What's new

arcadeWC

Professional
Reaction score
I am looking into a setup with a 42" widescreen Wells Gardner monitor (VGA/HD) primarily for a Sega Lindbergh setup. However, I am wondering how the Naomi/Triforce/Chihiro would look on it at VGA resolutions? Does it get stretched badly or will it fill the screen relatively nicely? Or do the black bars appear on the sides? Lindbergh has HD options for most of its games so I assume it should work well with Lindbergh, but just curious how it might work with the other three Sega systems that I have. Since it is an actual arcade monitor; thought it should be decent if not look pretty good. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
This is a 50" screen. It's an arcade monitor but I forget the brand. It looks fine. The yellow stuff on the monitor is old adhesive from when I temporarily removed the black plastic bezel that surround the monitor.

Looks crappy. Just as any SD 4x3 source would look on an HD display. On top of that, Naomi has no provisions for widescreen display. Hope your widescreen display does.

whether 4:3 content gets stretched or black barred is a function of your display, not the source device.

your NAOMI/Chihiro/whatever is sending out a 640x480 signal and has no real say in how your monitor decides to display that information.

Personally I feel that stretching 4:3 content to fill a wide screen display is about one of the worst things you can do to the image quality... it's analogous to going out for a nice dinner and finishing the meal by eating your plate to make sure you're "getting your moneys worth".

As for how the rest of it looks, that varies greatly from display to display and how they handle scaling of 640x480 content, some HD monitors do a fantastic job, others look like a ripe turd.

Back