What's new
"What happens if you do not power the STR PCB but leave the cable connected to J104 ? (trying to eliminate grounding issues)"

BUT!! BREAK THROUGH : Trying that, I plugged it back in after the boot ( while in the chihiro test menu) and on exit, it went in the game and TADAM!! FFB works!!
I reproduced the following steps:

-Power off, connector J103 (+5,+12) on FFB connected, CN5 connected, power On : Result: ERROR 26
-Power off, connector J103 on FFB disconnected, CN5 connected, power on : after chihiro boot, hot plug J103, goes in, check wheel , and works!

what the !
Well you know what you have to try now :D

Take J103 and disconnect a wire one by one then power on. I would make a small interface cable to avoid thrashing the original cable.

I would probably start with testing GND :)

Well you know what you have to try now :D
Take J103 and disconnect a wire one by one then power on. I would make a small interface cable to avoid thrashing the original cable.

I would probably start with testing GND :)
J103 is RX, TX and GND
if I leave RX and GND connected, no error
if I unplug RX, connect TX and GND: Error 26
just GND= no error
only TX = Error.

So the error is on pin3 of J103, the Tx:
tx.jpg

which in turn goes to CN5 pin 1 ...

now what

How are you powering everything? The mt3 cab would not have had a JVS psu, so what is powering the Chihiro and does it have stable 5v? Does anything happen to 5v at the Chihiro when that connector is plugged in? The TX would be the wire that the ffb board uses to send data to the port on the Chihiro. Is it locked on to some out of spec voltage, causing a fault in the Chihiro, or is RX on the Chihiro somehow shorted to ground?

Nice troubleshooting @Mrhide!

Measure the voltage on the TX from the STR but also the same pin on your Chihiro.

Then do what @winteriscoming suggests check the power layout thoroughly.

How are you powering everything? The mt3 cab would not have had a JVS psu, so what is powering the Chihiro and does it have stable 5v? Does anything happen to 5v at the Chihiro when that connector is plugged in? The TX would be the wire that the ffb board uses to send data to the port on the Chihiro. Is it locked on to some out of spec voltage, causing a fault in the Chihiro, or is RX on the Chihiro somehow shorted to ground?
Good question:
The n2 computer being gone, there is the old power plug that went in its power supply that is free: i plugged in a 400-5330 right in it, which then output the proper power/connectors to the chihiro. It is pretty stable 5v, that PS has been recapped and it was running my naomi setup.
IMG_4711.jpg

there is 3.6 volt at CN5 pin 1
The tx wire outputs 5.8 volt, which is rather high no?
the 5 volt at the chihiro power connector does not move shall CN5 be connected or not

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated! Yes, i guess i can say I’m having fun ! Sorta!

Last edited:
there is 3.6 volt at CN5 pin 1
The tx wire outputs 5.8 volt, which is rather high no?
the 5 volt at the chihiro power connector does not move shall CN5 be connected or not
Does CN5 pin 2 have any odd voltage reading or is it shorted to ground at all when unplugged? TX from the FFB should be going there.

The serial standard is RS232, though there's a broad range of accepted voltages for the standard, so that information may not help us here. 5.8v may be out of spec, but it's hard to say.

As far as I recall, the FFB board basically takes AC input and has an onboard transformer for its own DC voltages, and rs232 signal goes through a voltage converter. I don't recall what all voltages are used on the board, and I don't think they're adjustable. Did you say you have access to 2 ffb boards?

We're doing a deep dive here on subjects largely off topic for this thread. It may be worth breaking out into a new troubleshooting thread since we're beyond the firmware installation.

I screwed up my measure above.

cn5 pin 2 has 0.69 v unplugged.
Is is not shorted to ground.

Agreed on topic.

i think i see a problem with the str board situation:

wmmt 1 str 315 str2
wmmt 2 str 315 str2
wmmt 3 str 320 str2
wmmt 3dx+ str320/str332 (from dead heat) str2/str3

i went through this nightmare a while back with a friend that had a v315 in a wmmt 3. it is a pain it the ass. will randomly pass/fail handle check. i would suspect you would have problems running a v320 with mt 1 or 2

Last edited:
my board boot black screen and stop, after that dnt run at all, even after lot of time. I must change power board to reboot it. So since unplugged batttery no problem with my 2 power board.

my board boot black screen and stop, after that dnt run at all, even after lot of time. I must change power board to reboot it. So since unplugged batttery no problem with my 2 power board.

Salut,
- Tu peux mettre une photo de ta batterie et le connecteur sur lequel tu la branches et de quel façon/polarité svp?
- Est-ce que tu as le logo Chihiro au début ou bien pas du tout?
- Qu'est-ce qui se passe du côté des 2 LEDS sur le chihiro?
-lorsque tu dis "powerboard" tu parles de quel carte / module exactement? des photos svp!

Merci!

C'est bizare ton problème. (on va se faire dire qu'on est pas dans le bon thread bientot, tu va voir)
mais
1- Des fois il est nécessaire d'avoir un bon ground. met lui au moins une visse pour le tenir?
2- Tu peux t'assurer que tes dip switches sont bien fonctionnelles? Avec un multimètre, on = beep. test tes 2 powerboard
3- tu as bien la batterie Sega, elle sort bien du 7.2V? tu peux la remplacer par un petit board DC to DC que tu branches en passant pour garder la mémoire indéfiniment.
4- Ton board fonctionne sans la batterie? il boot bien, tu peux jouer?

depuis que j'ai ennlevé la pile oui sa fonctionne bien. je suis en netboot
since battery removed work fine.

is there a fix for this issue with the battery and the board. i have 1 unit with the same issue.

Back