What's new

c1v1ta

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a CRT and would like to use it for a dedicated light gun multicade. Right now I’m thinking of using an RGB PI (OS4, ideally, so I can get more of the later 3D titles) with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. I also have a GunCon 2 already, with output to USB and composite video. The CRT itself only has composite video input. Am I thinking about this correctly? Anything else to consider here, or might there be a better way?

Thanks

It might not be that simple as you need an interface between the Pi and the gun?

I think your best options would be:

Mister FPGA with CRT - Running mostly console cores, using the Guncon or original console guns (NES Zapper etc)
PC build with LCD - Running various emulators, using a Sinden / Gun4IR / Aimtrak

Right, good question. The GunCon has two cables that come out: RCA video and USB. The USB can plug into the Pi, and I assume the Composite goes into the TV.

...Then where does the Pi composite go?

If you're curious: There's a guy who used a 6 in 1 switcher for JAMMA gun games. Pretty cool project:
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/multi-light-gun-game-cabinet-log.467638/

Del
That's mine, and it's actually 8 :)

And now I'm actually trying to turn that into a lightgun emulation station. I have a USB2GUN working pretty decently right now but still working through a few issues before I decided to go full on with it. I had a MAME setup on my KI2 cabinet and I'm using that PC to test it all out to make sure I can do what I want to do. I am just running into some small issues with each emulator.

MAME - I can't get offscreen reload to work. Everything else works fine. I haven't really looked at this in a while.

Model 2 - I have this working fine, however my monitor is standard and those games are medium res, so while the polygons look fine on it, the text is unreadable and trying to figure out if it's possible to fix that or not.

Windows games (like Friction) - I got it working with the original DLL but the hacked one that works with DemulShooter doesn't work for me - the game simply doesn't load after I double click it.

If I can get MAME offscreen reload to work, then I'll build another PC to put in there and then sell off a lot of my boards. It is just easier to emulate than worry about boards failing. My Lethal Enforcers sound went out already so I can't even play it anymore. But there are some games I'll keep that I can't emulate, like Target Terror Gold and Locked N' Loaded.

If you open mame.ini then add or edit the parameter:

offscreen_reload 1

But some gun games that don't reload off screen don't like this so you may have to creat folders/ini files for specific games.

Congrats on the usb2gun they are like gold dust.
If you have time could you see if it work with groovymame with emudriver/vmmaker? Would love to know if usb2gun still works with the different screen resolutions of each game. Do you have to keep recalibrating it?

If you open mame.ini then add or edit the parameter:

offscreen_reload 1

But some gun games that don't reload off screen don't like this so you may have to creat folders/ini files for specific games.

Congrats on the usb2gun they are like gold dust.
If you have time could you see if it work with groovymame with emudriver/vmmaker? Would love to know if usb2gun still works with the different screen resolutions of each game. Do you have to keep recalibrating it?
Oh I know about the setting in mame.ini. It's doing nothing. I've messed with so many settings in there and nothing works for offscreen reload. It's why I haven't messed with it in a while because it's annoying.

And I am using it with groovymame/crtemudrivers on a 320x240 resolution monitor. My Windows desktop is running in 320x240 as well and I calibrated it in Windows at that resolution. I haven't had to recalibrate anything with the games I've tested out. I've tested out probably 7-8 games in MAME too.

I use the Guncon2 in combination with the RGBPi in my cab, works pretty well. I assume it works just as well on a CRT TV.

I use the Guncon2 in combination with the RGBPi in my cab, works pretty well. I assume it works just as well on a CRT TV.
Awesome! What does your hardware setup look like? And how were you able to get everything going from a software perspective? Was it just plug-n-play? Curious about games too. Are you going MAME, console, or PCB?

RGBPi, it's basically plug and play, only had to make a small rca adapter to hook up sync and that's it. There's a lightgun pack (with tested games) for the RGBPi.

RGBPi, it's basically plug and play, only had to make a small rca adapter to hook up sync and that's it. There's a lightgun pack (with tested games) for the RGBPi.
damn, that's awesome! thanks for the info. can i ask if you're on OS2 or OS4? Curious if they have any 3D games in the pack (HOTD1-3, Time crisis 1-3, etc)

OS4, as OS2 doesn't have lightgun support. No 3D games yet other than Time Crisis afaik, but I might not be at the latest pack currently.

Back