What's new
Can someone please point out the games (if any) posted in the OP that can be used with an 8-way stick and up to 6 buttons? No need loading up games in to the NAOMI cabinet that I can't play.

Thank you!
Rythm Tengoku "sort of" can (it's designed to be played with buttons for up, down left and right, rather than a joystick). other than that Prowrestling, MVC2 and Guilty Gear obviously.

for future reference you can see what control type all the different NAOMI games use on my compatibility chart here: NAOMI Net-Boot BIOS and I/O Board Compatibility Chart

Um, I'm simply asking if anyone knew which of the games supported just an 8-way stick and up to 6 buttons. I'm sure there are many who already know this answer. I am not sure what you THINK I am asking people to do to be honest...

I guess @FrizzleFried is just looking for a list of games that work with joystick and don't need any extra hardware or gun or wheel.

I'm not sure if there is such a list somewhere else, but having a look here will give you a good idea of what games would work just fine with joystick.

Much appreciated, Twisted already answered the question mostly. I wasn't looking for "all" games, as I've already tested out the ones available at the French forum... just the ones in the OP that I've not tested yet. I thought I might be able to play Virtual On with a stick + buttons but evidently not.

I thought I might be able to play Virtual On with a stick + buttons but evidently not.
I mean VO does only use "digital" inputs but it's designed for a single player to use 2 8-way trigger sticks, (essentially 2 joysticks and 4 buttons) so you'd need a second pair of hands to play it on a normal 2L12B panel.

Ah, I wasn't aware there was a 2nd flight stick involved... I thought it was one + extra buttons.

Ah, I wasn't aware there was a 2nd flight stick involved... I thought it was one + extra buttons.
yeah, you control it like a tank. and each stick has a trigger and a thumb button with unique functionality.

the right stick and buttons, despite being for player 1 are mapped to the player 2 joystick and buttons.

SPECIAL BIOS BY P1PKIN:
Here is Christmas gift to community: modded Naomi/Naomi2 BIOS with region switching.
sendspace.com/file/cu8334

Use DIPSW 2-3 on filterboard to:
Code: Select all
DSW2 DSW3
OFF OFF Japan
ON OFF USA
OFF ON Export
ON ON Korea
Actually it uses DIPSW 2 + 3 + 4
Tested with Virtua Tennis :
OFF OFF OFF = Japan
ON OFF OFF = USA
OFF ON OFF = Export
ON ON OFF = Korea
OFF OFF ON = Australia
ON ON ON = @
OFF ON ON = ?
ON OFF ON = ?

what region is the @ ?
I've tested with Virtua Tennis, repporting what test mode says. The last 3 settings are not used, the game write "@" or "?". Perhaps some games could use the "@" setting.

its defined in ROM header, something like this - list of up to 8x names (or less), starting from 30h
feel free to hexedit some .bin and put there lets say "CRAZY TAXI IN ALPHA CENTAURI STAR SYSTEM" :D
ct+header.png

Do you know a game that use more than J U E K A ?

I've seen only games that may change behavior depending on 0-2 regions (ie J, U or E) - show or not warning screen, select game language, enable/disable some features, etc.

mentioned above 8x game names in ROM header doesn't change anything "in the game" and not used by game code, its just text string shown by BIOS.

If I remember well, for some Australian games it's written on the title screeen (Australian version, something like that). But no difference ingame.

Perhaps someone has a list of differences between countries for games.

Aside from the language and licensing issues I'd suspect some regions are used for censorship if necessary. Australia tends to get some heavy censorship in terms of violence and I believe Germany gets censored if the game has any Nazi imagery.

So if you're looking for differences other than language I'd take a look as violent or sexual scenes to see if those are different.

Another thing: I wonder if driving games flip the side of the road you drive on depending on the region. for instance USA is English language and left-hand-drive but Australia and UK are English language and right-hand-drive.

censorship - yes. right/left hand drive - haven't seen.

there is also additional hardware support, like VMU interfaces, sometimes they enabled for Japan only. you can find topic with more detailed description about it on AO.

Another thing: I wonder if driving games flip the side of the road you drive on depending on the region. for instance USA is English language and left-hand-drive but Australia and UK are English language and right-hand-drive.
It would be fun to have mirror for driving games in right-hand drive countries, but I've never seen that. UK is inside "EXPORT", as well as Germany, so no difference in this group.

Back