What's new

nam9

Champion
Reaction score
Hei,

Quick request I hope, but could someone who has access to an original Monkey Ball banana joystick please help with just a couple of photos?
I just want to do a visual comparison of the restrictor disc on the underside of the unit.

Here is my Gundam Stick for reference:

IMG_5717.PNG IMG_5716.PNG

MB_Top.jpg MB_Base.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Tagging @VoldoJF @DragonMinded @PlayYing @zero238 @nnap @streetfighterken @MickyMac @XeD & @Mirko from the Banana thread...

I have two original banana joysticks and they both have this restrictor disc:

monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc.jpg

Diameter is 45mm, width at the edge 9mm.

Wow, thanks @nem

Any chance of a picture of the rear as well?

Also, could you triple check a diameter of 45mm? I have 45.5mm noted from @XeD...

Nothing to see at the back, it's just a flat surface. I did take one more pic with the disc in place:

monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc_2.jpg

I broke out the caliper. So basically, the edge is slanted. I'm not sure if that is from use or if it's made like that. I suspect it's from use. On the top it was like 45.3mm and on the bottom 44.2mm.

Last edited:
You see those 2x extra screw points:
1699353387787.png

Was there a strip of metal needed to tightly secure it to the cab?
Without extra strapping here, the panel warps and lifts on the right side of the joystick with use. With the regular 6x screw holes on a typical sega panel only the left side of the stick is held tightly to the cabinet.

Last edited:
Was there a strip of metal needed use these to tightly secure it to the cab?

I guess so, that would make sense. Neither of my panels came with one though. It was originally a conversion kit from Sega, so I'm not surprised if some tech cut corners and just threw it in the trash.

For the record, I've had the other panel in an arcade for 8 years now? It's held up fine, so it's not like it's super essential. You really need to yank on the stick to get the panel to lift even a bit.

@nem Just to be totally clear… no chamfered edge for central recess on the rear?

IMG_5721.jpeg

There was no chamfer on the outer edge, but it had that same inner ring. I just assumed it was from the manufacturing process and not something that has functional significance.

Maybe I'll just grab that pic for you tomorrow.

Last edited:
I had already applied grease on it and did a quick clean with a cotton t-shirt before taking the pics. Hairs everywhere.

Attachments

• monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc_3.jpg
    monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc_3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 38
  • monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc_4.jpg
    monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc_4.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 41
  • monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc_5.jpg
    monkey_ball_joystick_restrictor_disc_5.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 44
Back