What's new
Crazy weather in Auckland, hope you’re staying safe, @hatmoose
Thankyou for checking in; the weather is indeed wild here; something like 250mm (10 inches) of rain in one hour. There have been several deaths. Seems very unpredictable, our house is basicly untouched - my buddy 2 mins down the rd was underwater. Spent most of yesterday helping clean up at the local school + community centre + friends places. I think the worst is over, so more cleaning up today.

My good friend Jimmy bravely (stupidly) offered one of his many old Apple PC's as crash test dummy and nothing blew up - so on with getting this working as a CD drive.

Originally BlueSCSI supported HDD emulation, but as of June last year CD drive emulation has also been supported
https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI/discussions/150

CPS3 drive settings from here
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/CPS3#SCSI_CD-ROM_jumper_configuration

Bluescsi takes a lot of the drive setup data from the filename, so super easy to change, format is as follows, max 32 chars
device Identifier = I want this to be a CD drive so use CD
SCSI ID# = CPS3 wants SCSI ID = 1 so use 1
LUN ID# = I have no idea why this is here, maybe in future if they are going to add RAID support later? CD drives don't do RAID and don't have LUNS so 0 is off use 0
_Sector Size = CDROM sector size standard is 2048 bytes, Capcom (mercifully) did not mess with the sector size standard so use _2048
-descriptor = everything after the hyphen gets ignored, use for description, might be useful to know if its the SH2 standard or SH2 custom dump, for me its custom, and because this is an embedded application if I done write it down I will never remember so use -CPS3SH2CUSTOM
.iso = tells the bluescsi that its a CDROM .iso and not a HDD image so use .iso

Putting it all together the filename could be
CD10_2048-CPS3SH2CUSTOM.iso

then we also need to set SCSI termination to on, this is done in hardware on the blueSCSI board, there are TWO termination jumpers.
One looks like it grounds this line, setting TERM to ON
the other looks like it bridges +5v from pin 26 on the SCSI connector, setting TERMPOWER ON
I'm not brave enough to see what happens if only one or the other is set, so set both = ON

Then we need to set parity = ON (1), this is the SCSI default and as far as I can tell there is no way to turn it off on the blueSCSI, so that's easy.

so TL;DR
Format SD card as FAT or exFAT
download iso from here https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps-iii-bios-and-cd-releases.36/
rename to = CD10_2048-CPS3SH2CUSTOM.iso
Set TERM jumper to ON
Set unlabelled jumper (which is TERMPWR) to ON
Done
Hi,

Forgive me for my bad english.
I think I did something wrong in the procedure for sure. I bought 4 Bluescsi from Joe's Computer Museum, including micro SD.
I performed this procedure which I understood by translating:

1- I formatted the SD with File system exFAT and as allocation unit size 2048byte;
2- I renamed the ISO file from "UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4_Unmodified_MakotoFix.iso" to "CD10_2048-CPS3SH2CUSTOM.iso";
3- I wrote the ISO with HDD Raw Copy tool 1.10 on the SD I left the 4 jumpers in the position in which they arrived;
4- Connecting the reader to the Cps3 it gives me the following message, The CD-ROM Drive is not properly connected. Please turn the power off and correct it properly.

I put two photos, one of the SD card and one of the reader with the position of the jumpers, 2 on the upper yellow card and 2 on the lower blue card. I left the 4 jumpers in the position in which they arrived.
From what I understand the Bluescsi doesn't need any programming unlike that of ITEAD, just renaming the ISO before writing it with the prefix "CD10_2048" and what comes after the "-" is not read and does not disturb. Am I doing something wrong with the jumpers?

I thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_180052.jpg
    IMG_20230326_180052.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230326_175846.jpg
    IMG_20230326_175846.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 59
2- I renamed the ISO file from "UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4_Unmodified_MakotoFix.iso" to "CD10_2048-CPS3SH2CUSTOM.iso";
I think the problem may be at this step.

The "Standard SH2" chip is ONLY used on the Darksoft reproduction CPS3 security cart
The "Custom SH2" chip is used in all factory CPS3 security carts

Unless you are 100% sure that you have a reproduction security cart, or have modified your factory cart and removed the old chip you will be using a "SH2 custom" chip.

If that is the case I suggest you download and try this instead https://www.mediafire.com/file/1nnh...or_custom_SH2_V6_Unmodified_MakotoFix.7z/file

I think the problem may be at this step.

The "Standard SH2" chip is ONLY used on the Darksoft reproduction CPS3 security cart
The "Custom SH2" chip is used in all factory CPS3 security carts

Unless you are 100% sure that you have a reproduction security cart, or have modified your factory cart and removed the old chip you will be using a "SH2 custom" chip.

If that is the case I suggest you download and try this instead https://www.mediafire.com/file/1nnh...or_custom_SH2_V6_Unmodified_MakotoFix.7z/file
Thank you for your answer.

I bought the security cart from Save Your Games, the official European Italian distributor of Darksoft (which is a dear friend of mine). The tab inside the security cart says Darksoft instead of the battery. So I'd be sure the "Standard" file is fine. However, it costs me nothing to do the test you suggested, I'll let you know as soon as I've done the test.

Thanks again

Thank you for your answer.

I bought the security cart from Save Your Games, the official European Italian distributor of Darksoft (which is a dear friend of mine). The tab inside the security cart says Darksoft instead of the battery. So I'd be sure the "Standard" file is fine. However, it costs me nothing to do the test you suggested, I'll let you know as soon as I've done the test.

