What's new
did anybody succeed in converting a rom-1 or rom-4 board to Sengeki Striker?

I should have noted.. the mapping I had in my post is for
ROM4 <-> ROM2

ROM3 isn't mentioned in the mame driver unfortunately. but based on your mapping it seems it's similar to ROM4
there is also a "ROM-BOARD" (with no number, essentially ROM1 I guess) that seems similar to ROM2.

I would think the ROM labels should give you some idea of which position they map to though.
Here's the best picture of a cyvern cart I could find. the ROM labels match the ROM positions in MAME (for ROM2-BOARD) from what I can see.

Cyvern ROM2: https://i.imgur.com/rpUZcBN.jpg
PuzzLoop ROM2: http://www.jammarcade.net/wiki/images/b/b6/Supernova_puzzloop_PCB.jpg
6532746A-101D-488A-AA8F-7D23B3B69271.jpeg

Received this PuzzLoop cart but It doesnt boot (picture is because there’s nothing now on jammaarcade link) … anything i can try to see whats happen with this cart ?

Start by dumping the socketed EPROMs and make sure they match the checksums in MAME - they hold the CPU code.

You might want to start a new thread for this too since this isn’t about creating a Cyvern conversion.

What would be good cart pcbs to convert to Tel Jan?
I have some spare puzz loops...

What would be good cart pcbs to convert to Tel Jan?
I have some spare puzz loops...

see this chart here
I went through my carts and I do indeed have all 4 ROM board variants in my collection.

this is the mapping between the 4 cart variants as best as I can figure

keneko_rom_xref.gif

* = educated guess based on position on the ROM board and MAME info.
N/A = not available

the TLDR is that Gals Panic S2 and Sengeki Striker can use any board version except for "ROM-2", any other game can use any donor cart.

you need to open up the cart and look at the "ROM-#" to determine which board it is, many games were released on multiple board variants.

Last edited:
Very nice job! I can see that you added a LDO, capactitors and even a level shifter. Am I seeing right? Can you please post more pictures of your small PCB? Would you have some more to sell?

Thanks.

Hi. I'm making a conversion with a ROM-BOARD, and I think this board isn't compatible with 32mbit flash eeprom like 29L3211. I can't see any trace on PIN44 (A20 signal).

Because of this, games like Sengeki Striker and Cyvern can't be made. They use 4MB graphic files, since ROM-BOARD is prepared for 2MB graphic files. Does it is necessary any fix for making A20 signal work?

Attachments

• PXL_20240119_185142883.jpg
    PXL_20240119_185142883.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 36
don't use your eyes, use a multi-meter. Test to see if the Pin 44 is tied to ground, or tied to 5V, if neither, test to see if Pin44 of one chip is tied to Pin 44 of the next.
Neither connected to GND or +5V, nor chained to other roms' A20 signal

Attachments

• PXL_20240119_190326720.jpg
    PXL_20240119_190326720.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 37
you may have to add a wire to chain them together and then identify where A20 should be routed using another board.

it may require some logic adjustment too.

the alternative would be to split the ROMs and program as 16Mb but it's not clear if there's enough ROM space for it.

it may require some logic adjustment too.

the alternative would be to split the ROMs and program as 16Mb but it's not clear if there's enough ROM space for it.
There isn't. The rom sockets you see are the only ones in the photo. That revision of the board hasn't any other below. I suspect nobody has ever made Cyvern/Sengeki Striker with a ROM-BOARD.

Back