What's new
Finally got round to looking at my Crisis Zone again, @Franco23444 did you ever identify what the stock IR LED was? I have the actual Namco board here but the only marking on the LED is "9K", looks like TO-46 or TO-18 package, looking at data sheets they seem to be practically the same dimensions and lead pitch (i'm unsure what distinguishes one from the other).
I haven’t unfortunately but I found a similar one but it was dome shaped instead of flat light the original Namco one. Regardless, it still worked the same and was actually a bit brighter. I also found a similar one to the original. Haven’t done my test with that led yet.

Ok picked up a CMOS camera from aliexpress, this one
TfQIdu1.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813575552.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.4b071802eISWUa

pretty impressed with the image quality for what it costs, there is a little joystick built into the cable to control the OSD and it can be switched into black and white only mode.

Since there is little to no details on the LEDs used by NAMCO and I don't own a spectrometer I also picked up two different narrow band IR filters on a best guess basis from what was available, 850nm & 940nm (also knocked a up a case for the camera so the bare PCB isn't floating about on the bench).

yjXRTlg.jpg

No IR filter in use
QxLNGIr.jpg

850nm made little difference
ZZRT3wI.jpg

940nm
AsKXPqF.jpg

Pretty easy to guess the approximate wavelength based on those images.

Not that it really matters to anyone here but it's worth noting that the standard and deluxe crisis zone guns actually use different LED boards and apparently (according to the schematic) one uses a 12V supply for the LED and the other uses 5V.

Last edited:
Ok picked up a CMOS camera from aliexpress, this one
TfQIdu1.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813575552.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.4b071802eISWUa

pretty impressed with the image quality for what it costs, there is a little joystick built into the cable to control the OSD and it can be switched into black and white only mode.

Since there is little to no details on the LEDs used by NAMCO and I don't own a spectrometer I also picked up two different narrow band IR filters on a best guess basis from what was available, 850nm & 940nm (also knocked a up a case for the camera so the bare PCB is floating about on the bench).

yjXRTlg.jpg

No IR filter in use
QxLNGIr.jpg

850nm made little difference
ZZRT3wI.jpg

940nm
AsKXPqF.jpg

Pretty easy to guess the approximate wavelength based on those images.

Not that it really matters to anyone here but it's worth noting that the standard and deluxe crisis zone guns actually use different LED boards and apparently (according to the schematic) one uses a 12V supply for the LED and the other uses 5V.
Very interesting findings dude! I knew about the 2 different designs of the Crisis Zone IR led pcb but I never knew that they used different voltages to power them up. Funny enough, you seem to have a different version of the IR pcb than mine, also, your version is what the Vampire Night and Time Crisis 3 IR gun pcb is based off of, just without the Motor circuitry. Sorry if I have seemed to have abandoned this project, still working on the gun castings. The very good news is that my reversed-engineered IR pcb is fully working! All compatible games detect it and playing them has been a blast, especially on a big LCD screen. :D

Attachments

• 9A9BB54B-FD0C-4BDF-B759-182B11E57287.jpeg
    9A9BB54B-FD0C-4BDF-B759-182B11E57287.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 114
  • F36D2EAC-8CF5-44EB-B32D-A20DF2D8E3B5.png
    F36D2EAC-8CF5-44EB-B32D-A20DF2D8E3B5.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 117
Any updates on the IR gun boards and if they are for sale yet? Still interested in picking up a couple for my vampire night.

I’m still working on them, well the gun castings at least. Life and other projects got in the way but I’m going back to this project :)
Sorry! Same here! what a busy year huh bois? I see one thing I can DEFINITLEY HELP WITH.

I print my own guns and(I have all my fingers still :p) I thought wait I have a real Namco gun how hard can it be? If I make remixes for Glock and H&K ETC... SO idk if we have went this route already :)

Ill need to work out some kinks and make it 3d printable but ill test soon and migrate real arcade hardware and see how it holds up and report back!

