What's new

Casselfornia

Student
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently converted a Logitech Wheel to work with the JVS of my Naomi Cab.

I am playing with the idea to use the midi board found in driving games with ffb to work with that wheel.

AFAIK they use different protocols. Also I cannot find a pinout for the 838-14147 midi board.

Has someone ever done this or can someone help me out?

Also planning to get a card reader to work with initial d. I am lost here also. Don't know what to buy, and what I need.

I recently converted a Logitech Wheel to work with the JVS of my Naomi Cab.
I unfortunately can't help you with the rest of it, but could you perhaps elaborate on this? I know a few folks have talked about doing it, but either they don't succeed, or they do succeed and don't care to share their findings. :(

Sure can do. PM me. I took pictures and had a bit of a struggle with the pot values in my pedals. It's really simple tho. You only need to figure out the pinout on the wheel PCB, maybe rewire pots in the pedals and you need common ground and common +5V.

LoganMcCloud send me his old documentation about it but my wheel was slightly different and I had to figure it out myself.

Logitech wheels are dc PWM controller feedback motors.

Sega uses -80VAC servo motor with encoder feedback and electric braking.

would be very hard to convert as the hardware is already so far apart (AC vs DC power)

would need to intercept the midi word bits , read them, translate what they mean, modify to a PWM signal 0-100% duty cycle that match what game wants wheel to do. 0-50% wheel turns left, 50% wheel is still, 50-100% wheel turns right. Feed signal into the Logitech H-bridge.

logitech can work using HAPP DC ffb (Rock the rush, cruise cabinets, etc) But not with Naomi or any Sega systems.

I have got initial D 6/7/8 ffb working on one of my cruise world cabinets using happ ffb.

This was with teknoparrot running game, a arduino controlling a h-bridge that connected to HAPP DC motor. The arduino code is free but can’t be modified (it s machine language) and you need a rotary encoder for steering feedback. Arduino has a USB driver that makes it show up as a generic haptic device.

I now just run official games as the above method was too buggy.

here is some good info on this topic

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-ffb-steering-wheel-mmosffb-in-progress.7769/

Last edited:
Thanks! Thats a ton of helpful information. I guess I'll stick with Teknoparrot then, at least when I want to play something with FFB. Too bad, tho. :/

I hope someday someone with more skills in that direction will start tinkering too make that work.

What’s the benefit of Logitech other than using it on a non racing cabinet.

Find a Sega racing cabinet and ffb will work as intended using original hardware.

Sega ffb effect is way stronger than Logitech as its arcade build quality.

@Casselfornia can you share the details on how your wheel was converted to JVS?
I don’t think it was converted, rather the Logitech potentiometers we’re wired to jvs analogue inputs.
This! (Isnt that called a conversion?) Just rewired ever input to the JVS analogue inputs and buttons. I could share my process though. If anyone is interested I could make a post.

What’s the benefit of Logitech other than using it on a non racing cabinet.

Find a Sega racing cabinet and ffb will work as intended using original hardware.

Sega ffb effect is way stronger than Logitech as its arcade build quality
The benefit is that it works on my standup machine and I didnt have to find parts from a jambo safari or crazy taxi cab.

I know, problem is that I have not enough room for a dedicated driving cab. I agree with the ffb, but its really enough for me. Sometimes when I use my Fanatec Porsche Wheel with full ffb and belt drive I think my wrists will break every moment. :D

Last edited:
@Casselfornia yes please, a post breaking down this conversion would be great. I'm in the same boat, no space for a driving cab. Would love to be able to make a wheel work with the Naomi, with or without ffb.

Keen for a tutorial!

I'll break the process down in the next few days, weeks. Quite a bit going on right now and I am on the PC seldom. Phone just sucks for this. ✌️

For the people still interested I wrote a blogpost. Its not only a tutorial, its an experience! Excuse my french and have fun reading/modding. If the admins wish anybody can cut this down to the bare minimum and repost here to get a quick overview rather than reading my jibberish! :D

https://unusualgametech.blogspot.com

Back