What's new
Want To Buy
Things can be tracked without gps. Where it is matters a lot less than who was the original operator. In Japan ops sign contracts for new machines all the time. I wonder if the Konami contracts deny exporting. I do know many of the contracts state the machine must be operated for a certain period of time and specifies a date when they can be removed/parted out/sold. The serial numbers on the dongles tell them exactly who had the machine originally.

Which, as one would imagine, can cause a very unpleasant domino effect when Konami finds out the dongle isn't somewhere it should be.

Only people who run hacked versions of Konami's latest online-only games at anime conventions in regions where the games are not officially supported outside of Japan (with a couple of exceptions) and get paid for doing do are allowed to own dongles, got it.

@Darksoft @Mitsurugi-w Could you delete this thread?

Only people who run hacked versions of Konami's latest online-only games at anime conventions in regions where the games are not officially supported outside of Japan (with a couple of exceptions) and get paid for doing do are allowed to own dongles, got it.

If you'd been reading the thread, those people are smart enough not to use the dongles...

And there's an important enough discussion here that the thread shouldn't be deleted. Konami dongles call home, and this causes trouble for the original operators, and in turn the distributor the hardware got sold to after the fact.

From there guess who's next on the list? Importers.

Which leads to fine folks like you, me, and everyone else who would like to own these cabs having a much more difficult time obtaining them for a while.

There's already a witch hunt going on, don't fan the flames.

I already asked after the example game you wanted, and as soon as tools are available to play it, it will be released. If you want other games, just ask... Again it's not difficult.

And get off your weird high horse. Piracy is piracy whether it's you releasing games to the masses or guys running these games in their arcade or at shows. You're not a more honorable thief than the next guy.

Last edited:

If you'd been reading the thread, those people are smart enough not to use the dongles...
And there's an important enough discussion here that the thread shouldn't be deleted. Konami dongles call home, and this causes trouble for the original operators, and in turn the distributor the hardware got sold to after the fact.

From there guess who's next on the list? Importers.

Which leads to fine folks like you, me, and everyone else who would like to own these cabs having a much more difficult time obtaining them for a while.

There's already a witch hunt going on, don't fan the flames.

I already asked after the example game you wanted, and as soon as tools are available to play it, it will be released. If you want other games, just ask... Again it's not difficult.

And get off your weird high horse. Piracy is piracy whether it's you releasing games to the masses or guys running these games in their arcade or at shows. You're not a more honorable thief than the next guy.
The importers were also smart enough to advertise them running hacked versions of Konami's latest games. The proof is everywhere across their social media pages, it's not like these conventions are exclusive to members of the piracy forum.
People owning dongles does not affect importers or cabinet buyers in any way. It's not my problem that they chose to break the "rules" that have protected them (and the community) for YEARS. They are the reason why Konami is taking action against them.
I asked for Silent Scope, and what did I get? "It's not getting released because it's not playable yet" by somebody who has the game hacked to be able to be played offline already on a cabinet. Clearly he's not interested in releasing it, and I'd imagine not too many people would want to spend thousands on his cabinets if they could play the same game for free at home with a special controller. To then act like the authority when it comes to what arcade hardware people can and cannot sell and also lie about what said hardware is capable of is extremely shitty behaviour.

Dongles cannot "phone home". There is no way for Konami to know that the dongle even still physically exists, unless they are somehow aware of the serial number (through marketplace listnings or similar), or the dongle ID is sent by a game to their server. As you know, the games are configured by default to connect to their server, along with dummy dongle / hardware IDs. The server is inaccessible outside of their VPN. No GPS, no tracking, no tracing, nothing.

Playing games in the privacy of my own home without Konami even being aware is much more "honorable" than profiting off of stolen games, almost like a bootlegger.

I had much more here written but I'm going to chose to be respectful and not include it (it's information you can find yourself through a bit of searching), but tl;dr these importers / arcade show people are NOT the good people in this situation.

Okay, first off, because you're just so incredibly insistent on being a jerk despite your weird cloak and dagger business, you go by nibs elsewhere. And omg, you're totally exposed, and now Anthony and everyone else will witch hunt you or something I guess (jk, reality is literally no one cares and you could've posted here as nibs, or even just posted ON the piracy forum).

Oh, you've almost got it.
is sent by a game to their server
YOU GOT IT! And now you know why people don't want to be in the chain of ownership between you and Konami.
The server is inaccessible outside of their VPN.
Just because it refuses your connection doesn't mean a connections wasn't established to figure out you don't belong there... How do you think it knows you don't have an account and aren't in Japan without making a connection... Right, you need to make a connection for it to be refused.
People owning dongles does not affect importers or cabinet buyers in any way.
No, owning them doesn't. Connecting to the internet with them plugged in does. Because of what we JUST discussed above.
Playing games in the privacy of my own home without Konami even being aware is much more "honorable" than profiting off of stolen games, almost like a bootlegger.
You're right about this. But that's not what you've said you wanted to do. You wanted to release them because you're tired of the boys club... If you want to argue who's *more* of a thief, whatever, but you're still all thieves at that point. Lesser evil is still evil.
by somebody who has the game hacked to be able to be played offline already on a cabinet.
Because hacking Konami games to play offline takes all of editing a batch file and throwing on an exe. It's an under 15 minute job. Developing tools to run it on not-dedicated hardware takes a hell of a lot more effort.
tl;dr these importers / arcade show people are NOT the good people in this situation.
And how, pray tell, are YOU the good person in this situation? Hiding your identity from the community to try and buy dongles to work on releasing games independently?

And I still don't buy that you bought drives from YAJ but not dongles. They're almost always paired. Like 98.95% of the time. And if you knew you needed the dongles, you wouldn't have bought the drives without them. It sounds more like you copied other peoples' drives (which also doesn't make sense because at that point you could borrow their dongles instead).

Reactions: nem
OK, so it's clear. Those dongles are not needed to get the game running and if you connect them by accident the Operator in Japan that sold them can have trouble. They are available frequently on YAJ, so it seems to be kind of not that weird, but in any case dont plug them to avoid harming any Arcade Operator in Japan.

@Mitsurugi-w @brizzo

OK, so it's clear. Those dongles are not needed to get the game running and if you connect them by accident the Operator in Japan that sold them can have trouble. They are available frequently on YAJ, so it seems to be kind of not that weird, but in any case dont plug them to avoid harming any Arcade Operator in Japan.

@Mitsurugi-w @brizzo
The black one is needed for decryption. They don't connect anywhere (it is impossible for it to - Konami dongles aren't specialty made pieces of hardware, they're SafeNet tokens literally anyone could buy) when they're plugged into a computer, the arcade cabinet just reads IDs from it and sends it to Konami's server (which is behind a hardware VPN router, no router = no connection. 99% of people including myself do not have this, which is why unofficial servers exist in the first place).

The white one contains authentication data for Konami's network (behind their hardware VPN router). Think of it like a passkey, so if you had one of these it's useless without the VPN router and vice versa. These aren't my primary interest. I was interested in owning them if they were an added bonus or something and wasn't expensive. I could even guide people through removing the authentication data (it's not a difficult process nor requires special hardware, all you need is the drivers available on SafeNet's website) if they're really concerned about something happening to them / importer / innocent arcade in Japan. Yes, this would essentially turn it into something useless. I don't mind, could maybe repurpose it for something entirely unrelated or similar... (as long as it's free or extremely cheap :))

Last edited:
Not going into specifics but dongles are not useless without a VPN router and can be used in a way that will identify them to KONAMI. Just pointing it out.

Back