What's new
The MEGA JVS V2 design is finished and submitted for ordering. I did a relatively small order for now so that I can test and make sure it's working before offering to others. If everything works out, I'll get the source code ready for public release and I hope to partner with @Mitsurugi-w to offer these for sale to everyone who is interested.

In this revision I manually routed all of the traces instead of relying on autorouting and I reassigned pins where needed to aid the routing and I got everything routed with only 4 vias needed. I'm not sure if there are limits on vias from the manufacturer, but I figure minimizing them is best.

V2 boards from this order will be blue. I decided to go with blue since all of the module PCBs and the Arduino I use are blue so it will give it a more uniform look just for fun.

PCBWay turned my last order around in under a week, so I may have some news as early as some time next week.

For now I need to update my code to accommodate the reassigned pins or things aren't going to work very well. :thumbsup:

I'm waiting for the final version I'll can bought you! :thumbup:

Hi all this is a great idea.will buy when you are ready. some good projects on here.

Last edited:
I got everything routed with only 4 vias needed. I'm not sure if there are limits on vias from the manufacturer, but I figure minimizing them is best.
I did a quick review of the board saw some simple reroutes that allowed me to remove all vias. PCBWay hadn't reviewed my board yet, so I was able to delete and resubmit. :thumbsup:

Routing traces is kind of like a fun puzzle where no traces are allowed to overlap. Then a challenge on top of that is going for as few vias as possible. :)

Really amazing job! Don't forget to count me in :thumbsup:

What people do in this forum is really awesome and quite unbelievable for a not-so-tech-savvy-guy like me. And all those projects finally make possible having multiple systems working flawlessly in a single cab. So I'll finally have a chance to put an entire game room in my 2 cabs!

I love that :D

Last edited:
@winteriscoming do you plan to keep making revisions after this?
I won't rule out a future revision, but if the V2 boards work fine, then I'll probably call this project finished for now and put it behind me. I'm not sure there are any features I would want to add at this point.
This is a great project and I have been following it for awhile. As it gets ready for production, I do ask perhaps for a quick synopsis of the main features of the Mega JVS to fully understand what it provides for those of us that use JVS cabinets and hardware (Sega Naomi, Triforce, Chihiro, Lindbergh, etc.) I currently have a Type III JVS I/O that I use as well as spare Type I and II boards - what are the key features that the Mega JVS adds that improves on the current I/O boards and perhaps some examples of how the features can be used? I think it was confused with the mini I/O USB project as well that looks to use USB guns/steering wheels with JVS and just want to make sure I understand everything this can do and how it would replace the current I/O boards in terms of flexibility and function. I think there are perhaps uses of this product that I am not fully understanding at this point that would really sell it as a "must-have" item. Thanks.

This is a great project and I have been following it for awhile. As it gets ready for production, I do ask perhaps for a quick synopsis of the main features of the Mega JVS to fully understand what it provides for those of us that use JVS cabinets and hardware (Sega Naomi, Triforce, Chihiro, Lindbergh, etc.) I currently have a Type III JVS I/O that I use as well as spare Type I and II boards - what are the key features that the Mega JVS adds that improves on the current I/O boards and perhaps some examples of how the features can be used? I think it was confused with the mini I/O USB project as well that looks to use USB guns/steering wheels with JVS and just want to make sure I understand everything this can do and how it would replace the current I/O boards in terms of flexibility and function. I think there are perhaps uses of this product that I am not fully understanding at this point that would really sell it as a "must-have" item. Thanks.
For the record, I didn't design it as a "must-have" item and I doubt I would ever go so far as to try to push anyone into purchasing it. I designed it because I had a need that no one else was meeting. If anyone else has the same need and wants this solution, then great. If no one else wants it, that's fine, too. I got what I wanted out of it. :)

My need was to be able to play all driving games with my OR2SP cab's controls without rewiring. From one game to another many controls don't map up, so require wire remapping or some other manual hardware based solution that potentially requires a change with each game you boot.

What I designed with the MEGA JVS is a replacement for the Sega Type 1 I/O that takes the same connectors, so can work as a drop-in replacement in a cabinet that originally had a Type 1. The MEGA JVS has profiles that manage the virtual remapping of inputs so that the physical inputs in a cabinet will be interpreted as different inputs in a given game.

