What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
I know this is counter-intuitive, but I have a GDROM drive coming with a NetDimm package that I picked up. I also have a regular Dimm. The plan is to use the GDROM until I can put together my CF readers (awaiting parts). Given I have the Zero-key chip installed on my Dimm, is this possible to burn the NAOMI bin file to CDR and play them on the GDROM drive?

Thanks!

never heard it done before. thought about it but .... good luck

Ok, then. Back to plan A. Net booting and CF Reading. Now for those parts to be delivered :/

I used to work at Plextor as a QA engineer back in the day. If anyone knows how to burn CDR's it is me. But nah. Not worth the effort. I'll soon have 2 NetDimm's. I have one working Dimm already. 1 non-working DIMM. I'll probably pick up 3 more Dimm's. Those Dimm's will run off CF readers. I'll probably sell off one of the NetDimm's. Only need one so I can update the Dimm's to 4.02. I bought a GDROM game to test the drive to be sure that it works before I sell it off.

I'd say - there was no interested enough person, who have skills to hack DIMM firmware, and wants CD support added ;)
there only hacked 4.01 with CF vendor check disabled, which people call "4.02"

I'd say - there was no interested enough person, who have skills to hack DIMM firmware, and wants CD support added ;)
there only hacked 4.01 with CF vendor check disabled, which people call "4.02"
Yeah, well, I am anxious what can I say. Will be a while before those parts come in from China before I can put together the CF readers. I picked up CvS2 so that I can confirm that the GDROM drive I have coming works. Maybe hang onto it in case I ever get a Chihiro.

Before net booting and CF boooting, there was CD-R booting. You need to patch the DIMM firmware to disable media-check (GD-R vs CD-R) and a few other things, I have tried this myself and it works, somewhat. Unfortunately, at least my setup failed after 1 hour of game-play - probably another mediacheck somehwere that triggered a reset.

I'm not aware of anyone managing to patch the firmware properly to avoid the reboot after an hour+.

Before net booting and CF boooting, there was CD-R booting. You need to patch the DIMM firmware to disable media-check (GD-R vs CD-R) and a few other things, I have tried this myself and it works, somewhat. Unfortunately, at least my setup failed after 1 hour of game-play - probably another mediacheck somehwere that triggered a reset.

I'm not aware of anyone managing to patch the firmware properly to avoid the reboot after an hour+.
All good; moot point now. I just needed to explore this to test the GDROM I picked up to confirm it works with a CDR. I picked up CvS2 for this purpose. I am CF booting for the most part. I have one NetDimm. Will use that to update the firmware on my Dimm's. As coveted as the NetDimm's are, I think it is more feasible for me to CF boot. I just want to just have the game start up and be able to play without getting on a PC to run the transfer each time. It is just situational preference as I want to have four maybe five NAOMI-based cabs up and running at any time.

I have an IDA PRO file timestamped 2008-10-10, which may be it - in any case it is the raw flash image for use with a programmer in a setup like this:
http://kirurg.org/drop/dimm-debug-setup.jpg

In any case, I can't take much credit for the firmware as the real details came from Spain..

I put the utility to encrypt/decrypt files on github - https://github.com/prrole/ncrypt

and will put the information on how to create the proper layout of the CD somewhere.

This is all academic though, and really belongs in the dustbin of history.

hi,

Is this sudden reboot thing a common/known issue in this kind of setups?

thanks i know its useless becuase of cf and netbooting but im very interested. whatever you can provide would be nice.

Sorry for off topic.

But that wiki has some great info invzim keep up the great work :)

I wish we could tap into the magic of GDEmu (for Dreamcast) to work with official GDROM formats on Naomi.
It can successfully emulate all three layers (low density/SEGA ring/high density) and loads from SD card image.

That process does not work with the latest chdman...

If you just want to extract files from a GD-ROM image do this:

Tools used:
. GDROM-Explorer (1.6.3)
. chdman (0.165 +)

>chdman extractcd -f -i gdl-0005.chd -o game.gdi -ob game.bin

This will create 4 files:

game.gdi
game.gdi01.bin
game.gdi02.raw
game.gdi03.bin

Load game.gdi from GDROM-Explorer and select the High Density track.

[ will stop editing now :) ]

Last edited:
Back