anyway, I was able to change the flyback on the Toshiba and get it working again. Currently it is out for a full recap courtesy of @rewrite.

I spent some time cleaning it up and I'm fairly happy with the results.

1O4E6uKl.jpg

DfjBvjGl.jpg

mLorpRel.jpg

I am at a standstill until I get more parts, but here is the breakdown of the to do:

Original keys and locks.
Sanding and repainting of the doors- need to find a paint that has a high shine or gloss.
New Control panel, buttons, sticks
Missing the 3.3v and 12v leads for the psu and change the psu fan
Possibly a new crt, this has deep scratches.

This windy 2 is different than the ones from the order- the psu is different and there is no fan for the crt neck.

Should be a fun project.

Was this Windy 2 from an east coast group buy of many moons ago? I realize numbers on monitor bezels are common enough, but the '2' caught my eye. I've got a Windy 2 with a '4' sticker on the bezel in the same color/font.

I did a teardown on mine a long time ago and found this site to be helpful. Apologies if it has already been posted, but there is a lot of good information there.

Do you happen to have the ever elusive blue marquee? Does it have the Konami JVS to JAMMA adapter?

Was this Windy 2 from an east coast group buy of many moons ago? I realize numbers on monitor bezels are common enough, but the '2' caught my eye. I've got a Windy 2 with a '4' sticker on the bezel in the same color/font.

I did a teardown on mine a long time ago and found this site to be helpful. Apologies if it has already been posted, but there is a lot of good information there.

Do you happen to have the ever elusive blue marquee? Does it have the Konami JVS to JAMMA adapter?
It was!

It did come with the blue marquee as well. No Jamma to jvs, as I told my friend to keep it. I plucked the blue marquee for the windy 2 I already have restored. This one is going to be a good bit more work.

Very cool! I hope the restoration goes well and I'll keep an eye out for another marquee. I feel like I may have a spare in storage as I tried to secure as many backup parts for the Windy 2 a while ago.

Good luck brutha! If you end up having a spare MS2930 or MS2931 to sell, please let me know.

Bump up. I started working on the PSU. The previous owner said it cooked a few Konami jvs to jamma adapters. I found that the 5v and 3.3v were high and those were able to be brought down with the pots, but the 12v was outputting 9.

I ordered caps based on my other Windy 2, which turned out to be a mistake. This is a much different revision.

N6QhJU9l.jpg

Stb0t6rl.jpg

Some of the caps were the same, but the big boys were not. I changed what I could and hoped for the best. Powered up and now the 12v is showing 11. @DecepticonZero pointed out there was 3 pots on the main board. Somehow I missed the 12v pot and a small turn got it back up to 12v.

PhJS3ZXl.jpg

One more off the checklist.

Decided to work on the doors while its not raining. Sadly the coin return door can't be removed without getting deep into the cabinet, that is a task for another day.

Unfortunately, someone pre painted these door, as under the yellowing is the original paint.

KpH33zdl.jpg

Looks much better now:

dT8SWCml.jpg

zrq5hn5l.jpg

sLTpnFfl.jpg

NRYBlDcl.jpg

It will be a few hours before I can put them back on. I also got a pcb mount cut today.

Sanded by hand- looking into a power tool for something like that now. Doing it by hand sucks.
If you're looking to take things down to bare metal, I've had good luck with any cheap angle grinder from Harbor Freight along with a wire brush wheel.

@Thamiel- yes, sand and paint. My doors were piss yellow- after cleaning and sanding I wiped it down with alcohol and let dry before painting.
Thanks for the reply mate, did you have much trouble colour matching the slightly metallic paint of the cab or did you just go with a regular white/cream paint?

@Thamiel- yes, sand and paint. My doors were piss yellow- after cleaning and sanding I wiped it down with alcohol and let dry before painting.
Thanks for the reply mate, did you have much trouble colour matching the slightly metallic paint of the cab or did you just go with a regular white/cream paint?
Its going to be slightly off due to the cabinet discoloration. I just got home and I’ll get some pics with the doors on.

yGpt4pwl.jpg

Not bad, I am hoping the rest of the plastic will clean and brighten up. Most of the other plastic did- I don't want to repaint any plastic areas as the Windy has a really lustrous shine. The other yellow door I can't access until I pull the crt, but you can see what the doors looked like before.

Back