As an example: If I boot up Crazy Taxi High Roller in my OR2SP cab with the stock I/O, the shifter is basically useless and doesn't map up to anything worthwhile. One of the buttons (I think View Change) will put the car into reverse and then you're stuck because no inputs will work to put the car back in drive. On top of that there's a JUMP button in the game that isn't mapped to anything so I wouldn't be able to jump. With the MEGA JVS I can program in a profile for Crazy Taxi High Roller that makes it so that the shifter now works as drive and reverse and the view change button works as the JUMP button. Now I can boot up the game, switch to the CTHR profile on the I/O, and play the game with access all controls in a way that fits the available controls in my cab. The MEGA JVS has a PROFILE button that can be remotely mounted. For now I have it hanging out of my coin door, so when I boot a game, I use that button to change to the appropriate profile for the game and away I go.

So I met my need, but some other benefits came about as a result that include, but are not limited to:
1 - MEGA JVS can replace virtually any other JVS I/O. There is no need to have a Type 2 and Type 3 on hand because the MEGA JVS can present itself as either of these I/Os and games that require a specific I/O are satisfied and work with the MEGA JVS. The same goes for the NAMCO I/O. It makes use of some digital inputs that would be equivalent to player 1 button 10 that are not accessible on Sega Type 1 or 3 (maybe on 2?).
2 - If you make use of the S-JIHP from @Mitsurugi-w for adapting controls such as a gamepad or steering wheel to a Sega I/O, then it would still work with a MEGA JVS because it will accept the inputs from the S-JIHP. (*This hasn't been tested yet, but no reason I can think of for why it wouldn't work.)
3 - MEGA JVS will likely be cheaper than any official I/O available on the secondary market.
4 - It wouldn't be limited to driving games. All analog inputs and digital inputs and outputs found on a Type 1 are mapped up and functional, so any cabinet that's compatible with or can be adapted to Type 1 can potentially take advantage of the MEGA JVS profile features. (This has not been tested yet). Shooting games should also be compatible, but not yet tested.

I don't want to misrepresent @invzim and his Mini USB JVS I/O project, so I invite him to confirm or deny my take:
He's a more experienced PCB designer and has an overall better idea of what he's doing than I do. His project is designed as a complete I/O replacement, with mapping profiles, that allows for the use of gamepads and other USB controllers (potentially steering wheels, USB guns, etc) on JVS games without the need to hack the controls for wiring into an I/O. His board could potentially be infinitely expanded via software to support any commonly available USB controllers. His board can present itself as any JVS I/O and satisfy the requirements for games that require specific I/O features. So if you wanted to boot up a game and play on an Xbox 360 controller, that would likely be an option. If he were to expand functionality so that it accepted cabinet inputs, I think his project would be an entirely superior offering to mine.

As it is I see a distinction between our projects in that MEGA JVS is meant as an in cabinet I/O replacement (though really only for Type 1 I/O cabinets unless you adapt wiring), and the Mini USB JVS I/O is more useful outside of a cabinet. But your thinking shouldn't be limited to that because there's no reason I couldn't buy the Mini USB JVS I/O and sit in my driving cab and play a fighting game with a controller. :thumbsup:

I know perfectly what your custom JVS does, I love it, I need 2 or 3 in my life so all I can say is.....

acb.jpg

Pure genius brother. Been watching this project from the early get go. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

I would like one as well, don't need it right now, but could come in handy at some point ;)

V2 boards are on their way to me from China. :)

This was my 2nd experience with PCBWay and it has been a pretty good experience both times. Of course I can't review the boards at the moment, but my overall interaction with their website has been good.

There was a little bump in the process when they rejected my initial submission, but it was my fault for not paying attention to the distance between the traces and the edge of the PCB. That probably set everything back a day because they didn't review my revised submission until the next day.

I guess my main complaint about the site in this instance is that I didn't get an email notification of the rejection. I just checked the status page pretty frequently to see the update, but wouldn't have known otherwise. On that note, they also don't email you when your design has been approved and they're ready for payment, so if you're wanting the quickest turn-around possible it's up to you to check the status often.

The only email I received during the entire process was tracking info when the boards shipped. I don't see anywhere on the site to be able to opt-in to email notifications.

However, once it's approved and you pay, there's nothing else for you to do but wait for it to be shipped to you.

Overall it's been a pleasant experience with amazing turn-around time from submission to shipment, and very affordable for hobbyists. I don't really have any reason to try another manufacturing option at the moment.

Back