Thanks again
OK, so we are 100% sure that its a "SH2 standard" then - sweet!

Other possibility that I can think of is the SD card format
Lots of detail here https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI/wiki/SD-Cards
But the TL;DR is that some SD cards need to be prepped with the SD card formatter utility before preped as exFAT.

On a side note, I've never once managed to prepare a working exFAT SD card on my Mac, always needs to be formatted for exFAT on windows - which is weird because the windows disk manager utility is absolutely crap, but in this one instance it works for me.

OK, so we are 100% sure that its a "SH2 standard" then - sweet!

Other possibility that I can think of is the SD card format
Lots of detail here https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI/wiki/SD-Cards
But the TL;DR is that some SD cards need to be prepped with the SD card formatter utility before preped as exFAT.

On a side note, I've never once managed to prepare a working exFAT SD card on my Mac, always needs to be formatted for exFAT on windows - which is weird because the windows disk manager utility is absolutely crap, but in this one instance it works for me.
Thank you again for your time and professionalism!

I try to format my SD with the recommended program "OS Formatter utility". I formatted with Windows 10 for the tests I did.

@hatmoose I formatted with the recommended program "SD Card Formatter".
There are two formatting options (Quick format and Overwrite format) with the possibility to also write "Volume label".
I've tried all four options:

1- Quick format without Volume label;
2- Quick format with Volume label "exFat";
3- Overwrite format without Volume label;
4- Overwrite format with Volume label "exFat".

Obviously for each option I installed the ISO on the SD and cat the test on the Cps3. Unfortunately it still gives me the usual error when it is turned on: "The CD-ROM Drive is not properly connected. Please turn the power off and correct it properly".
Not being very sure about this program, that after formatting, if I go to the properties it says: "File System: FAT32".

1680427864521.png

So I decided to try another program to format: "AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.15.0".
From the properties here I believe I'm sure I've done an exFAT.

1680428326406.png

But unfortunately by installing the ISO and carrying out the test, the response of the Cps3 does not change ;(

There are various sizes you can assign:

1680428662209.png

I tested the default 32KB and 2KB. But inexorably, the test was unsuccessful :dead:

Wow, this must be unbelievably frustrating, both Joes Computer Museum and Save Your Games are reputable suppliers and as far as I can tell you are doing everything right;

I'm going to dig out some CPS3 stuff and run some tests to see if I can replicate that error message.

After trying the card for the 1st time in the BlueSCSI, put the SD in a computer and look for the log file.

No log file means ZuluSCSI (or BlueSCSI) can't read / write your SD card. Then indeed card format or brand is in question.

If there IS a log file, the BlueSCSI can read / write to the SD Card. You either have an image or configuration issue (or other HW issue preventing the firmware from hitting this step).

Presume the log file exists, it's contents should help further determine the issue(s).

Wow, this must be unbelievably frustrating, both Joes Computer Museum and Save Your Games are reputable suppliers and as far as I can tell you are doing everything right;

I'm going to dig out some CPS3 stuff and run some tests to see if I can replicate that error message.

I own 5 cps3, I can tell you that I also cross-checked. The cart works perfectly with the simms I have on it. If I put a scsi of ITAED. But I'm perfectly certain that Joe's scsi are also perfectly functional. Surely I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure out what it is... Thanks again for your time

After trying the card for the 1st time in the BlueSCSI, put the SD in a computer and look for the log file.

No log file means ZuluSCSI (or BlueSCSI) can't read / write your SD card. Then indeed card format or brand is in question.

If there IS a log file, the BlueSCSI can read / write to the SD Card. You either have an image or configuration issue (or other HW issue preventing the firmware from hitting this step).

Presume the log file exists, it's contents should help further determine the issue(s).
Thank you for your feedback
In the next few days I will try to elaborate.

@hatmoose @Mitsurugi-w

Hi guys,

I contacted Joe for the BlueSCSI.
He's saying if the blue light starts blinking 5 times there's an issue with the SD or the image.
I'm waiting his answer, I also tried a 16gb Sandisk SD card, but didn't work.

Am I formatting the SD wrong?
Format: exFAT 23KB

@hatmoose @Mitsurugi-w

Hi guys,

I contacted Joe for the BlueSCSI.
He's saying if the blue light starts blinking 5 times there's an issue with the SD or the image.
I'm waiting his answer, I also tried a 16gb Sandisk SD card, but didn't work.

Am I formatting the SD wrong?
Format: exFAT 23KB
Power up the bluescsi one time, with the card in it. Then remove and put the SD card into a computer. Then:

If the log file exists, the SD is formatted right and the Bluescsi can read/write. Use the log content to further troubleshoot

No log file means the SD is incompatible or formatted wrong. Try a new card or different computer doing the format, then rinse and repeat this process.

Finally I understood the issue. I was used to the old SD to SCSI method that I burnt the SD for the BLUESCSI too, instead of simply putting the iso inside.
Now everything's working correctly.
Thanks to everyone for giving your time to help me.

Finally I understood the issue. I was used to the old SD to SCSI method that I burnt the SD for the BLUESCSI too, instead of simply putting the iso inside.
Now everything's working correctly.
Thanks to everyone for giving your time to help me.
This is such good news! Really pleased it’s working and another CPS3 is back in action. That opening cinematic for SF3 - goosebumps every time 25 years later

I got this going on the BlueSCSI V2, same basic set up. I will post more later. I bought 10 of the blue scsi 2 from JLC for 12 dollars a piece shipped, headers we had in the shop but figure another 3-4 then a Pico Pi and SD card. All in about 25 or less.

Back