What's new
Want To Buy

xlom

Student
Reaction score
I'm looking for a clean original or a new reproduction billboard cover for my blast city (the plastic cover over the marquee). Mine it horribly yellowed and I'd love to get my hands on a clean one.

Thanks!

You could try peroxide lightening cream (you can get it at beauty supply stores) and exposure to UV lamps.
Might help reduce the yellowing.

Oh cool, I'll check into that. Something like goo-gone safe to use on it to get rid of sticker residue?

Attachments

• IMG_20190102_171454.jpg
    IMG_20190102_171454.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 74
Something like goo-gone safe to use on it to get rid of sticker residue?
It should be "safe" but you know what works really good/better? Ronsonol lighter fluid.
Won't damage/haze plexiglass like acetone will.

All of that is cleanable. Buy Simple Green and spray the shit outta the marquee card and plastic holder. The tape residue will also come out using isopropyl alcohol 91%. Put it on a cotton ball and keep rubbing it in until it comes off.

I had that same residue on my blast marquee, and it took a lot of effort to get it off. It does eventually rub off though, just keep hitting it with the isopropyl alcohol.

I just noticed you had residue on the black monitor bezel. Don't put alcohol on that, it'll fade the paint. Use goo gone for that.

I'm probably going to replace the marquee card with some custom art eventually. I still have the original stickers on the side of the machine, but those are super yellowed too, so I'll probably take them off and replace them with custom art too unless there's a way to lighten it without removing the print on the sticker.

Wow, this simple green stuff is working wonders. I thought it was yellowing due to age, but I guess it was just smoke residue? cause about 90% of the yellow came off with the first spray and sit.

I don't have any isopropyl alcohol 91% at the moment, but I do have mr clean magic erasers, would those work or will that mess up the paint/shine?

would those work or will that mess up the paint/shine?
They will mess up the shine!
Magic Eraser is actually an abrasive, its sanding away the surface.
NEVER use one on plexiglass!

Whew, thanks for letting me know.

I dunno if a mod wants to move this thread since it's changed from a WTB to a holy shit look how clean now thread. Speaking of, holy shit, look how well that simple green worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20190102_185656.jpg
    IMG_20190102_185656.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 60
If you're marquee holder looked like that, then i am sure the rest of the cab is/was covered in it. If you wanna do some serious cleaning with the cab, you would disassemble the entire cab and spray the ins and outs of it with simple green. Lots of work, but totally worth it.

The rest of the cab isn't terrible, but yeah, it could use a full cleaning. The chassis itself is fairly clean, there's some smoke residue on it, but nothing like the marquee had. Plus I'm not brave enough to do what I've seen people online do with theirs. My coin mech door is fairly yellowed, more than the rest of the machine so it was probably pulled off a different one. Being a condo dweller, the biggest challenge is finding a place to put the dissembled machine for cleaning. Might fit on my patio but I'll have to wait for the cold/rainy season to pass.

Here's after getting the marquee back on and the full machine. I cleaned the CP already using wet wipes.... wish I knew about simple green then....

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 69
  • full-machine.jpg
    full-machine.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 68
isopropyl came in tonight. spent an hour and a half rubbing away the sticker gunk on the marquee! Next up is the simple green on the bezel

Attachments

• IMG_20190109_194304.jpg
    IMG_20190109_194304.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 60
Back