What's new

jkl

Student
Reaction score
There are many forums all over the world, but here I hope I'll get the DEFINITIVE answer: the (in)famous killer supercap on Naomi boards has to be replaced or the board is 100% safely working without it?
Someone says it is used to backup data, before battery kicks in. But what kind of data?

In a netboot setup is in any way needed or the best thing to do is to rip it off completely and goodbye?
For example, the system settings as well as network address are mantained by that f**king bastard?

Many thanks,
JKL

As far as I know, it is a redundant appendix. System settings are kept by the battery. For the Naomi 1, it seems to be more of a problem than the Naomi 2. But all in all I would remove it to preserve your Naomi boards. The small advantage of keeping it and the nuisance posed by whatever function it holds is not worth a dead Naomi from supercap fluid leak.

Agree, just remove it and test, it wont damage anything by not having it. It will damage something if it leaks. I removed it on 2 naomis and so far all is working as it should.

I asked Ken at irepairsega what the purpose of the supercap was. He told me he honestly doesn't know but he replaces it anyways when he does a repair involving the cap.

So many people have gone without it and not noticed anything. You should remove it and only replace it if you notice any problems yourself.

The most sensible rumor I've heard is it allows bookkeeping info to be saved right after the power is cut. I remove them on my own boards.

I suspect supercap's true function is to insure designed obsolescence. It seems to do a excellent job at this. Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Anyone have a pic of this supercap on the board?

I most likely need to remove mine.

I already replaced on 2 boards with brand new supercaps.
This leads me to another question: brand new supercaps are prone to same leaking risk?
If I recall readings the leak-gate is related to the chemical composition of supercaps exactly in the golden era of Sega Naomi, there were a couple of years with weak electronics due to supercaps manufacturing...

Does this make sense?
Or removing them is anyway our safer bet?

In order from best to worst:
  1. Desoldering iron & soldering iron combo working both sides
  2. Soldering iron and vacuum pump
  3. Cut the sucker off with flush cutters

In order from best to worst:
  1. Desoldering iron & soldering iron combo working both sides
  2. Soldering iron and vacuum pump
  3. Cut the sucker off with flush cutters
Now you can add another to the list:

4. Rip it off with a pair of pliers.

Working fine!

Thanks!

Now you can add another to the list:
4. Rip it off with a pair of pliers.

Working fine!

Thanks!
I really want to use the dislike button, but I don't dislike your post, just the process, lol...
;( ;( ;( ;(

Well, my soldering skills SUCK!

I just bent the metal pins that it was connected to back and forth until they broke off.

It looks like there was nothing ever there.

Looks great works great, nuff said!

:D

Last edited:
I replaced the cap with a new one on a Naomi 2, and my Naomi 1 I just removed it. I used both for net booting and never noticed anything strange or settings gone missing. I did however not look at the book keeping data, so can't confirm if that goes missing. Even if it did not really relevant for my use so that would be ok.

I already replaced on 2 boards with brand new supercaps.
This leads me to another question: brand new supercaps are prone to same leaking risk?
If I recall readings the leak-gate is related to the chemical composition of supercaps exactly in the golden era of Sega Naomi, there were a couple of years with weak electronics due to supercaps manufacturing...

Does this make sense?
Or removing them is anyway our safer bet?
You just never know. Manufacturing tolerances proved to be flawed for that one run of supercaps during Naomi's lifetime. Who is to tell if you don't end up with one from that run? And maybe it wasn't a manufacturing tolerance flaw. What if it was a design flaw of the supercap? Then then the probability %'age of leakage is inevitable.

Safest bet is just to remove it. Supercap's function, whatever that may be, has proven to be either academic or redundant. Safest bet is to remove "c'te bastard" and insure operation of your Naomi for a long time to come.

A chihiro baseboard also has a goldcap and a CR2032 coin cell battery.
It looks like the goldcap is keeping the memory powered when you replace the coin cell.
Naomi might use a similar approach.
So, as long as the battery is in and in good condition, you shouldn't notice a difference with or without the goldcap.

It's all just speculation and I could be wrong about it.

Back