What's new
Darksoft, can you consider adding the connectors for the forgotten worlds spinners? I pre-ordered the cps1 multi and 2x spinners. The ultimate package :D

So I've been silent about this up to this point...

Look I ordered, and I hope I get a original Q-Sound.
Why if they are 100% exactly the same?

My personal feeling is IF I'm going to pass data thru an FPGA OF ANY KIND why not just use a Myster?
These are my personal feelings, I don't need to back them up like an argument with facts as to why I feel this way.

So what happens if I get a FPGA version?
I finish assembling the multi, test and sell it (on eBay because you won't allow it here).

I don't think its fair that as soon as YOU announced original Q-sound chips would be sourced...
WE created a pre-order list because THAT SUPPLY AS ALWAYS LIMITED and we wanted to be assured of getting one.

Since that time you found a work around in FPGA, opening up the ability for a lot more people to own one.
That shouldn't change the fact that the list exists and was promised to be be honored, now that isn't happing because this isn't what I signed up for.

Spin what I said anyway you like, you can't change the fact that a promise is being broken to your most loyal/longest of fans.
ie If only 100 original Q-Sound chips exist, than your first 100 people on the list get that option (QS or FPGA) PERIOD.
If I get a Q-sound based board, I will swap with you. I have zero preference.

Out of curiosity I made a quick search on ebay with "cps1 multi" and unfortunately there is an auction selling the @Darksoft multi. There are images and no mention that is a preorder, so I think that the seller has the PCB. I personally don't see it as a problem since I already preordered throgh @CPZ - SAVEYOURGAMES but maybe could be an issue for darksoft and resellers. (anyway there are only 22 minutes left on the auction)

Out of curiosity I made a quick search on ebay with "cps1 multi" and unfortunately there is an auction selling the @Darksoft multi. There are images and no mention that is a preorder, so I think that the seller has the PCB. I personally don't see it as a problem since I already preordered throgh @CPZ - SAVEYOURGAMES but maybe could be an issue for darksoft and resellers. (anyway there are only 22 minutes left on the auction)
he is one of the testers, so no worries.
This is one of the five test units?
Yes, he got one of the 5 test units, he even tested one of the previous prototypes.

we have speaked about this things 3/4 times in this thread

He is selling a future product, a preorder, no one can sell something now, for a simple reason: Boards are not yet produced, only some Prototypes. Pics are from prototypes not for final product

On the list as #258 😭

Ah well, those who wait for something good never wait too long.

Here is the latest update on the production. 5 units were sent to testers from all around the world, experts in CPS1 so they could do a final thorough testing. We identified some issues related to the sound amplifier Class D that we were using. It happens only to some people depending on the setup that they have. For that reason, I'm going to change the amplifier to a AB class which is exactly what the original QSound had. They draw more current but they generate zero noise. That means that I have to modify the design, produce 2 more PCBs so that we can confirm that the problem is gone and then I can hit the button for the mass production. I'm not going to release something that isnt of the highest quality and standards and that makes your experience 100%. From the logistics point of view this means about 4-5 weeks delay to make what was exceptional, even better. Mitsurugi will be releasing the videos very soon that I'm sure will drop your jaws.

Thanks!
Was checking in for an update and saw I missed it. Thanks for the excellent quality checking darksoft and testers! The wait is worth it.

In the meantime @Mitsurugi-w, it's always a special event when you do a Darksoft multi preview video! I'm looking forward to it until Santasoft delivers my CPS1-Multi.

Im really sorry, i know this is annoying because its been discussed but just to be clear, the games designed for 10mhz chips will run faster on 12mhz chips? I thought i had read that they would just have less slow down on 12mhz chips but i cant remember.

Again, sorry for the annoying question, im just a guy that likes spaceships and ninjas and robots.

Thanks! :)

Im really sorry, i know this is annoying because its been discussed but just to be clear, the games designed for 10mhz chips will run faster on 12mhz chips? I thought i had read that they would just have less slow down on 12mhz chips but i cant remember.

Again, sorry for the annoying question, im just a guy that likes spaceships and ninjas and robots.

Thanks! :)
will not run faster. to be honest you most likely wont even notice any difference at all. i swapped the 10mhz crystal in my MERCs board for a 12mhz one and have playedit a bunch and didnt notice a difference at all.

i swapped the 10mhz crystal in my MERCs board for a 12mhz one and have playedit a bunch and didnt notice a difference at all.
The best example of crystal mismatch (one you can actually notice) is playing Street Fighter 2 CE/TE on a 10mhz board, some chains/combos will behave differently with the extra slowdown.
Most will say mismatch its a non issue (and for most games this is true) if you want to take the time/effort for a dual/switchable crystal setup this would be absolute perfection.

The best example of crystal mismatch (one you can actually notice) is playing Street Fighter 2 CE/TE on a 10mhz board, some chains/combos will behave differently with the extra slowdown.
Most will say mismatch its a non issue (and for most games this is true) if you want to take the time/effort for a dual/switchable crystal setup this would be absolute perfection.
I'll be getting the dual crystal setup myself when it becomes available, but it's not a deal breaker running just a 10mhz crystal either. For casual gamers like me, it doesn't make a lick of difference. If you want 101% arcade authenticity and won't settle for 99.9%, ur best option is to buy each board individually, or buy 2 multiz, 1 for 10mhz games and 1 for 12mhz games. This is really made for casual gamers anyway... i don't think anyone will be running tournaments with these. In metaphorical terms, it's like a really hot babe with a small pimple on her ass. Still gonna send it and be very happy.

i don't think anyone will be running tournaments with these.
I thought the same with regard to the CPS3 in a tournament setting.

Much to my surprise a few years in that's exactly what happened...
Being suicide-proof has its advantages!

Anyway, @Darksoft can tell first hand if he likes, people/organizers started asking for a "special" version without/lacking all "Darksoft" identifiers/logo's.
The reason?
People in the tournie scene feel like US (being hacked invalidates its legitimacy) and they wanted to hide it.

Personally I run the Darksoft hacked version A that includes the stability/crash patch taken from Anniversary edition.
The reason?
A is accepted as the tournie version to play, but has that nasty crash bug basically making it unplayable with jerks like me around who exploit it for fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
will not run faster. to be honest you most likely wont even notice any difference at all. i swapped the 10mhz crystal in my MERCs board for a 12mhz one and have playedit a bunch and didnt notice a difference at all.
Okay so the 10mhz games WILL NOT run faster on 12mhz chips. Some games just have less slow down. Just confirmed it right here…so that’s the end of that then…

Thanks everyone!

Some games just have less slow down
Its really something of a philosophical question when stated like that...
"Is the slowdown crucial/integral to the game play?"
On the surface the answer would seem to be NO, its "just less slow down".

Ok so let me ask you this... Have you ever played Metal Slug 2 Turbo hack MVS?
Plays really good right? Way better than the original? Removing that slowdown totally changes pacing/action of the game.
Everything becomes more frantic because bullets also do NOT slowdown.

What's the problem with my example?
How do we know the play testers/designers didn't place the amount of bullets on-screen based on the slowdown present.
If they did anticipate this and balanced the game accordingly, removing that slowdown is very much breaking the original vision/presentation.

When you view the world as black & white you are left with a clear single answer...
Its 1:1 to the original in every single way, or its not PERIOD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back