What's new
I don't think that will work. During testing I could not get cards with a physical size > 2GB to work properly. 2GB is the max size of FAT16
man I struggled for a long time trying to get CF booting to work and never never did. I wonder if this was my issue.

I don't think that will work. During testing I could not get cards with a physical size > 2GB to work properly. 2GB is the max size of FAT16

dumb question : Is there a difference between the IDE port and the scsi / GDROM port ? which one(s) did you use during testing? cause I've seen SSD drives on the IDE port? these must have been more than 2GB no?

A bit unsure on the difference between the ports, I have only used the external one because ease of change when it comes to the CF.

Try doing a memory test on the media board to verify that all is OK and try to get hold of a CF card which is <= 2GB.

Does your system have the Zero Pic installed ?

A bit unsure on the difference between the ports, I have only used the external one because ease of change when it comes to the CF.

Try doing a memory test on the media board to verify that all is OK and try to get hold of a CF card which is <= 2GB.

Does your system have the Zero Pic installed ?

The super long memory test was (accidentally) ran successfully yesterday.
Yes it has a Zero pic, from your great procedure :) thank you !

Found a 4GB in an old camera :( .... still looking for a < = 2 GB card

Reactions: rtw
will try this tomorrow:

Attachments

• IMG_9219.jpeg
    IMG_9219.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 38
With my chihiro, my Sandisk cards that worked perfectly on the naomi didn't work at all on my chihiro. I'm not sure if it was the card reader. My Naomi card reader is the Aliexpress cheapo but the chihiro one looked like an OEM.

It did exactly the same thing, it would "load" the game and get the same message, i tried multiple different games but nothing worked until I changed the SD card to the ones that my naomi didn't read...

so let's recap:

- insert CF card in ide adapter on XP machine, directly in IDE port. boot xp.
- insert USB key with the cfcard tools from this thread
- open cmd prompt and go to usb key
- run listphys.exe to see which physical id the CF card is
- run ataid -p # > output.txt (where # is the number giving at previous step)
- shutdown xp machine. Take Cf card out of IDE adapter and insert it in USB cf card reader on Windows 10 machine (these were my steps but I could have simply run the following on the xp machine!)
- take usb key from xp to windows 10 machine as well. check your output.txt for this line: "sector : 0x3131" This is the only thing you need for the next step.
- run gcfi -r -s 0x3131 -d g:\ -l ABC.BIN -g Wangan_Midnight_Maximum_Tune_2B_EXP_512.bin
if have error message about wiping, run
- gcfi -W -r -s 0x3131 -d g:\ -l ABC.BIN -g Wangan_Midnight_Maximum_Tune_2B_EXP_512.bin
- eject card, reinsert, format as FAT, rerun run gcfi -r -s 0x3131 -d g:\ -l ABC.BIN -g Wangan_Midnight_Maximum_Tune_2B_EXP_512.bin
- eject it all, plug card back into ide adapter and into chihiro with jumper 9 set to 1-2 (as opposed to 2-3 for netboot) , boot and:

Thus confirming that indeed the max size of the card appears to be 2GB!

Last edited:
C:\>gcfi -r -p -s 0x3434 -d e:\ -l ABC.BIN -g ck.bin
os version : 10.0 (19045)
logical drive : e:\
physical drive: 0
size : 488MB
sector size : 512

gcfi: command error, not allowed to modify master drive: 512

I get this error, should I set my cf adapter as slave?

@tonyt76 thank you for running those programs, good to see that the Startech PCI-E to IDE is working :D

I have made a new version of gcfi you can test, it removes the test for master and is considered a beta.

-- removed --
or maybe should i use this CGFI version?

@mrmv can you please run the command: listphys included in the archive ?

Also the game ck.bin must not be the one you have copied from your card, because it will have been modified.

@rtw C:\>listphys.exe
Device Name Size Type
------------------------------ --------- ---------
\\.\PhysicalDrive0 512 MB Removable
\\.\PhysicalDrive1 1.0 TB Fixed
\\.\PhysicalDrive2 1.0 TB Fixed

C:\>

thanks for your help

Last edited:
ck.bin is the game i always use with netbooting, it works with netbooting

this is the line I run:
C:\>gcfi -r -p -s 0x3434 -d e:\ -l ABC.BIN -g ck.bin

sector is ok and e: is my cf

cf is connected to my win10 pc with startech pcie to ide adapter + ide to cf adapter the same one i use to connect cf to net dimm
but without ide to gd rom socket adapter
I have been able to detect cf and read ID sector without any problem with your tools

now i get it, i must write the cf using a normal cf to usb adatper not the same adpater i used to read the ID sector

it seems I have been able to write it, now I test it
C:\>gcfi -r -p -s 0x3434 -d v:\ -l ABC.BIN -g ck.bin
os version : 10.0 (19045)
logical drive : v:\
physical drive: 3
size : 488MB
sector size : 512
removing files: done
sector offset : 0x3434
game file : ck.bin
file size : 167772160 bytes
loader file : ABC.BIN
output file : CK.BIN
region byte : 0xff
game crc32 : 0xbc9a8d16
loader crc32 : 0x436572e9
copying file : ck.bin -> v:\CK.BIN
region patch : done
generating xor: done
creating csum : done

@rtw C:\>listphys.exe
Device Name Size Type
------------------------------ --------- ---------
\\.\PhysicalDrive0 512 MB Removable
\\.\PhysicalDrive1 1.0 TB Fixed
\\.\PhysicalDrive2 1.0 TB Fixed

C:\>

thanks for your help
Looks like my drive detection logic is a bit flawed. I might have to make a fix for that.

Yes normally people just take the CF card, get the ATA ID, use the ATA ID as a volume label and then use a simple USB adapter.

I have an old laptop with a PCI express slot, would a PCIe to cf adapter work to read the id on the cf card?

Back