What's new
Yeah its the same file, Im still not sure what the correct 2 greens are.
its really hard based on low res google images lol.

Thanks again :)

Edit: I just realised it must have been an earlier version I uploaded before I adjusted the colours for print.

Attachments

• cyvern2.png
    cyvern2.png
    378.8 KB · Views: 225
I just converted a Cyvern and a Sengeki. Cyvern works fine. Sengeki boots through the bios stuff and then shows “Security Error”. It’s a Nova System Rom 4 Board NEP-16.

Has anyone run into this? The jumpers look good per that photo on page 1 but so far I haven’t been able to crack it. Tried Japan and Asia program roms, and I’m using the Japan modbios.

I’m pulling the WE pin high and giving all the flash chips 3.3v. Basically the same gist as the working Cyvern, except I didn't have to move any jumpers at all, so I’m a bit stumped... Only other thing I did was double u3 so I could use a 32mbit chip like the rest, but that worked fine in mame and I don't see why it would matter either.

Last edited:
My source cart was a Korean Gals Panic SU on a rom4 board. Maybe something to do with the embedded PAL code on the custom chip, trying to run a game that was only Asia or Japan? Maybe I’ll find an Asia or japan donor and try that.

What markings are on your pal chips? It does it sound like your tsop chips are the issue is cyvern worked.

What markings are on your pal chips? It does it sound like your tsop chips are the issue is cyvern worked.
There are no pals on the rom4 board, it’s all in an embedded custom chip instead I think. Pics on the first page of this thread here: Cyvern Conversion

Maybe I can use that mapper table to figure out how to turn an S-extra into sengeki, though it’s also a Korea board rom3.

@sergiopolog when you made that cyvern from a rom3 what region did it start as? And what region program roms and bios did it work with?

I don't think the original region is relevant. I've converted a Korean SU to a European S2 by just swapping the program ROMS.

There shouldn't be anything region specific outside of the program ROMS.

Hi guys

I have about 3 of the kaneko super nova and 2 gals panic s

Already read the first to last here

What would i need to make a conversion to Cyvern

Tools
Parts
Etc

Please help ,i found out that this is the shooting game im playing when i was at college and brings memory back of 1 coin run till end

Thanks

There are no pals on the rom4 board, it’s all in an embedded custom chip instead I think. Pics on the first page of this thread here: Cyvern Conversion
Maybe I can use that mapper table to figure out how to turn an S-extra into sengeki, though it’s also a Korea board rom3.

@sergiopolog when you made that cyvern from a rom3 what region did it start as? And what region program roms and bios did it work with?
@ekorz My rom-3-board was originally a Gals Panic S Extra Edition, Japan region. I think there is no other difference between boards than latters have more memory banks to allow additional gfx roms could be installed, but if program code doesn't use them, board is completely equivalent as any other version.

@ekorz maybe post some pictures, the only thing you did differently was put u3 a larger chip so no idea.

Maybe @pacman70 can help.
This. I also use the same eprom model as the ones originally installed (I think I erased them and burn new code into it... :rolleyes: )
Ensure your smd eeproms are properly soldered too, as I need to reflow some of them after first attempt because I got some glitches

I'm not sure what photos would do but I can snap some later. Bad installation of any of the flash would just result in corrupt gfx or sound. But it should still boot!

When I move sengeki program roms over to my other Korea board (rom 3) it also yields the same Security Error (although it's garbled since I didn't replace any gfx roms).

Anyone with a korea rom4 or rom3 want to try putting in the Sengeki program roms? It's 2 chips, both socketed. I would have expected that to boot and play, just with garbled everything. It certainly works the other way around if I swap my Korea S Extra roms onto this SU board.

hm yeah I'm thinking you can't put sengeki on a korean board for some reason. Even in MAME, if you swap the sengeki program roms directly onto something japanese like jjparad2 it boots up fine. If you swap the program roms onto puzzloopk or a few other korea native roms I tried, it's not booting. It doesn't show the Security Error message like on real hardware, but it hangs on black screen. Pretty sure this is gonna be a rom swap on a Japanese board. I wish I knew enough debugger to understand why, but if you're gonna do this yourself I'd suggest a Japanese or Asia cart.

I've also managed to pick up a Japanese PCB so I've taken some photos of the two of them and there are some differences.The korea PCB is missing 3 resistors below the capacitors, and the location of a chip to the right of the capacitors is different. I also find it interesting that the korean bios is labeled "GPS O/UB" while Japan uses "SKNSJ1". the sticker on the bottom has a different number on it as well.

On mine it looks like the two surface mount chips to the left of the unused BGA were replaced on the korean board. not sure if this is a "Fix" that was done or something that's common with korean PCBs.

korea: skns_korea.jpg
Japan: skns_japan.jpg
from recent efforts I believe my sengeki conversion is actually functional, just not on my Korea motherboard.

I will probably attempt some mods to rectify that!

I’ve tried both multi bioses and both versions of sengeki program roms. @sergiopolog which pair are you using? Which motherboard version do you have (based on those photos above)?

if it’s not this region difference I still think it’s a problem with my motherboard. The game does not complete that aggressive video ram check or make it to the other system check log. It just stops and displays the “security error”.

But the issue is just between my sengeki program roms and the motherboard. The cart is otherwise converted fine.

@ekorz sorry but I only tried Cyvern. I made two conversions to Cyvern:
  • 1 from Gals Panic S Japanase using ROM-3-BOARD. This one works fine with its original japanese motherboard as Cyvern conversion I made is from Japanese roms.
  • 1 from Gals Panic S Korean using ROM-2-BOARD. This one needs multi bios installed in its original motherboard because it is originally korean and I used Cyvern japanese roms, too.

Last edited:
Back