What's new
Hi,

I would like to know if anyone tried and successfully made the X68k core working on a 15Khz display?
For some other solutions out there that are interfacing with mister they managed to do it using some overriding parameters for the platform.

For example, one user used the following parameters for this core:

[X68000]
vga_scaler=1
video_mode=320,16,32,56,256,4,3,19,6630
vsync_adjust=2
Version 320x256

I'm not expecting these parameters to work on the solution using irken's board as it seems to leverage the vga scaling output which is not used in irken's case (this is my guess).

Another user used the following parameters for this core (with another interfacing solution):

[X68000]
direct_video=0
vga_scaler=1
vsync_adjust=0
vscale_mode=1
video_mode=512,32,48,64,224,13,3,23,10330

But there should be some very close parameters (I'll test some different configurations during the week-end) that should work and allow to work.
As a test case, I'm just trying to play cho ren sha 68k on my astro city using the mister and irken's board.

thanks in advance.
Also am having trouble with it. Tried to run it on a 31khz screen on a NUC but the mister would always output 34khz which is out of spec for my monitor.

Has anyone had issues with using the jamma expander on an MS8-26A? I have two 15khz cabs, one toei and one ms8. It's running bang on 5v but doesn't work on the ms8.

I've been playing it on a MS8-25 and it's worked perfectly the entire time. Hope it can get sorted out!

Hi,

I was fed up with the lack of available usb ports as the mister often requires core updates and I needed a wifi dongle for remote control (ethernet isn't an option)

So it ended like this :

IMG-0068.jpg

IMG-0067.jpg

I don't know how long this has going on, but I've picked up on some weird video/signal interference when using the JAMMA Expander... I tried reproducing this on real hardware (CPS2) and didn't have the issue, and none of my other boards seem to have this problem. However I was able to reproduce the problem on the Mistercade as well, so... is it something related to the DE-10? The Mistercade and the JAMMA Expander each have their own DE-10 board, so I don't think it's necessarily a defect in the DE-10. Photos follow.

It does seem to come and go, sometimes, and it's most noticeable when the MiSTer menu is on screen.

Attachments

• mister_01.jpg
    mister_01.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 95
  • mister_02.jpg
    mister_02.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 97
  • mister_03.jpg
    mister_03.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 97
Hey @kazuo - I had this problem when my 12V rail on the mistercade wasn't strong enough. What is your 12V rail when running through the mistercade measure at?

Matt

I don't know how long this has going on, but I've picked up on some weird video/signal interference when using the JAMMA Expander... I tried reproducing this on real hardware (CPS2) and didn't have the issue, and none of my other boards seem to have this problem. However I was able to reproduce the problem on the Mistercade as well, so... is it something related to the DE-10? The Mistercade and the JAMMA Expander each have their own DE-10 board, so I don't think it's necessarily a defect in the DE-10. Photos follow.

It does seem to come and go, sometimes, and it's most noticeable when the MiSTer menu is on screen.
Hope to be relevant :
View: https://youtu.be/keAaZYIWuHc

@kazuo I think it's something with the video/sync timing on the mister boot menu - I see some noise/lines on the top of my screen on the aero with ms8, but not in games, so it has to be the mister core that does it. I'll take a look at it on the scope once my bench is clean :)

Thanks all! I'll look into this a little more today and report back on my findings. If it's helpful, the monitor I am using is an MS8-25.

I do see this during gameplay running various cores, and it's more noticeable in some than others. For example, Hyper SF2 or X-Men vs Street Fighter, where it tends to be much lighter, but still there, versus Alien Syndrome, which is is pretty bad, I can see it all over the screen.

EDIT: The JAMMA Expander's display is reporting 12.10-12.14 (it goes up and down periodically), and I measured about 12.17-12.19 at the JAMMA edge after holding the probes in place over a few minutes. I'm also on the latest firmware (2021-12-22) if it's relevant.

Last edited:
I'm having an issue with phantom inputs on a blast city.

Plugged in for the first time in a little while, and my controls weren't working. Looking at the inputs on the oled, it was showing random presses all over the place without me doing anything. Tried the expander on 2 other cabs, no issues with controls. Tried 2 other boards on the blast, no issues with controls. Eventually I tried again and the controls are working, but I get an intermittent phantom input from coin 1 every couple seconds. I can't map any controls because of this issue.

I am on the latest firmware for the jamma expander. Voltage around 5.02. using in keyboard mode.

Last edited:

Plugged in for the first time in a little while, and my controls weren't working. Looking at the inputs on the oled, it was showing random presses all over the place without me doing anything. Tried the expander on 2 other cabs, no issues with controls. Tried 2 other boards on the blast, no issues with controls. Effectually I tried again and the controls are working, but I get an intermittent phantom input from coin 1 every couple seconds. I can't map any controls because of this issue.

I am on the latest firmware for the jamma expander. Voltage around 5.02. using in keyboard mode.
Odd, I don't have any personal experience with blast cabinets, but looking at https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_Wiring_Guide try to disconnect CN4 and CN12 on the cabinet I/O board to see if it makes a difference,

Plugged in for the first time in a little while, and my controls weren't working. Looking at the inputs on the oled, it was showing random presses all over the place without me doing anything. Tried the expander on 2 other cabs, no issues with controls. Tried 2 other boards on the blast, no issues with controls. Eventually I tried again and the controls are working, but I get an intermittent phantom input from coin 1 every couple seconds. I can't map any controls because of this issue.

This is the exact same behaviour I have on one of my egret 2s. I don’t get the coin 1 presses on other boards as well :/ and not seeing anything wrong with the wires.

Back