What's new

garou81

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While reading about Jedpossums ST training hack I rememberd coming across something similar for zero 3. I couldn't remember exactly where I saw it but I knew it was a japanese so I went digging and found THIS
Its publicly shared so I dont think there is anything wrong with me linking it. Can anyone patch this to the original rom and add it to the rollup

Attachments

• ZERO3TE-master.zip
    3 KB · Views: 224
I started looking at this yesterday, but kind of got stuck? I went to a few other threads to get the lowdown on how to package up the roms for the multi, it's essentially just concatenating the files in the right way.

The first "issue" I ran into was that I noticed the hack has two files sfz3j.03 and sfz3j.04 which are the program roms... for the original encrypted code? The decrypts are sfz3jd. Unless I'm missing something? I thought all of the hacks were all done on decrypted code? Or maybe he was able to decrypt the program... do his hack... and then reencrypt the whole thing? and then figure out the patch at that point?

I am using an iMac as my main desktop, I do have a winXP and a win7 computer I could use, but they're not set up right now. I was able to use Multipatch to apply the .ips patch files to the sfz3 roms (got them from emurom).

So now I have the modified sfz3j.03 and sfz3j.04... I put those back into the directory with the rest of the roms and started cat'ing the files together. I have the files prepared but then I was wondering what key file I would use? the phoenix/decrypt key or the original sfz3 key? At this point I was getting tired and couldn't find a blank microsd card to use...

Anyone know more about the encryption for it? I guess I could just keep trying stuff until it works?

Looks like multi patch is mac only.... Can hardly find any info on how to patch a mame rom. I would've thought there would be tons of resources everywhere, cant find jack. I reached out to the guy. Hopefully I hear back :nailbiting:

Looks like multi patch is mac only.... Can hardly find any info on how to patch a mame rom. I would've thought there would be tons of resources everywhere, cant find jack. I reached out to the guy. Hopefully I hear back :nailbiting:
Yeah, there's plenty of windows options. I think Lunar IPS or lips is the go to? Not sure, haven't done much of this stuff.

I just tried loading up the files I made on the multi and it just hangs after I select the game. It says Flash Writing and then just gets one * in and hangs. I tried loading some different roms and I noticed it goes to a color screen, like it is suicided? I have this exact same setup working with a different SD Card... but i'm thinking that could be my issue right now? Or because I'm making it on a mac? I guess I will try another computer.

I tried the lunar ips route no luck.. I just noticed that finalburn has an ips manager and patch functions will see where that takes me later on tonite

I was able to use my patched files to load up in WinKawaks.
sfz3jr2001.png

It is modifying the encrypted version of the game, as I thought. So I would expect that when I put this onto the DS Multi I will need to use the same key file as encrypted SFZ3. I need to try making a new sdcard for my multi with these files...

Got this working on CPS2 using the SFZ3JR2 rom from the fba romset. I needed to change the encryption key to the Jpn version as well. This is a really impressive training mode hack!

@rememberizer for those of us completely clueless on this, is there any way you could give a description of the steps to reproduce your success?

It's pretty simple!
1. Get the sfz3jr2 rom and extract 03 and 04.
2. Get the patch files and apply them using whichever program you like. I used Lazy-ips on Ubuntu.
3. Burn the ROMs and swap them with your CPS2 Zero3 or Alpha3 Roms 3 and 4.
4. Using an infinikey or Arduino, you need to set it to use the Street Fighter Zero 3 - Japan key if it wasn't already. I used a SF Zero 3 Asia B Board so I had to change the key on my Arduino Nano to the Japan region. That's it!

to get it working with an emulator I did the same steps as above... only I had to rezip the files for the emulator to know what game it is. I didn't have to set a decryption key because I believe that kawaks has them all stored and just uses the zip name to decide which key to use? I have the files prepared for the DS multi, but haven't confirmed they are working yet. I need to get a new microsd card which I have ordered, but won't arrive until Monday.

and one note about kawaks... to use this training mode options you need to use the start button with combination of some other keys. On the keyboard I was using the F keys require a Fn button to be pressed, which works fine... until you try to do some multi key combos with non-function keys. Ultimately I had to change the start button to another key to get it working on that computer/keyboard setup.

