What's new
Hi,so, the taito jvs to jamma adapter handles the upscaling? How difficult do you think it would be to have it working with a naomi?
the Naomi is JVS so no conversion is needed.
I'm not sure if all JVS to JAMMA adapters are cross compatible. I think I read around here namco adapter only works with namco boards.
are you referring to the naomi universal cabinet, or using the Taito JVS <- JAMMA converter to use the naomi motherboard? Because there's no need to adapt a JVS cabinet for JVS use.

I think you're getting JAMMA -> JVS (Using JVS in JAMMA cabs, like the capcom IO) confused with JVS -> JAMMA (using JAMMA in JVS cabs, like this Taito Converter).

Punishing the Vewlix...
IMG_20160523_102123.jpg
IMG_20160523_101655.jpg

IMG_20160523_101739.jpg
IMG_20160523_101803.jpg

Pricing on that game is insane.. Looks great and hope that you got a great deal:)

For my punisher, it sometimes it gets like a lite blue filter when you play. Is that normal?

Nice to see you got one too J . I love this game, it looks awesome.
Yea buddy I love Punisher, great beat'em up!
I'm working on something special for us too, a Caddy's and Dino's conversion (SF2CE B+C) we can drop into a CPS1.5 mobo. :D
Chips ordered, pics soon...

For my punisher, it sometimes it gets like a lite blue filter when you play. Is that normal?
I haven't seen this yet, I'm going to say NO... But I really don't know much about it. :/
Is yours a resurrected/reprogrammed or original battery operation?

Pricing on that game is insane.
I paid 400$ shipped for mine, a little on the high side I know... But IMO totally worth it!
In addition to being a awesome game, it completed my Capcom system collection too.

CPS1 (10mhz long board), CPS1 (10mhz), CPS1' (12mhz), CPS1.5, CPS2 and CPS3! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea buddy I love Punisher, great beat'em up!
I'm working on something special for us too, a Caddy's and Dino's conversion (SF2CE B+C) we can drop into a CPS1.5 mobo.
Chips ordered, pics soon...
Sweeeet!!! Already have SF2CE B+C boards put aside, and I should have a spare CPS1.5 mobo somewhere.

Hi,so, the taito jvs to jamma adapter handles the upscaling? How difficult do you think it would be to have it working with a naomi?
the Naomi is JVS so no conversion is needed.
I'm not sure if all JVS to JAMMA adapters are cross compatible. I think I read around here namco adapter only works with namco boards.
Yes the Taito Jamma to JVS kit will handle the upscaling of the video from the naomi, theres a setting for it. I take it you are planning on using the Naomi with an HD LCD display.

Ask Jassin for more info, I think he tested out a naomi in his Vewlix cab.

JAMMA_Scaler-Presets.jpg

how much do those Taito video converter boards go for? I saw a used one on YAJ a couple of months ago for about $90 but had no idea if that was a good, bad, or typical price.

$300+ USD from Taito for the whole kit.
Do they have any sort of online store? :)
The Taito Jamma kit is closer to $400, when you add shipping and bank fees (Taito only accepts payment in the form of wire transfers) it will cost you around $430-440 depending on the exchange rate your bank charges. You also have to contact them directly. I dont remember if they they have a minimum order quantity. Also, if the jamma kit is out of stock, its about a 180 day wait for them to get more in stock.

The scaler really is very good, for the boards it supports I would dare say its better then the xRGB Mini.
That however is the break down... FOR THE BOARDS IT SUPPORTS!

It simply refuses to scale/sync some games period, the xRGB Mini has always worked (I'm told it has issues with Taito F3) for me with anything.
This is my list of boards I've personally tested with the Taito and found not working.
  1. Mortal Kombat 1/2: I suspect all Midway boards on the Y/T Unit have this problem, funkey refreshs to blame.
  2. Captain America and the Avengers: Sync on this and I suspect other boards from Data East made around the same time.
  3. Pang/Buster Brothers/Super Pang/Super Buster Brothers: Sync pulse isn't wide enough, only works on a analog CRTs with out a generator.
  4. Aliens: Only Konami board I've tested that didn't display, TMNT2 needed a Sync cleaner but it works.
Now as for Naomi... Yes the scaler will take the 15khz output from a Naomi and upscale that into 31khz.
But why would you ever do that? Just change the output of the Naomi to 31khz with dip switch #4 on the com-board.

Do you mean to say you have a Naomi Uni cab, that is 31khz only and you want to use 15khz boards with it?
Yup that will also work, just be aware you will have to modify the wire harness that comes with the JAMMA kit.

Derick is correct on the price too btw, with shipping and fees its closer to 450$.
The lead time is insane on this kit, so if they have it in stock and you don't want to wait 6 months... Order it!!!

Does anyone know if this scaler handles Seibu boards like raiden well?

Mortal Kombat 1/2: I suspect all Midway boards on the Y/T Unit have this problem, funkey refreshs to blame.
MK games run 400x254 @53.20 Hz so yeah, it's an odd-ball

does this scaller even do Medium resolution?

honestly based on what you described it seems not worth the price. what makes this better than say an Ultracade video converter?

Sync is an increasing issue with the upscalers like FrameMeister and even the OSSC (with current firmware)

By splitting the composite sync signal into H & V and adjusting the width of the pulses and then regenerating the composite sync we can fix this.

This little device fixes it for the FrameMeister:

http://ntls.shop-pro.jp/?pid=78855569

Note: This is NOT the same as a sync cleaner, a sync cleaner (LM1881) only removes the video signal from a composite signal and therefore creates a cleaner sync.

@twistedsymphony, the Ultracade is a downscaler.

Back