What's new
one issue I see with this board this is that it's a straight through connector and a whole lot of Mahjong games already have a right-angle adapter for the Mahjong edge. this include those games on Jaleco Mega System 32, Sega ST-V, Aleck 64, SSV and other systems
Yeah this is a little problematic, but hard to avoid. I dont think making this adapter non-straight would help things either. This is one benefit of the harness-like solutions to be fair.

Ive tried to alleviate this by making the adapter footprint somewhat small. Here is the v1 attached to a Psikyo G-Taste adapter to show the size.

… maybe i could make it smaller…

26FBC71A-5718-49C0-8237-0D425A68A19D.jpeg

Of course… if you also want to record things then uhhhhh

9746E110-E5FD-4673-885E-46453A74C389.jpeg

Comedy answer: Fit it on a jamma extension cable with one-to-one wiring :|

Comedy answer: Fit it on a jamma extension cable with one-to-one wiring :|
Actually… maybe not even a comedy answer. Fitting it to a fully wired jamma extension would probably work real well and alleviate the issue completely

Grabbed a second cheap panel. This one is wired with keys to p1 controls like naomi (and my adapter) and has com as top row of kick harness, which is a bit unusual sonce that typically has a pin dedicated to ground, but i guess this works too.
Should be quite compatible with my design though (just use external jst header and connect to kick harness for com)

38D43C4A-5FB3-4419-81C3-EA470C52C240.jpeg

FB999514-D530-458E-A06C-6A1EA7DFAF71.jpeg

V2 is done printing and is being shipped from China now

Check all modern MJ PCBs before hooking the sound up, the ones that *require* a genuine spk- pin can experience catastrophic failure if common ground is used. Effects range from 'sounding weak and running hot' to 'turning the PCB brown from heat' to 'amp got red hot and snapped in the middle'. Most recently I found one with a moon crater in the top of an audio amp/mixer custom.

Check all modern MJ PCBs before hooking the sound up, the ones that *require* a genuine spk- pin can experience catastrophic failure if common ground is used. Effects range from 'sounding weak and running hot' to 'turning the PCB brown from heat' to 'amp got red hot and snapped in the middle'. Most recently I found one with a moon crater in the top of an audio amp/mixer custom.
My thinking is that its best to just use spk- as long as that work, and have the common gnd option available as fallback.

Right now I’m mainly playing the hot gimmick games which I know need spk-

Realized I hadnt even tried the header connections on the adapter (since I prefer having it go through then panel) so crimped a cable. Works fine.
1F93EA71-AAB0-41E8-8BDA-F6972D411EAF.jpeg

Stumbled on to some decent looking kit and the price isn't too bad looking at the quality. Only thing holding me back from purchasing it is that the control panel looks a bit flimsy but I guess it would get the job done if you would play with just SuperGun. Wonder was this some mass produced item in Japan or just really professional looking hobbyist creation.

https://www.emporiumretrogamingshop...jong-converter-arcade-game-pcb-jamma-original

I tried my hand on creating the CP with a Hammond box but couldn't find a perfect match for 14mm square buttons I was hoping for.

Best one I could find was 1591XXFSBK which is around 22 x 15 x 5.8 cm (L x W x H) but with the 14mm buttons it just one button short to creating the commonly know row of buttons for a mahjong control panel. Maybe not the end of the world for casual play with SuperGun if the button layout isn't exact, but my first try was a bust with bad drills part and that I only have access to a small electric drill so I just ended up warping the plastic since too much force was required to make the holes. Will have to try a second time at some point.

Still interested if you have those spare adapters from your testing @buffi to make something out of them for myself :)

Last edited:
Yeah I have a spare of last version, which is 100% fine except the Speaker silkscreen being wrong. Will PM

Oh no way! How did I miss this???

Do these work with ST-V mahjong games?

Last edited:
This isn't directly related to the mahjong adapter, but something that I have noticed with my mahjong PCBs is that the contacts on the PCB edge don't quite exactly line up with the pins on the edge connector. I think the reason for this is that while JAMMA boards use the standard 3.96mm spacing, mahjong PCBs actually use 4.0mm spacing. Unfortunately 4.0mm edge connectors are quite difficult to source. This old, probably NOS, KEL edge connector is the only thing I could find after searching around for an hour. https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/detail/22131

I'm tempted to buy one of these to see if my theory is correct. While you can certainly use the standard 3.96mm connectors, they aren't ideal. Depending on how the connector is inserted, some of the contacts on either end of the PCB will only be making contact with half of the edge connector pin.

This isn't directly related to the mahjong adapter, but something that I have noticed with my mahjong PCBs is that the contacts on the PCB edge don't quite exactly line up with the pins on the edge connector. I think the reason for this is that while JAMMA boards use the standard 3.96mm spacing, mahjong PCBs actually use 4.0mm spacing. Unfortunately 4.0mm edge connectors are quite difficult to source. This old, probably NOS, KEL edge connector is the only thing I could find after searching around for an hour. https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/detail/22131

I'm tempted to buy one of these to see if my theory is correct. While you can certainly use the standard 3.96mm connectors, they aren't ideal. Depending on how the connector is inserted, some of the contacts on either end of the PCB will only be making contact with half of the edge connector pin.

This is kindof interesting tbh. Ive used this adapter with regular Jammma edge connectors on 40-50 pcbs or something with no real issues fwiw. Will have a look at some later this week to see if I can see this difference.

Do you have any examples pcbs I should be looking at?

Back