For anyone trying to follow along at home... It is imperative to use the sfz3jr2 release, not the other ones. The github mentions 980629 JAPAN, which is how I knew which version to patch. Here are the CRCs for the 03 and 04 files before and after patching:

Original roms crc32:
$ crc32 sz3j.03
f7cb4b13
$ crc32 sz3j.04
0846c29d

Patched roms crc32:
$ crc32 sz3j.03
b57412fa
$ crc32 sz3j.04
eea5e3ca

Last edited:
I asked a friend of mine who speaks Japanese to help me with this. Google translate was sufficient for the majority of the functions except I didn't know what piyori or garkura was? He let me know that piyori is a state of dizziness and garkura is guard cancel.

Code:
[Details]
-When the setting is free play, the functions described below will be enabled.

[Function]
・ Fully open hidden elements
・ Weak P Medium P Strong P Weak K Medium K Strong K + Start: Transition to test menu
・ (During round) Weak K Medium P Strong K + Start: Transition to character selection screen
・ (During round) To) Weak K Medium K Strong K + Start: Rematch
・ (During the round) Weak P Medium P Strong P + Start: Cheat ON / OFF switching

[Function when cheat is ON]
・ Time does not decrease
・ KO does not occur
・ Physical strength MAX when combo is interrupted
・ Weak P + start: Gauge amount switching (MAX or 50%)
・ Medium P + start: Piyori switching (NONE or NORMAL)
・ Strong P + start : Garkura switching (NONE or NORMAL)
・ Weak K + start: OC remaining time switching (INF or NORMAL)
・ Medium K + start: Counter switching (COUNTER or NORMAL)
・ Strong K + start: Operator switching (CPU or HUMAN)

This is really exciting! Having this title in the DS multi setup will be great if possible. Especially considering how well it was done. I’ve never used the Super Turbo training rom so I can’t compare that but the description of this one sounds extra polished.

The ST training mode hack is way more simplistic than this. For me, the ultimate would be a 3s training mode where I could perfect my dudley combos.

I wish 0xZero3 would make more! I still have to boot up emulators to get "Training Mode" for the other CPS2 games. Speaking of training mode on arcade hardware, some Dreamcast to Naomi ports of MVC2 and CVS2 would be excellent, too. That's literally all I use my Dreamcast for.

I got the training mode rom working on my multi.

this was the trick:
copy /b game.03x + game.04x + game.05x + game.06x + game.07x + game.08x + game.09x + game.10x thegame.02

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps2-roll-up-packs-all-roms-for-the-cps2-kit.1102/post-15056
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...-videos-old-version-till-10-2020.21/post-4863

using that with the hacked roms to generate a new .02 program file. I then put that in with the older release files for sfz3jr2 on the multi.

@KaPH33n

UMM Can you please explain that again for the dummies. Copy /b game.03x....
Is this a command that you enter in some program? How exactly do you generate a new program file

I'll try to list the steps out...

1. download the ips files from the github or the zip attached to post #1
2. download the roms for 980629 JAPAN release: sfz3jr2.zip
3. use any ips patcher application to apply the two patches to those two files and save them into a new directory
4. copy the rest of the program roms into this same directory such that everything is the same as the original release except the .03 and .04 files

a. at this point you could run it in an emulator or burn those roms to eproms and put in a real sfz3 game board.
b. or you can prepare them for the multi by combining the program roms into one file, see below

To prepare them for the multi you need the various types of roms merged or prepared in a specific way. All of the program roms need to be concatenated and named .02.

if you're in windows you would use copy /b command, pseudocoded like above. if you're on a mac or linux you'd use cat to combine files. This is done on the command line. There are applications that can do it as well, but it's beyond the scope of this post to pick which one you want to use. Depending on how you name your files would change the command, but essentially you're combining all of the game roms into one file with the extension .02. for my purposes i am using the directory and base file name sfz3tm.

$ crc32 sfz3tm.02
ef603ceb

I took the sfz3jr2 release that was included in the full mame roll up pack and replaced the .02 file with the one I created. I edited the NAME file to what I wanted but left the KEY file alone. At this point you can put this onto your multi's SD card in the games directory and it will be selectable in the menu.

Back