What's new

HornheaDD

Professional
Reaction score
Just picked up a chewlix from a local op/buddy and I know it works, he was running a PS4 in it earlier. I got it set up in my office and wanted to just test out everything after the move/set up and I cant seem to get a JAMMA board to work.

I know what you're gonna say - Chews are CHAMMA. Understood, I have an "elf" converter I got from JNX and it didn't seem to help. I plugged in an IGS PGM as it's easily sourced in case something blew up. The monitor does turn on and displays some kind of text in what I assume to be Chinese (sorry if I am incorrect, I honestly do not know)- and I can only assume it's telling me "Hey, I got no video dude, get your head out of your ass."

I'm likely missing something simple, but I'm not sure. This is the first cab of this kind I've ever had. It does have a brooks board in it, which was unplugged from the harness, naturally. Not sure where to go from here.

Update, I plugged a PC into one of the HDMI cables and got video. Monitor looks nice, upgraded to a 1080p monitor evidently. Nice!

Though I'm not getting any sound, and of course controls don't work. Its after midnight here, Im headin to bed!

You can only get sound through the "JAMMA" harness I think. HDMI isn't going to work for audio on these.

They do not support anything below 31K, so for 15K (like the PGM you tried) you will need some sort of scaler, maybe a GBS-Control if you're cost-conscious. Should be good enough for this use case.

If you want to use a PC get a JVSPAC or figure out the Brook, it should work with a PC I'd think?

You're correct, I got the PC working w the brook. The cab was set up to be linked or something so the audio and USB cables were routed to a panel on the back of the cab. Pulled them out, plugged into the PC and they work. Sound did work through a small amp on the cab, but it's bad and buzzy. I think I narrowed it down to a bad audio cable that I'm gonna replace this afternoon.

Bummer about the JAMMA thing. I've got a Primal Rage board I'd like to use on it.

Tried the new audio cable, and still have the buzz. Even tried a different amp I had from a retropie project. Looks like I may need to get a ground loop isolator. That'll be the next project.

So, for JAMMA games like the PGM, or my Primal Rage board, what exactly would I need to get? I looked up the GBS-Control but it went to a Github, so Im not sure what I'd need to get to make that work.

Bummer! my only other cab is a Neo25 candy, and I dont want to put anything else but the 2 slot I have in there.

Buzz is probably a ground loop. You could try moving some of the audio wires away from power lines (but this might be hard depending on your setup). Ground loop isolator should fix it.

PGM, Primal Rage, literally anything JAMMA is going to be 15K 99% of the time. You need some way to scale it to 31K/480p or beyond. GBS-Control can do this, you can either connect to the DE-15 connector on the JAMMA harness somewhere (follow the main harness up to the corner of the cab where it starts to split up toward the CP/Display and down toward the PSU etc.) and you should find one. If not, go straight to the display and just bypass the JAMMA wiring entirely.

I know there is drama with one of the larger producers of GBS-C, so I won't link directly, but you can find plenty of options on Aliexpress or ebay. Might even be on Amazon (I didn't check). If you're happy with 31K I'd suggest zim/Irken Labs' "Retro Scaler A1", but it looks like zim temporarily closed the shop over a dispute with FedEx. :(

Of COURSE @invzim has a solution to my problem lol

Curious, since the store is down I cant check - what do the JAMMAfier and the RetroScaler A1 normally cost?

Of COURSE @invzim has a solution to my problem lol

Curious, since the store is down I cant check - what do the JAMMAfier and the RetroScaler A1 normally cost?
The A1 is 2000 NOK. A Jammafier will unfortunately not help you until your cab is setup for JVS..

I looked up the GBS-Control but it went to a Github, so Im not sure what I'd need to get to make that work.

If it's a "real" chewlix, the harness will have what's needed to connect the video on GBS-8220 you need. It will also have the 5 Volt connector on the harness required to power it up.

If it's a "real" chewlix, the harness will have what's needed to connect the video on GBS-8220 you need. It will also have the 5 Volt connector on the harness required to power it up.
Hm I did see that in searching for GBS-C, and - pardon me for sounding ignorant here - how would I get the JAMMA board connected to that PCB?

I guess the same question goes for Zim's product. I thought the JAMMAfier would be what is needed to connect the PCB to the cab. I apologize for sounding so ignorant but in truth, when it comes to 'newer' cabs like this, I'm not sure what needs done.

I know the cab currently has a brooks board connected to it. The brooks board connects to a small JAMMA edge (one player only, the 2nd player is not populated), but there is also another small board connected to the brooks board. (see image - the green board). Currently this is how the PC I have connected to it works, except for the sound, obviously.

