What's new
To extract files, including "IP.BIN":wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/Extract_GD-ROM_files_from_MAME_CHD
thanks for contribution, but its sorta outdated, nowdays its simpler.
1. for chd extraction must be used:
chdman extractcd -i input_file.chd -o output.gdi
note: its important no specify output file extension .gdi, otherwise extracted image may be broken/incorrect in some parts.

2. for data extraction from GDI image can be used Japanese Cake's GDROM-Explorer, it can DES decrypt game binary as well if needed
http://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/tag/gdrom explorer

Making an ISO image - this should also work in case you ever find a GD-R wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/Disc_Layout
speking of this...
it is not correct to call SD and HD GD-ROM areas 'sessions'.
in fact GD-ROM is more like two separate disks, one starting from FAD 0 and one more starting from FAD 45000 (and security ring between them)
both SD and HD 'disks' is CD-ROMs, not multisession CD-ROM XA, so there is no 'pointers' to HD area in SD TOC.

Last edited:
I'm glad I can keep you entertained - and YES of course it is outdated, about 8 years so :)

The tools I used will be around 'forever', and works - even though the syntax for chdman may have changed a little. In general I think it's better to describe and refer to the actual data, instead of specific tools used.

You need the first 16 sectors out of track 3, so just copying files will not work - if I remember correctly.

your choice )

about NAOMI Disc Layout -
NAOMIGD.BIN contain some high entropy data (i.e random/chaotic), not looks like DES encrypted, however it have CRC32 FFFFFFFFh, so IMO its dummy-file which is checked for specific CRC32

first 16 sectors (i.e. ISO9660 'System Area') can be extracted as 'IP.BIN' in GD-Explorer

I wish we could tap into the magic of GDEmu (for Dreamcast) to work with official GDROM formats on Naomi.
It can successfully emulate all three layers (low density/SEGA ring/high density) and loads from SD card image.
Is there a reason it won't work?
I almost figured that the GDEmu should practically be a drop-in replacement for the drive assembly inside a GDROM purple box...

Is there a reason it won't work?I almost figured that the GDEmu should practically be a drop-in replacement for the drive assembly inside a GDROM purple box...
Tried it, there are some extra control signals which make it incompatible.

awwwww
.. so the actual drive mechanism is different from DC to Naomi?

no teh drives from dc can be dropped in to a gdrom purple box. ive done it. i believe certain control line like the clock line isnt on the gdrom cable.

interesting-would it be possible to repurpose some of the N/C pins on the cable?

awwwww
.. so the actual drive mechanism is different from DC to Naomi?
This is what I got from Deunan back in the day:

Original GD drives are 5V or 3V3, but even then are 5V tolerant. GDEMU
is not 5V tolerant. If there are control signals driven by 5V logic
then you should stop using GDEMU in NAOMI or it will eventually kill the FPGA I/Os.

hmm interesting.. so level shifting everything might be an option
just spitballing ideas here...

Owning a GDEmu I really love the way the board operates...
I would much rather use a GDROM shell with a GDEmu inside over a CF board any day.

The problems with CF are one game per-card (not a problem with GDE)
CF cards are hard to find in small sizes, large cards are $$$ (GDE uses SD cards)
Games need to be written to CF with special software (GDE is drag'n drop from Windows Explorer)

Owning a GDEmu I really love the way the board operates...
I would much rather use a GDROM shell with a GDEmu inside over a CF board any day.

The problems with CF are one game per-card (not a problem with GDE)
CF cards are hard to find in small sizes, large cards are $$$ (GDE uses SD cards)
Games need to be written to CF with special software (GDE is drag'n drop from Windows Explorer)
I'd think Netbooting is more feasible here? NetDimm cost would be less than GDEmu + Dimm + SDcard + GDROM?

When I first read this I was thinking it was the answer to what I wanted to do. Unfortunately if it requires a modded dim firmware it will not work.

I have a regular dim that has 1.02 on it that I would like to update to atleast 3.17. I figured I could make a cd-r copy of the dim firmware update disc and that would fix it. Unless the dim firmware update disc would not have the same media check problem as a game would.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a cd-r copy of a dim firmware update disc work without the modded dim firmware?

When I first read this I was thinking it was the answer to what I wanted to do. Unfortunately if it requires a modded dim firmware it will not work.

I have a regular dim that has 1.02 on it that I would like to update to atleast 3.17. I figured I could make a cd-r copy of the dim firmware update disc and that would fix it. Unless the dim firmware update disc would not have the same media check problem as a game would.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a cd-r copy of a dim firmware update disc work without the modded dim firmware?
I know and the answer is no, the NAOMI will reject the media type.

I don't have anything to release. I Have some IDA pro files that are almost 8 years old, the raw flash image which may or may not work properly is also about the same age. I don't have the gear or inclination to test all this, burn CD-R's to see if it works, then answer questions about why people can't get it to work..

If you really want to have a go at it, I suggest you start disassembling a 3.17 version of the firmware. You're looking for a function called gdachecksecurity IIRC.

sorry i was not asking for a finished product. raw flash image was what i was talking about. thanks for your time thou.

Back