What's new
You are spot on the gundam ones have way more movement in them. I've checked a few types here:

Original monkey ball restrictor. 45mm diameter.
1000026240.jpg

1000026251.jpg

Gundam:
1000026242.jpg

Both types the same 40mm restrictor disc:
1000026250.jpg

1000026249.jpg

Also the connector from the gundam sticks is different due to a ground cable and the 2x trigger buttons.

Original:

1000026248.jpg

Gundam:
1000026245.jpg

PS I'm looking for 5x repro bananas too

Any idea what's going on here?

1700001423886.png

Is that line a machine feature, and does it seem to do anything?

Another thing I noticed from the pictures is the monkey ball og stick has two 5k pots whereas the gundam sticks all have 1k pots. Are these even compatible at all?

Monkeyball:
1000026339.jpg

Gundam:
1000026341.jpg

Another thing I noticed from the pictures is the monkey ball og stick has two 5k pots whereas the gundam sticks all have 1k pots
this was discussed in the other thread.
if you're interested I posted the specs for the MB pot here:

Found the Datasheet for Monkey Ball

Matsushita
RA25Y 20FB5K
https://www.tocos-j.co.jp/tocos-j-wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/RA25_Series.pdf
RA = Wire Wound
25 = 25mm diameter
Y = Temp range between -10 and 100 Deg C
blank = Panel Mount Type
20 = 20mm shaft length
F = Flat shaft
B = Linear
5K = 5K Ohms

Are these even compatible at all?
given that the pot is setup as a voltage divider the 5K vs 1K thing shouldn't matter. in terms of the output voltage.

the Monkey ball panels have an amp board though and there seem to be some resistors in place to help remove dead-zones this circuit would need to be adjusted to make a different value pot work with that circuit.

What are others doing to retrofit the gundam sticks: replacing the 1k pots with 5k or adjusting the amp board?

I think most people are using the 1k pots with no amp. The min and max are the same (especially after calibration) the only difference is the curve to get there.

and the restrictor (sega part number 105-5442)

I asked STS / Sega Amusements International about this just recently, and they had no clue about it.

Sanwa also came up short. They only stock the 40mm disc (part number JLK-P-6).

Where'd you get yours? Arcade Art Shop?

Yes I googled around sega for a 5k pot and found the pot on arcade art shop. Then I searched monkey ball items there and found the restrictors. They have everything for monkey ball except the banana and the sticks.

Update.

So, @MickyMac brought it to my attention that Arcade Art Shop did in fact have a small amount of NOS Monkey Ball restrictor discs available for purchase.
I contacted Olly there (perhaps also a member here?) to see what the deal there was and if any more stock is available.
Answer is that he is expecting another 30pcs to arrive in December. (I have asked to reserve all 30 at present).

So, I currently see 3 options...
  • Plan to repo regardless, everyone decided if they want that or NOS
  • Cancel repo plans and leave everyone to order from AAS
  • Sort out some sort of group buy
After speaking with @plasticfactory he has offered to receive stock in the case of a group buy, therefore have an og part in hand for repo'ing where necessary and fulfil orders to the US...

I would like to avoid this becoming overly complicated, so I will just be open, offer this as a solution and ask for feedback here.

Some additional thoughts:
1x restrictor disc is £15, plus £12 or £26 tracked airmail to the US (depends if I add the Round Cover, or a different item to the basket...).
AAS actually have several Monkey Ball joystick parts in stock that may also be of interest to buyers?

Non-US buyers... (Myself included)
Not forgotten - sure we can split and handle those as well.

So. Thoughts on how to proceed? Please let me know.

I can handle Australian orders if there’s enough interest and just split the shipping.

Is it safe to assume the nos gates from the monkey ball stick is interchangeable with the Gundam stick?

If so, I'm definitely still down for 2 like originally planned.

Back