Ideally, my preferred setup would be the ability to connect a PC as I currently do (or a MiSTer, more importantly), as well as drop a JAMMA board in there if desired. I know with the PC the PGM is emulated and all, but Primal Rage is not emulated properly, that's why I keep bringing it up lol.

As far as telling if it's a 'real' chewlix, Im not certain as how to tell. The marquee does read "Viewlix L" on it, lol but the guy I got it from did say that the ones he had were all clones. Is there a knock off of the chewlix as well?

Attachments

• brook.jpg
    brook.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 85
That jamma edge you have connected in the brooks is to easily connect the joystick and buttons of a jamma cab to the brook input.

Normally, these buttons and joystick are simply connected through JAMMA (that's Japanese Amusement Machine Manufacturer Association ..hey you said you were a newbie! :D ) which connects to the JAMMA BOARD to provided inputs and outputs to the board.

jamma_pinout.png

The jamma board outputs Video RED,GREEN,BLUE,SYNC and GROUND.
You need to tie these 5 outputs to the 5/6 CGA/EGA input pins below, and the VGA OUT to your LCD.
GBS-8200-Manual-0001-GSB-8200-GBS-82220-Board-Layout-and-Diagram.jpg

Are you more confused or did this help at all ? :)

lol thanks man. While I'm not a professional I am familiar with JAMMA cabs and how they operate (for the most part!) Im a newb to these newfangled HD monitor type cabs lol. But I totally appreciate the breakdown, that actually did help - I think lol

OK, so basically, I'd plug the JAMMA board into my harness as usual, but then I'd have to bridge the video lines from the harness to these pins for video. But controls should operate fundamentally the same way. Am I on the right track?

What if I'd prefer the HDMI route? Im assuming theres a solution like this but for HDMI.

I use a GBS-C in my chewlix in combination with a minigun supergun for my PCBs (15khz and 31khz).

I used to use my OSSC in it but prefered my GBS-C. OSSC and A1 scaler are super good options of course!

My 2 player CP's buttons and stick are connected to 2 brook UFB for all my USB needs (PS4, switch, mister, Taito type X4, etc)

I also connected the minigun supergun buttons inputs to the brooks UFB's passthrough connectors.

As you can see, i dont use the stock cheap jamma harness.

This is the most versatile setup since i can run anything!

let me know if you have questions

I use a GBS-C in my chewlix in combination with a minigun supergun for my PCBs (15khz and 31khz).

I used to use my OSSC in it but prefered my GBS-C. OSSC and A1 scaler are super good options of course!

My 2 player CP's buttons and stick are connected to 2 brook UFB for all my USB needs (PS4, switch, mister, Taito type X4, etc)

I also connected the minigun supergun buttons inputs to the brooks UFB's passthrough connectors.

As you can see, i dont use the stock cheap jamma harness.

This is the most versatile setup since i can run anything!

let me know if you have questions
Actually - if it is not to much trouble, would it be possible to get a pic or pics of your setup? Not the cab itself, but how you have your JAMMA board set up. Only if its not too much trouble.

Got a ground loop isolator installed, (or rather 'plugged in') and the buzzing is almost non existent. I can hear it, but its very slight. The power supply makes a very similar hum, so I'm thinking maybe that's the actual cause of the issue. Regardless, for now if a game boots up (tried a mister, and a mame pc) its like it's not even there.

Good stuff.

@HornheaDD good progress there. I have a type of Chewlix and it also has a hum I can’t get rid of, so I’ll try that isolator. Would you be better off just running the Mister in that cab?

I havent been able to get back to update this, but I think I identified the actual culprit.

Dirty power.

Either the power supply is having an issue, or the barrel plug from the cab is the issue. I have the MiSTer in it, with the MiSTer powered normally (externally) and the sound amp plugged into another little power brick I had from another thing (guitar pedal or something) and other than the power supply buzz, I have ZERO speaker buzz, and I don't even have the isolator in use at this point. So I suppose I may need to replace the power supply at some point, but for right now its working OK.

The MiSTer works *great* in it, but I have a one player CP with only 6 buttons and start, so I'm still having to use a small keyboard to coin up, etc. But otherwise, its working great. I'm about to try a PC in there (laptop) to see if MAME will run Killer Instinct 1 and 2. Im picking up a 2P control panel tomorrow with 8 buttons per side, but I will need to pick up another stick and 10 or so more buttons.

When I get the rest of the cab set up I'll look into replacing the PSU.

(I need another brooks board - I didnt know they were expensive :( so player two can have some fun. This is my first experience with brooks boards and everything. A friend of mine kinda explained it to me that I need to stop thinking in "JAMMA cab" terms, and moreso "TV with speakers and keyboard controls" terms. I'll end up picking up a GBS-C and whatnot for my JAMMA boards down the line, but now I want to see if I can get my PC up for KI, as well as maybe Street Fighter IV or V.

Back