What's new

mthngn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I have a pcb of Killer Instinct known for cpu issues that heats up fast. There is already a heatsink on it. But a lot of people put a noctua type fan. I wonder if the noctua should be "attached" to the heatsink or on the contrary you have to respect a certain distance
What's your opinion ?

Regards

any fan is more efficient at a slight distance because the body of the motor in the center obviously has no airflow.
this means you will only cool the outer edges of the heatsink and still have a hotspot in the center because of a lack of airflow.

any fan is more efficient at a slight distance because the body of the motor in the center obviously has no airflow.
this means you will only cool the outer edges of the heatsink and still have a hotspot in the center because of a lack of airflow.

Thank you for your answer.
Concretely, what distance do you recommend for a Noctua 60mm fan from the heatsink?

anything over a cm should fix the issue
or you could offset the fan to the side slightly so the blades pass over the center of the heatsink

What I did was change the aluminum heatsink for a copper one and install a 30mm fan, it looks great and it doesn't even get hot

Attachments

• IMG-20220103-WA0046.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0046.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG-20220103-WA0047.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0047.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 121
how is the original held on, tape or epoxy?

the original was taped????
or the new one.

that wasnt my question,
i was asking how the factory heatsink was held on.

Back