What's new

100Proof

Professional
Reaction score
Hey gang.

I've got a couple of tech jobs that are out of my league (need to drill out a lock on a Blast City and re-cap a monitor) and was wondering if there was anyone people know/trust in the Raleigh/Durham area. I looked in most of the usual spaces and there doesn't appear to be a lot of options these days.

More than willing to pay or if it's someone on here who doesn't want money, I can hook somebody up with a PCB or just buy dinner or whatever.

Before you ask, no I'm not willing to do it myself. I'm savvy enough to tinker with wires, replace parts and what not but I draw the line at soldering. I'm too twitchy and accident-prone to be trusted with delicate parts that are increasingly difficult to replace.

Can you reach the back side of the lock to unscrew the nut?

You can very easily drill that lock out yourself. Will take a few minutes and a couple of bits from the hardware store (under 10 bucks total). If you don't have a power drill, O'Reillys will rent one to you (I think?). Buy two, a smaller one as a "starter" bit, then step up to a larger bit. Make sure it's a metal bit and not for wood or something.

@GeekMan1222 is in one of the Carolinas (might be South) and I think he miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight offer recap service, but if he doesn't I am so sorry for the mention lol.

Drilling out a lock is really not skilled labor and should be something you can tackle on your own.

Harbor Freight has cheap corded drills that are plenty strong for the task.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power.../32-amp-38-in-variable-speed-drill-58528.html

Then you just need 1 nice bit and some cutting fluid or a bunch of crappy bits. The average hardware store bits are really bad at metal cutting.
I have had nothing but good experiences with these bits working on cars and arcade stuff, but a set like this is maybe a bit much to spend for one lock. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LEY70O

You can very easily drill that lock out yourself. Will take a few minutes and a couple of bits from the hardware store (under 10 bucks total). If you don't have a power drill, O'Reillys will rent one to you (I think?). Buy two, a smaller one as a "starter" bit, then step up to a larger bit. Make sure it's a metal bit and not for wood or something.

@GeekMan1222 is in one of the Carolinas (might be South) and I think he miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight offer recap service, but if he doesn't I am so sorry for the mention lol.
I can do recaps and reflows inspections etc and I have a spare test blast monitor on hand to test chassis's with now too.
Im in Spartanburg SC so idk how far your willing to drive though. I almost commented on this originally.

The lock will have to be drilled out if its enclosed in say a cash box or the CP unfortunately

I'll PM you. It's a four-hour haul which would be a drag but if I can't find anyone closer willing to assist, I may just have to suck it up. Plus I'm sure I'll end up doing business with you eventually anyway... no harm in going down to check out the warehouse and make acquaintances. I just have to make sure I don't have enough spare room to leave with a cab. ;)

Back