What's new
Reaction score
So I just scored on an Ganryu MVS cart. Boards and label check out legit, but the label is peeling off which I'm thinking off removing with my heat gun then re applying it onto the cart using contact cement. Did my research and could not find another Ganryu cart online that's in a black shell. Can anyone on here confirm that it also released in a black shell variant? If not I'm thinking of just swapping the boards onto a clear blue SNK MVS shell. Would like to double check on here first before doing so.
1000001132.jpg
1000001135.jpg
1000001136.jpg

Could also just be a reshell. Old plastic from the 90s is quite brittle. I often buy cosmetically messed up carts and so have a stack of empties to use as needed. But I try to make it very clear that the cart and replacement labels aren't original.
1708125811287.jpeg

Could also just be a reshell. Old plastic from the 90s is quite brittle. I often buy cosmetically messed up carts and so have a stack of empties to use as needed. But I try to make it very clear that the cart and replacement labels aren't original.
1708125811287.jpeg
That could definitely be the situation with this cart, but I'd like to confirm first so that I don't do a clear blue case swap if it checks out to be a legit black shell variant. BTW that shell swap color you did looks awesome!

I can only recall seeing that cart in clear blue like you mentioned. Be careful with the contact cement, it can sometimes leave what looks like a grease stain if the paper absorbs too much. I’ve had better success using 3M double sided tape, taking my time, and cutting nicely sized pieces of that. I’ve done this to reattach original EPROM labels that have long lost their mojo too.

I can only recall seeing that cart in clear blue like you mentioned. Be careful with the contact cement, it can sometimes leave what looks like a grease stain if the paper absorbs too much. I’ve had better success using 3M double sided tape, taking my time, and cutting nicely sized pieces of that. I’ve done this to reattach original EPROM labels that have long lost their mojo too.
That's what I figured after doing some research on it, was just double checking on here to be 100% sure. Gonna definitely do the case swap with a KOF 99 clear blue shell variant. May look into your suggestion on using some 3M double sided tape. There is a really strong paper thin type that's called banner tape I've used at work which might be perfect for this. Thank you for chiming in with the info and suggestion.

I appreciate the help on this everyone, thank you. OG SNK clear blue case swap it is.

Where did you get the blue case from?

There are also after market ones like the purple I put my Blazing Star into.
Example: https://www.retromodding.com/products/mvs-replacement-cartridge
But be warned, all the after market shells I've found have needed to have the inside posts shaved down a bit or they bend the PCBs. I've tried several different sources with seemingly different molds, but they all suffer from this for some reason. If you just close it up and screw it together the bottom PCB will bend since the two posts behind the little connector slots push up while the rear post and the slot cover push down.

Also, always wanted to try a sticker maker to reattach labels, but never got around to it.
https://www.amazon.com/Xyron-XRN500EN-Create-Sticker-Machine/dp/B000WWGANC
They basically make stickers of whatever you put through them.

Back