Attachments

• side3.PNG
    side3.PNG
    245.2 KB · Views: 100
  • side2.PNG
    side2.PNG
    172.5 KB · Views: 93
  • side1.PNG
    side1.PNG
    549.9 KB · Views: 101
Sorry! Same here what a busy year huh? i see one thing i can DEFINITLEY HELP WITH.

TL:DR I print my own guns and I thought wait I have a real Namco gun how hard can it be if i make remixes for Glock and H&K ETC... SO idk if we have went this route already :)
This is absolutely awesome and perfect! Do you mind if you can share the file so I can try them out?

This is absolutely awesome and perfect! Do you mind if you can share the file so I can try them out?
BRUH as we say in the other hobby that takes up my time "you cant stop the signal" So OF COURSE! you focus on those boards because you are a reverse engineer genius and my crisis zone IR board is bad so im counting on you! uwu

Last edited:
BRUH as we say in the other hobby that takes up my time "you cant stop the signal" So OF COURSE! you focus on those boards because your a reverse engineer genius and my crisis zone IR board is bad so im counting on you! uwu
Thank you so much! If you ever want some high res pictures of the Crisis Zone gun, tell me as I have a brand new old stock gun. :) I’m in the process of remaking the Crisis Zone IR gun pcb, it’s basically the same thing as the tiny board but with the addition of the motor transistors. That’s the tricky part.

Here we go its very rough and not finished but thats the beauty! we can all contribute to this and make it better!
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yac6j-ivDUvyvC30r97S52fJBNK8Y-b1/view?usp=sharing
I have not had time to work out the best print settings so if anyone finds the sweet spot please post your results!
As for your crisis zone gun i just got a motor for mine (the machine i picked up in nov 21') I just this week got a chance to strip it down and organize the wires to see what works and what doesn't.

If you have a way to scan the the crisis zone gun to a mesh that would be the best case with like the creality 3d scanner. if not thats okay because if this works that would be great.

hey guys do any of your Crisis zone machines have a biggggg asss transformer in them that weighs like 25 pounds?

I would be surprised if the monitor specifically needs one. Isolation transformers aren't uncommon in arcade cabs. Most newish Japanese cabs come with them.

Most likely as I do know that the Time Crisis 3 cabs had isolation transformers in them.

Looks like two outputs. 12.5VAC for the audio amp and 100VAC for everything else (monitor, marquee, PSU).

That might be for the CRT monitor as Crisis Zone it’s self doesn’t need it
I had some time to figure out that it is a isolation transformer and just a old Pacific 240/110. Its not needed if im not using the CRT...Which is why we are here :p

Anyways I'm taking a break before it ruin something... because today I got Crisis Zone to play on a 32inch LCD! I had been playing around and ran through one Zone then shut it down. However the gun is jumping everywhere after turning it on again 2 hours later! :< No amount if tinkering can get it to calm down when trying to calibrate. @Franco23444 are those PCBS for sale because its having the same issue with 2 different CCD's. Unless you guys have another idea?

BTW I will post pics/vids because its pretty geek!

I had some time to figure out that it is a isolation transformer just a old pacific 240/110. Its not needed if not CRT...Which is why we are here :p

Anyways I'm taking a break before it ruin something... because today I got Crisis Zone to play on a 32inch LCD! I had been playing around and ran through one Zone then shut it down. However the gun is jumping everywhere after turning it on again 2 hours later! :< No amount if tinkering can get it to calm down when trying to calibrate. @Franco23444 are those PCBS for sale because its having the same issue with 2 different CCD's. Unless you guys have another idea?

BTW I will post pics/vids because its pretty geek!
I have also played Crisis Zone on a 32” LCD tv before and it worked lol! I might just end up selling the PCB only as I can’t get the guns to mold properly. I have tested one of my prototypes and they work. The led is just as bright as the original one.

Tbh, the issues you’re having sound like a power supply issue. I do know that the gun sensor becomes extremely unstable if the 5v isn’t set high enough. The system shutdown may also indicate PSU problems or overheating.

Back