What's new
I talked with a guy who owns one- says an LS-30 works with it. Suspected that it has different traces than others. This has been in my top 10 wants since I learned of its existence.

I talked with a guy who owns one- says an LS-30 works with it.
I call BS unless they can back it up with close up pictures of the traces around the connectors and the IO circuit on the PCB

the game code that has been dumped in MAME only supports 8 positions, not 12, and every picture on the internet of the connectors and supporting circuitry only supports 8 positions, not 12.

so the guy you talked to is either lying or he has a completely un-dumped, and never-photographed version of the game PCB.

I call BS unless they can back it up with close up pictures of the traces around the connectors and the IO circuit on the PCB

the game code that has been dumped in MAME only supports 8 positions, not 12, and every picture on the internet of the connectors and supporting circuitry only supports 8 positions, not 12.

so the guy you talked to is either lying or he has a completely un-dumped, and never-photographed version of the game PCB.
I lean toward the guys is "mistaken," but that being said, can a 12 position work on an 8 position game and just over or under rotate?

I lean toward the guys is "mistaken," ...
not knowing something is fine, but don't make claims if you don't actually know. Qualify your statement ("I think...", "I assume...", etc.) or test it before making the claim to be sure.

... can a 12 position work on an 8 position game and just over or under rotate?
I cover this in my article. in the "What would happen if you tried to use an LS-30?" section

Fair enough for avoiding bad information getting out into the wild, but I lean towards mistaken rather than directly saying he's lying because I give people the benefit of the doubt when I can.

I'll check out your write up on the 12/8 position situation, thanks!

I've repaired a few jackal pcbs but they are all 8 way joystick. Great game.

You can get jackal working fine with a standard rotary but it's cheating. I've the data east yellow rotary sticks in one of the cabs and use this method.

1. Groovymame pc hooked up to the cab
2. use groovygamegear's GP-Wiz40 adapter.
3. Plug and play from stick to usb on the pc.
4. Then in mame config for jackal rotary version set, configure an anticlockwise spin to Dial Dec and clockwise spin to Dial Inc.
5. Enjoy

nope, I've had a few ideas that will "work" but none of them are good enough that I've wanted to run with them.

Back